is this a foul?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a foul?

the white is touching a red on the baulk line close to the green spot - it's a touching ball ...

there's a red over the black corner pocket but the blue is in the way ...

since I am touching the red, I do a jump shot over the blue (without moving the touching red) and pot the red over the pocket ...

is that a foul or a legal shot?

couldn't you just do a plant on the blue? Since it's touching ball you technically hit the red first and the next ball you hit doesn't matter, right? Or am I wrong?
    #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Yes, this is a foul, jump shots are not legal in snooker.

Comment

Yes it is.

Section 2 Rule 19
        A jump shot is made when the cue-ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether touching it in the process or not.

There was nothing preventing you from playing the blue ball to hit the red over the pocket.

Comment

Yes it's a sticky one.

Of course, a jump shot does not apply once the cue-ball has made first contact with an object ball. And, it is often said, you are deemed to have hit the red if you are touching it at the start of the stroke.

However, the official answer is Yes, it's a foul. If you look at the wording of the jump shot rule, it is a foul if the cue-ball jumps over any ball without first having STRUCK an object ball. If you come to the table with a touching ball, you are indeed deemed to have hit it but the cue-ball has not STRUCK that red. So the jump shot would apply and it would be a foul of 4 points (or 5, of course, if the blue was touched in the process).

As mentioned above, it would be quite in order for you to strike the blue and plant the red in.

Comment

Yeah, but Section 2 Rule 19 also says:

except:
            (a) when the cue-ball first strikes one object ball and then jumps over another ball

The white is deemed to have already hit a ball on, and surely it can then jump over anything without it being a foul.

One more comment after reading The Statman's answer...

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
            However, the official answer is Yes, it's a foul. If you look at the wording of the jump shot rule, it is a foul if the cue-ball jumps over any ball without first having STRUCK an object ball. If you come to the table with a touching ball, you are indeed deemed to have hit it but the cue-ball has not STRUCK that red.
            This is a reasonable explanation and I accept it. However, if you have a touching ball you have obviously not hit nor struck it. I don't think the rules specifically say that you are "deemed to have hit it". You could just as easily phrase that "deemed to have struck it".
            Last edited by Odrl; 17 March 2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X