Object ball on cushion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Object ball on cushion

How do you get the object ball to roll along the cushion into the pocket? It always seems to just bounce off when I try to pot these.

aim to contact the object ball and the cushion as exactly the same time
    New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Running side on the cue ball will help the pot but will compromise your positional play, use at your discretion.

Comment

With running side you can actually try to hit the cushion a fraction before
        the object ball. The cue-ball will then push the object ball along the cushion.

Comment

If your table rolls off it will also make it an impossibility. I played an absolutely belter of a pot (from my opinion anyways) last week, red tight on the side cusion level with the baulk line, i was on the baulk cusion, hit it absolutely perfectly, ball rolling perfectly down the cusion, missed both jaws of the middle pocket, and then rolled off about a foot from the pocket.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Which is running side?

Comment

The one that will make the angle at which the cue-ball comes off the cushion wider...

Comment

it also depends which cushion you're trying to roll along ... the black end cushion or even black side cushions are an awful lot easier than the baulk cushions because the nap of the cloth helps the object ball hug the cushion - whereas at the baulk end it tends to pull it away from the cushion ...

not trying to teach you to suck eggs but if you didn't know already, the cloth is always fitted so that the nap runs from the baulk to the black end of the table ... unless the fitter is having a bad day of course!

which is why you always see pro's wipe a chalk mark off the table from baulk to black - never the other way round which would raise the nap ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                  it also depends which cushion you're trying to roll along ... the black end cushion or even black side cushions are an awful lot easier than the baulk cushions because the nap of the cloth helps the object ball hug the cushion - whereas at the baulk end it tends to pull it away from the cushion ...

not trying to teach you to suck eggs but if you didn't know already, the cloth is always fitted so that the nap runs from the baulk to the black end of the table ... unless the fitter is having a bad day of course!

which is why you always see pro's wipe a chalk mark off the table from baulk to black - never the other way round which would raise the nap ...
                  Good observation!
                  My deep screw shot
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Thanks.
                    Managed a couple of pots along cushions today, including a long yellow from the baulk line right down to the far corner pocket! Was really pleased. Thanks again.

Comment

You need to know the point in the pocket at which you need to aim the pot at. A lot of people aim at the far jaw unintentionally. You need to be very precise at aiming at the point just pass the near jaw.
                      When the ball is tight on the cushion, it is actually easier a pot than when it is a tiny bit off.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                      X