Define high break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Define high break

I know this seems like an incredibly simple point but was something I've been considering a fair bit lately... What exactly is fair to define as a high break?

For example, a high break on a professional/match table is something completely different to one on a bog standard "bucket pocket" table?

And likewise, my previous high break was around 10 requiring three or four pots. In the past two games I played I cleared up the pink and black at the end for 13 points... Of course this is my new "high break" but it feels a little bit like cheating.

What would you define as a high break?

Low break is 30
    Mid break is 50
    High break is anything over 70

This is my opinion ofcourse.

Comment

I'm assuming you meant highest break lava? Many people define highest breaks in practice and match, however i would class both as a highest break as you have done the work to get it in both cases. Bear in mind that the red pink highest break scenario only works with low highest breaks like ours. The better you get the more effort is required whether your clearing the colours or not.
      If i were to play on a pro level match table i would personally state highest break on match table, and highest break on buckets table or something to that effect. Well to be honest the match one wouldnt be worth the effort so i would stricken that from my memory probably!
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
        I'm assuming you meant highest break lava?
        A bit of a pedant, eh?

Many people define highest breaks in practice and match, however i would class both as a highest break as you have done the work to get it in both cases. Bear in mind that the red pink highest break scenario only works with low highest breaks like ours. The better you get the more effort is required whether your clearing the colours or not.
        If i were to play on a pro level match table i would personally state highest break on match table, and highest break on buckets table or something to that effect. Well to be honest the match one wouldnt be worth the effort so i would stricken that from my memory probably!
        That's more the point; So when we read a typical high(est) break it is referring to match play on a usual bucket table unless otherwise stated?

I understand that in reality to people of "average or above" skill, the problem of a (very) small run of the colours meaning a comparatively good break no longer becomes an issue... But it still makes me feel uncomfortable I think I'll stick to assuming my best is 10 until I actually hit 13 in somewhat of a more convincing style (Well, as convincing as a break of 13 can be ).

Comment

It doesn't matter what table you play on. As long as it's full size. Every table is different in terms of cloth, pocket size, cut of the cushions around the pocket etc. Most of us are just club players, so these factors can't be controlled in terms of our high breaks.

Your high break should be your highest break in a competitive match. Or at the very least in a competitive frame against an opponent.

i.e. Not on the line up/practising on your own etc.

All IMHO.

Comment

Originally Posted by LavaChild View Post
            And likewise, my previous high break was around 10 requiring three or four pots. In the past two games I played I cleared up the pink and black at the end for 13 points... Of course this is my new "high break" but it feels a little bit like cheating.

I'd say 13. I know where you are coming from, but you have potted 2 consecutive balls i.e. a break. It doesn't really matter how many balls you pot, it could be red-yellow 4 times plus another red, which equals 13 or pink and black which equals 13. The break is the same.

But I'm quite sure you'd be more satisfied with the red-yellow combination in getting 13.

Comment

Originally Posted by LavaChild View Post
              I know this seems like an incredibly simple point but was something I've been considering a fair bit lately... What exactly is fair to define as a high break?

For example, a high break on a professional/match table is something completely different to one on a bog standard "bucket pocket" table?

my HB is 25 which were the last 5 colours ... prior to that it was 22 the last 4 colours ... and I hear the point you are making - in my experience, I have hit quite a few times 7 balls in a row but they've always been less than 25 ...

so, I'd be happy to pot 8 balls in a row even if it added up to less than my current HB ...

Comment

Your Highest Break Lava is just that. Whether it be in practice or a match..you still potted the balls legally so take pride in your HB.
                Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                  Your Highest Break Lava is just that. Whether it be in practice or a match..you still potted the balls legally so take pride in your HB.
                  in practice or a match? oh well, in that case, my HB is in the high 30's ... although I don't really count breaks on the very rare occasion I practice by myself for the simple reason it is far too easy (maybe subconsciously) to leave a ball in the jaws for next time ...

the only HB that counts (IMHO) is the best you have made when someone else is messing up the balls for you

Comment

But its perfectly pheasable in a match that you start with reds over the 3 pockets on one side of the table, black over another, pink another and blue over the middle. I think it owuld be different if i was playing in a league due to teh pressure etc. but just friendly matches i count the same as practice.

Comment

If you knock the balls in legally it doesnt matter how you lay the balls out in order to pot them that is your HB.
                      Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                      Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

But its perfectly pheasable in a match that you start with reds over the 3 pockets on one side of the table, black over another, pink another and blue over the middle. I think it owuld be different if i was playing in a league due to teh pressure etc. but just friendly matches i count the same as practice.
                        you must have nice friends RG ... in solo practice, you can position the balls where you want ... against another player of any standard, you can't ...

Comment

If you knock the balls in legally it doesnt matter how you lay the balls out in order to pot them that is your HB.
                          I must disagree with you there Roy!

Potting balls in practice in completely different to potting balls in a match. You only have to look at the amount of players that struggle to bring their practice form to a match to realise that.

A match break is a completely different animal considering the pressure and the "real" spread of the balls.

They are the only breaks that really count as they require that essential mental strength that is integral to snooker.

Comment

I'm beginning to have an opinion on this reading others:

I think practise should not count. At the end of the day, playing a game requires different skills to practise. If we use Roy's thinking:

you still potted the balls legally so take pride in your HB.
                            With regards to the term "legally": I think this conflicts with practise. At the end of the day, when you play a game you come to the table and the way the balls sit are how the opponent has left them. Nobody has physically handled the balls since removing the triangle (Or re-spotting a colour). In practise, you have the ability to place the balls which in my opinion now means this is not "legal".

To this extent, I would not consider a 3x reds and 3x colours over a pocket in practise a legitimate break... It simply is not realistic. Certainly, I'd rather admit to my 13 break than admit to a break where all balls were over the pocket in a practise situation...

In terms of league match/friend game: I'd treat these equally. Whenever I play a friend, I'm still trying my best and due to skill level I'm not in a position to play a league match... With this in mind, if I couldn't consider a high break from a friendly game then I wouldn't have a high break at all!

Comment

I would consider competition in a league or something a different high break. Competetive highest break or something. Playing friends regardless of how hard i am trying (im obviously trying my hardest or it would not be a high break of course), i would consider it equivalent to practice. You might say line up is a different thign to a real game but sometimes you just smash the balls up on your own and try and pot them all which i always do before i leave personally.

Comment

Working...
                              X