Verbally Nominating Free Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
    Therefore, both situations are exactly the same. You do not have to verbally declare the colour you are choosing. If it is not obvious to the referee, he must ask, and he cannot call foul unless he has asked and received no reply.
    Interesting stuff, ive had a foul called on me in a tournament in the past for not nominating a free ball, even though the referee didnt ask and it was obvious which ball i was aiming for. I remember think it was a bit harsh having a foul called when everyone knew which ball i was playing for, id only been playing for a few months at the time though and wasnt going to question the refs decision.
    New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

.....ive had a foul called on me in a tournament in the past for not nominating a free ball, even though the referee didnt ask and it was obvious which ball i was aiming for
      That was bad by the referee. If he (the referee) was in ANY doubt as to what ball you were going for, he should have asked. Was he an 'official' (i.e. obtained his status by examination) referee?
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
        That was bad by the referee. If he (the referee) was in ANY doubt as to what ball you were going for, he should have asked. Was he an 'official' (i.e. obtained his status by examination) referee?
        no he wasnt an official, he was a player who was one of the organisers of the tourny.
        It was really obvious which ball i was playing for and i potted it so im pretty sure there was no doubt in his mind that id hit the intended ball, but he said the rule was that you always have to nominate a free ball no matter what so it was a foul.
        Because of this ive got into the habbit of always nominating a free ball so i doubt the situation will happen again but if i does at least ill know im in the right
        New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Clarification Needed

1). If its not the responsibility of the striker to nominate by declaring if not asked by the referee, then he can take advantage of this. If the cue ball is snookered by the balls in the pack after potting a red and he plays a double border shot for one of the baulk colours quickly as soon as he came to the table so that the referee didn't had the opportunity then if the cue ball hit say green then he can claim that it was his intended colour.

2). Can a red ball also be nominated ? If the striker gets free ball and he decides to play the red ball, will he nominate the red by declaring either by himself or when asked by the referee as indeed the referee will be in doubt as to wether he is playing the red or a colour ball near the red. Isn't it odd that red ball will be nominated as usually its always the case that a colour ball is nominated

Comment

Originally Posted by Hyperonic View Post
            2). Can a red ball also be nominated ? If the striker gets free ball and he decides to play the red ball, will he nominate the red by declaring either by himself or when asked by the referee as indeed the referee will be in doubt as to wether he is playing the red or a colour ball near the red. Isn't it odd that red ball will be nominated as usually its always the case that a colour ball is nominated
            Absolutely. If I was refereeing and gave a free ball, and was unsure whether he was playing a colour or a red, I would ask him and penalise him 7 points if he did not respond.

Since he has a free ball, it is quite likely that if he chooses to play a red, there will be a colour in the similar direction. (The same would apply after the reds have gone, between the 'real' colour on, and the free ball option.)

Comment

Can the 7 points foul be interpreted like this that the striker will always have to declare the intended ball even when obvious but in the case of playing cue ball from the black ball area towards one of the baulk colours if the striker hasn't declared the colour and the referee is unsure of the colour the striker is attempting to play, then it will be a foul of 7 if the striker doesn't reply when asked by the referee.

Comment

sorry. I forgot to add this in the 1st line of my previous post:

will always have to declare the intended ball in the free ball case

Comment

Can the 7 points foul be interpreted like this in the free ball case that the striker will always have to declare the intended ball even when obvious but in the case of playing cue ball from the black ball area towards one of the baulk colours if the striker hasn't declared the colour and the referee is unsure of the colour the striker is attempting to play, then it will be a foul of 7 if the striker doesn't reply when asked by the referee.
                  No.

There is no distinction between the free-ball and the colour-after-red scenario.

If it's obvious, no problem.
                  If it's not obvious, the referee must ask.
                  If the referee asks and the player does not respond, foul 7 – regardless of the ball(s) or potential ball(s) available or hit.

Comment

I can't understand this rule

(iii) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes,

Comment

I can't understand this rule

(iii) plays at Reds, or a free ball followed by a Red, in successive strokes,
                      Well that means when you've potted a red, if you then go for another red in the next shot.

It is worded like that, to make it clear that if you go for the pink (say), and miss it but happen to hit a red, that is not the same as actually going for a red on the second shot.

Comment

Nomination

In the rules it is not stated that the striker nominates a colour after potting red. So does nomination only refer to free ball and when two colours are close to each other ?
                        It is a common perception among club players that nomination is done only by declaring. Therefore, when the striker is attempting to play an obvious colour after potting red, the colour is not seen as being nominated because the striker didn't declare, but when the striker declares one of the two closely situated colours it is viewed as nomination.

Comment

In the rules it is not stated that the striker nominates a colour after potting red. So does nomination only refer to free ball and when two colours are close to each other ?
                          It is a common perception among club players that nomination is done only by declaring. Therefore, when the striker is attempting to play an obvious colour after potting red, the colour is not seen as being nominated because the striker didn't declare, but when the striker declares one of the two closely situated colours it is viewed as nomination.
                          "Nominated Ball" is defined in the Rules under Section 2 (Definitions). The "nominated ball" is the one declared (i.e. verbally) or indicated to the referee's satisfaction.

Therefore if the player is aiming towards two or more potential balls on (or has a touching ball on one but could be aiming towards another), and is not satisfied by the circumstantial nomination, he will ask for a verbal nomination.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                            "Nominated Ball" is defined in the Rules under Section 2 (Definitions). The "nominated ball" is the one declared (i.e. verbally) or indicated to the referee's satisfaction.
                            My question was which ball is called nominated ball ? Can the red also be called as the nominated ball when the striker, after potting a colour, attempts to play it by indicating to the satisfaction of the referee?

Comment

Can the red also be called as the nominated ball when the striker, after potting a colour, attempts to play it by indicating to the satisfaction of the referee?
                              Once you have potted a colour, red is automatically the next ball on (unless there are no reds left, then the Yellow becomes the ball on).
                              However, if you have potted a colour as a free ball, then you must go for a colour. If the refere is unsure which colour you are going for he will (or should) ask. The same applies if you are taking a colour as the free ball. If the referee is unsure which colour you are attempting he will ask.
                              To avoid all confusion, and save yourself getting penalised, it is always best to nominate your free ball, even if it is blindingly obvious to all and sundry, which one you are attempting.
                              You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                                To avoid all confusion, and save yourself getting penalised, it is always best to nominate your free ball, even if it is blindingly obvious to all and sundry, which one you are attempting.
                                Why does this best to nominate apply only to free ball ? Why is it not said that it is best to nominate obvious colour ball after potting red ?
                                Last edited by Hyperonic; 12 April 2009, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X