Define high break

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Strickimicki View Post
    If the people here who are knocking in high breaks of around twenty, do yourself a favor and don't count them!

Start counting your own personal HB after you have got over the 40 line!
    I think that appears sound advise...

At the moment my "high break" is 13, from only pink and black. Before then it was 10 with maybe 3 - 4 balls. This goes to demonstrate how at this stage breaks mean very little in terms of how good you are. Which was most rewarding? And demonstrated the best skill? The break of 10, for sure.

None the less, I'll no doubt keep a mental note of what my best has been, simply as it is impossible not to... But at the end of the day, until the break is sufficiently large that it no longer fluctuates massive due to the difference in value of one colour, it really isn't a representation of skill in any way.

Was an interesting angle to read... Thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by Strickimicki View Post
      I with all respect, have got to say a high break can or should only be counted when playing against an opponent* who also wants to win!
      *this can be yourself, if played with real emotion.
      I think i am happy to take this opinion given the comment at the end
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

well yes ... whilst as say RR and others have commented, you should be proud whatever you achieve on a snooker table ...

I totally agree the only HB that counts is when you are playing and someone else is messing up the balls for you ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
          well yes ... whilst as say RR and others have commented, you should be proud whatever you achieve on a snooker table ...

I totally agree the only HB that counts is when you are playing and someone else is messing up the balls for you ...
          Absolutely dandy. Whether your HB is 25 or 125 be proud.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

As I strode back to my stool, my opponent jumped to his feet shook my hand, said "Thanks for the show", and walked off.
            I had been so intent on going for my High Break I hadn't noticed what he had been doing...
            there in my open case ontop of my Mike Wooldridge cue towel was a large pile of possibly
            82 empty pistachio shells. True.
            [/QUOTE]

Joel,

I can not imagine the nerve and lack of respect for your equipment. Don’t worry, when we play, if I’m eating and you hit me with an 80's run, I’ll use your pocket.

Mike

Comment

Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
              As I strode back to my stool, my opponent jumped to his feet shook my hand, said "Thanks for the show", and walked off.
              I had been so intent on going for my High Break I hadn't noticed what he had been doing...
              there in my open case ontop of my Mike Wooldridge cue towel was a large pile of possibly
              82 empty pistachio shells. True.
              Joel, Noel

I can not imagine the nerve and lack of respect for your equipment. Don’t worry, when we play, if I’m eating and you hit me with an 80's run, I’ll use your pocket.

Mike[/QUOTE]

HaHaHa... if I play like last night it'll be me spotting balls for you mate!
              Either way Mike, I'm looking forward to it!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Your high break is the highest break you have made from a position on the table that has not been artificially manufactured (placing balls by hand), whether practising on your own or not. You can put the same pressure on yourself when approaching your highest break whether you have an opponent or not.

It's down to you and the balls, if an opponent was allowed to rush from his chair and tackle you, then snooker would be like other games. Seeing as your opponent cannot physically stop you, he should be out of your mind when you are at the table, not on your mind.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                  Your high break is the highest break you have made from a position on the table that has not been artificially manufactured (placing balls by hand), whether practising on your own or not. You can put the same pressure on yourself when approaching your highest break whether you have an opponent or not.

It's down to you and the balls, if an opponent was allowed to rush from his chair and tackle you, then snooker would be like other games. Seeing as your opponent cannot physically stop you, he should be out of your mind when you are at the table, not on your mind.
                  Totally agree here. Getting pedantic about match play or not match play is silly. As long as it's a reasonably realistic break (i.e. not reds and colours manually placed over the pockets), then you put in the work for the balls you potted and should consider it valid.

Let's not forget, you need all the encouragement you can get to keep focused and upbeat and get the maximum possible benefit from matches and training! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                  X