No announcement yet.

tapping the ring/middle finger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes i also tap my index finger on the table, i actually don't kno why I does this, maybe because subconciously ive seen the pro's do it. But when im down on the shot i don't even concentrate on my fingers and they seem to tap. hmmm weirdd..
    "I think it's a great idea to talk during sex, as long as it's about snooker".... Steve Davis ....

Comment

I've never understood this either.

Intially when I started playing, I didn't do it, but when I saw some of the pros do it, I thought it looked cool so I copied. Unfortunately, I realised that it was not natural and I was consciously trying to do something that wasn't for me.

I've asked players at my club why the pros (or themselves) tap their middle finger. Answers: it just happens, relaxes the bridge hand, getting ready for a spectacular shot.

What I have found now is that my middle finger taps on certain shots.

1. (Attempted deep) screw: must be because of the postion of my hand and the fingers spread further apart and the pressure being applied to get a low bridge hand.

2. Bridging for the ball close to the cushion: my alternative bridges on the cushion aren't particulary strong so instead of doing the loop bridge, I often bridge on the table. My hand/wrist is an akward position and this may trigger nerves that make my middle finger tap.

BTW, has anyone noticed Carter at the Welsh open tap his pointer finger? Or Hendry tap his ring finger? Or J. Higgins tap one of his fingers on his cue when using the rest?

Comment

QI had a bit recently about how the fingers have no muscles in them and are moved using tendons attached to muscles in the arm. The middle and ring fingers share the same tendon which can be demonstrated by forming a normal bridge and folding the middle finger under the hand so it is hidden. In this position it is impossible to lift the ring finger because of the shared tendon.

Maybe this has something to do with the tapping?

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
          So, if the tongue doesn't work, do you get it cut off, too?!?
          I'm definitely considering it Keith although I'm a bit worried I might not enjoy my din-dins as much if I do ... snooker or chips? tricky one that

Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
          QI had a bit recently about how the fingers have no muscles in them and are moved using tendons attached to muscles in the arm. The middle and ring fingers share the same tendon which can be demonstrated by forming a normal bridge and folding the middle finger under the hand so it is hidden. In this position it is impossible to lift the ring finger because of the shared tendon.

Maybe this has something to do with the tapping?
          or, more importantly, is that why I can't do a Mr Spock Vulcan salute?

Comment

I don't think this is something you should be choosing to do. I've found that it happens sometimes when I push down very hard to form a sturdy bridge and grip the cloth. It never happened until I followed the instructions from Jack Karnehm in his video.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
              more importantly, is that why I can't do a Mr Spock Vulcan salute?
              You can't do that? Really? I thought everyone could do that.

You should try the one up from that, too. You do the Vulcan salute, then you separate the two middle fingers from the two exterior ones and join the 2 middle ones together. It's a nice one at dull parties!
              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

You'll probably find a lot of people who have read this will start to do it sometimes now, even if they didn't before!!!

I think it's one of those yawning and scratching things...

If one person yawns others follow, if you keep scratching infront of someone they will eventually scratch too (although this doesn't work as easily as yawning!!) lol
                Highest Break
                Practice: 136 (2005)
                Match: 134 (2006)
                In 2011: 94
                Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
                  You'll probably find a lot of people who have read this will start to do it sometimes now, even if they didn't before!!!

I think it's one of those yawning and scratching things...

If one person yawns others follow, if you keep scratching infront of someone they will eventually scratch too (although this doesn't work as easily as yawning!!) lol
                  And there I go yawning! (No kidding either)
                  Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                  Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I just got into snooker and I realized selby, o'sullivan, hendry from watching them online.. I didn't understand it for a while and started to do it because ot looked soo cool lol. But i think i have an explanation.

place your hand flat on the table and move it around..

do the same thing but tap your middle finger..

I find that its harder to move my hand around while tapping the middle finger.

Comment

I think it is an area that is still relatively unknown. As I said on my other post in this thread, I do it on certain shots.

Talking about tapping the middle finger, I was watching Williams v Hunter (Masters Final) and MJW seems to almost exaggerate this tapping.

Comment

It's linked to what the players are thinking as they are playing their shot. When concentrating it's some sort of unconcious mannerism.

Comment

Working...
                        X