custom cues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
    depends what you mean by quality really. Craftsman can make a very good quality cue but like any cue maker they can also make some average stuff too. Mastercraft have two very experienced cue makers who used to be the main men at Lewis & Wilson before they went bust. Again it can be a little hit and miss but my mate has an Emerald Gem model with 4 extended splicings of Thuya and its a very nice stick indeed. Don't dismiss others cues just based on name. :snooker:
    I'm not that stupid, my opinion is based on the cues I've bought, seen, handled and played with. My opinion of quality is based on the way the cue looks, is finished and plays like. I stand by my statement.
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
      I'm not that stupid, my opinion is based on the cues I've bought, seen, handled and played with. My opinion of quality is based on the way the cue looks, is finished and plays like. I stand by my statement.
      Maybe not but should you dismiss others just because of your experience? Its okay recommending people but its not nice to say others can't make a quality cue just because of your opinion is it! You are damaging their reputation for starters and for what, because you think you know more about cues and your advice is gospel.

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
        should you dismiss others just because of your experience?I didn't dismiss anyone, just said they're not in the same league quality-wise Its okay recommending people but its not nice to say others can't make a quality cueI didn't say they can't make a quality cue just because of your opinionBut this forum is all about opinions, isn't it? Some based on concrete things is it! You are damaging their reputationThe only person damaging their reputations is you by saying they can't make a quality cue! for starters and for what, because you think you know more about cuesI do know more about these cues, and the ones made by the other cuemakers mentioned, than the guy looking for advice and your advice is gospelMy advice is just that, and can be ignored if wished
        You really should read other people's posts before over-reacting.

I'm glad that your friend's got a nice stick and I never said that Mastercraft and Craftsman can't make a good cue but you can't tell me that their cues are in the same league as Trev, Dave, Robin, Tony etc. At the end of the day, you just can't compare the products and I'm sure that Dave at Craftsman and Dave at Mastercraft would be the first to agree. The ways of working are different, the production scale is different, the quality control is different and this is reflected in the prices charged. I only make comments about products I know about and what I say is considered. The guy who asked for advice in this thread has never seen these cues, I have, and so, I gave my opinion on them. He can take it as "gospel" or not.
        Last edited by KeithinFrance; 19 February 2009, 12:13 AM.
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

If you compared the best cue that TW, MW, JP etc can build with the option of the best craftsman cue, master cue, Coutts cue etc.... would say that they are still equal quality wise?

Comment

I would say they would probably compare quite well. I think its more quality control issue, as long as you are buying a handmade cue (actually handmade by people who know what hteyre doing not chinese bloke in shed) ithen i think it should be possible to get a great cue. Even the chinese people, without sorting through the wood for the best pieces, would eventually come across that great piece of ash wihtout knowing it. The finishing will probably be better with the top makers, but thats purely cosmetic. I think its more a case of what your likely to get, your more likely to get a great cue from someone like trevor white or mike wooldridge because they would not let anything else leave thier workshop!
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              I would say they would probably compare quite well. I think its more quality control issue, as long as you are buying a handmade cue (actually handmade by people who know what hteyre doing not chinese bloke in shed) ithen i think it should be possible to get a great cue. Even the chinese people, without sorting through the wood for the best pieces, would eventually come across that great piece of ash wihtout knowing it. The finishing will probably be better with the top makers, but thats purely cosmetic. I think its more a case of what your likely to get, your more likely to get a great cue from someone like trevor white or mike wooldridge because they would not let anything else leave thier workshop!
              Yes and no, Rob. The issue is not just quality control, it's just quality. If you buy a cue from one of the top cuemakers then you're getting a guarantee of hand-picked wood for the shaft (most important) and for the butt. You are also getting a craftsmanship guarantee: if you buy a cue from, eg, Trev, you know who makes the cue. A cue from one of the top makers will have more care built into it, from the selection of the raw materials to the process used in shaping the wood, the time taken to let the wood settle and the build quality. If you have a cue from one of the top guys then you have a piece of quality and for every 60 cues made, there will be perhaps 1 "bad" one. For other makers, out of every 60 cues made, perhaps one will be pro standard.
              For example, Craftsman in Kippax offer the possibility to upgrade to a "pro shaft", which costs £60 more than a normal cue. So, if you have to upgrade to get a "pro" shaft, what grade is the normal shaft?

I'd say that you really do get what you pay for; a £100 cue can be great but it's a question of luck, you must be really lucky to get one whereas you'd be really unlucky to get a bad one from one of the top makers.

A really well-built cue will be designed to be perfect, to have the specs that the player wants and the playability that he wants too. Other cues can happen to be like that, but you have to be lucky to find one.

The finishing of cues is also very important, the splicing is not only cosmetic but practical, too. A well-spliced cue gives you feel and balance and weight, it's not just pretty. The actual finish is very important too, as it protects the cue from outside attacks and at the same time makes it a joy to play with. The taper of the cue is very important also, as it gives strength, solidity and consistency but it can also give flexibility and feel and a top cuemaker will give you the taper you want to provide you with the feel you want.

