Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing

Hi,

Just wondering if somebody could explain the context of the word "timing" when used in a snooker sense. I have heard it used during various conversations from a whole range of sources... But (And as stupid as this makes me sound!) what does it mean?

I cannot understand the concept of "timing" to something that is stationary? In the sense that, if I hit a stationary ball now, or in 10 minutes time, how is there any difference? The ball is still under the same initial condition and no other variables have changed?

I assume therefore that "timing" does not refer to this context, but what exactly does it refer to?

It's use is found greatly when describing screw shots, etc (I have not really attempted these, but simply it is a fair example of the use of the term "timing").

Any input appreciated; Feel a fool asking what on the face of it sounds like a simple question, but it's really got me stumped!

Cheers

It's how you "hit" the white. In fact, you don't hit the ball, you accelerate through an object that is in your way and so the white does what you want it to do. The way you accelerate through the ball is your timing.

I hope that is clear, it's not at all easy to explain and if anybody else can explain it better, then please do!!
    Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

When you tighten your grip during your cue-action, you need a good a good timing. Especially when playing a power shot this is important.
      WVandeweyer Photography - Trevor White Cues Photo Collection (site)

Comment

You want to hit the white when you have maximum acceleration (meaning that your cue tip will stay on the cue ball for as long time as possible, thus giving you more control and power.), hence you need to time your acceleration.
        Last edited by hegeland; 4 March 2009, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by LavaChild View Post
          Hi,

I cannot understand the concept of "timing" to something that is stationary? In the sense that, if I hit a stationary ball now, or in 10 minutes time, how is there any difference? The ball is still under the same initial condition and no other variables have changed?

I assume therefore that "timing" does not refer to this context,
          Correct. It does not refer to timing of the white ball itself, but to the timing of your cue action; the back and for featherings, the pause, the strike and the follow through. Its all this that needs to have "timing". Well that is my interpretation of it at least.
          "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

The process of striking the ball ("through the white") with apparently little effort producing maximum results
            Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

this puzzled me for many years but I think I now understand ... "timing" applies to many if not all bat-on-ball sports - whatever the bat and ball are ...

what it's to do with is how long the "bat" and "ball" are in contact - it seems instant to the human eye but it very definitely isn't ... a human eye certainly can't detect less than 40 milliseconds - this is a fact because we perceive films or TV as continuous when in fact they are a series of still pictures shown 40 milliseconds apart or so ...

now I don't know how long an average contact between cue tip and cue ball is in snooker, but clearly, if you can make it longer with good "timing", you can impart more energy into the cue ball - this applies most noticeably if you are trying to impart spin - just watch Ronnie - OK he's playing on an ultra-fast table but nonetheless, he can get far more spin for far less effort than any of the other pro's on the same table ...

this is timing ... the general advice is to follow well through the cue ball and to accelerate the cue through the cue ball ... just as a golfer does - watch what they do after they've hit the ball - it's just as important as what they did before they hit the ball ...

another and equally valuable (imo) benefit of a good follow through (even if your timing isn't that great) is that it seriously helps propel the cue ball on the line you want ... you see, the cue ball does not go in the direction your cue is pointing, it goes in the direction your cue is travelling when you hit it ...

Comment

Working...
              X