Everybody wants to find the "perfect" cue, and some people are lucky and find it by accident and some people pick a cue from a maker by price alone and it's "the" cue and others ask a top cuemaker to build them "the" cue and give them the specs and information necessary to ensure they get their wishes. None of the above will guarantee you the "perfect" cue, but one of the choices puts more chance on your side!

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
                If you compared the best cue that TW, MW, JP etc can build with the option of the best craftsman cue, master cue, Coutts cue etc.... would say that they are still equal quality wise?
                Dave Coutts deffo I dont know anybody who has seen a bad Coutts cue.

I rate him along side Trevor White - Mike Wooldridge and Robin Cook.

These 4 guys are the best in business!!!
                Just because its old, doesn't mean its worth a fortune!!

Comment

Yes and no, Rob. The issue is not just quality control, it's just quality. If you buy a cue from one of the top cuemakers then you're getting a guarantee of hand-picked wood for the shaft (most important) and for the butt. You are also getting a craftsmanship guarantee: if you buy a cue from, eg, Trev, you know who makes the cue. A cue from one of the top makers will have more care built into it, from the selection of the raw materials to the process used in shaping the wood, the time taken to let the wood settle and the build quality. If you have a cue from one of the top guys then you have a piece of quality and for every 60 cues made, there will be perhaps 1 "bad" one. For other makers, out of every 60 cues made, perhaps one will be pro standard.
                  For example, Craftsman in Kippax offer the possibility to upgrade to a "pro shaft", which costs £60 more than a normal cue. So, if you have to upgrade to get a "pro" shaft, what grade is the normal shaft?

I'd say that you really do get what you pay for; a £100 cue can be great but it's a question of luck, you must be really lucky to get one whereas you'd be really unlucky to get a bad one from one of the top makers.

A really well-built cue will be designed to be perfect, to have the specs that the player wants and the playability that he wants too. Other cues can happen to be like that, but you have to be lucky to find one.

The finishing of cues is also very important, the splicing is not only cosmetic but practical, too. A well-spliced cue gives you feel and balance and weight, it's not just pretty. The actual finish is very important too, as it protects the cue from outside attacks and at the same time makes it a joy to play with. The taper of the cue is very important also, as it gives strength, solidity and consistency but it can also give flexibility and feel and a top cuemaker will give you the taper you want to provide you with the feel you want.

Everybody wants to find the "perfect" cue, and some people are lucky and find it by accident and some people pick a cue from a maker by price alone and it's "the" cue and others ask a top cuemaker to build them "the" cue and give them the specs and information necessary to ensure they get their wishes. None of the above will guarantee you the "perfect" cue, but one of the choices puts more chance on your side!

Thats what i meant, only you put it better I dont get the craftsman pro shaft thing, even the most expensive cue they do doesn't come with this, in my opinion at least in the high end it should be included.
                  sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

ok i've narrowed mysearhdown to a custom made peradon cue or a custom robin cook?.........any advice on either

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerloopy_08 View Post
                      PM him, his username is trevs1
                      is this the only way to contact him?

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                        Thats what i meant, only you put it better I dont get the craftsman pro shaft thing, even the most expensive cue they do doesn't come with this, in my opinion at least in the high end it should be included.
                        Craftsman told me that the pro ash is not of a better quality just for specified grain patterns, No of chevrons etc.

This must be true because i asked how much to upgrade to a pro ash on my existing cue and they said there was no need as it would not improve the feel, just the looks.
                        http://e.imagehost.org/0813/Mellow_yellow_sig1.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by sangwsh View Post
                          is this the only way to contact him?
                          Yes, or you can PM ADR147 for his details

Comment

Originally Posted by philip1988 View Post
                            ok i've narrowed mysearhdown to a custom made peradon cue or a custom robin cook?.........any advice on either
                            Robin Cook! His cues are excellent and head and shoulders above Peradon. Don't even think about it, just go for Robin.

Comment

Robin Cook! His cues are excellent and head and shoulders above Peradon. Don't even think about it, just go for Robin.
                              peradon are fine if you know what you are ordering but yes if you have the budget go for robin.
                              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by Mellow Yellow View Post
                                Craftsman told me that the pro ash is not of a better quality just for specified grain patterns, No of chevrons etc.

This must be true because i asked how much to upgrade to a pro ash on my existing cue and they said there was no need as it would not improve the feel, just the looks.
                                Very honest of them but totally to be expected really. I guess that because certain people are very fussy over the grain and the amount of arrows that they take a lot of time sorting through their stocks to find exactly what a customer is after, or even going to their supplier to find the right bit of timber. I guess the £60 charge is acceptable for the time and effort they go to in finding what the customer asks for.

Comment

Working...
                                X