No announcement yet.

Verbally Nominating Free Ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your original post was about verbally nominating a free ball. It doesn't always apply to just that. Some players nominate their colour even when it is obvious.
    As a referee, I don't mind if a player verbally nominates or not. I would expect him (her) to verbally nominate when given a free ball, which colour he is going to take. All the players I have refereed have normally verbally nominated their free ball colour anyway.
    Verbally nominating a ball (whether free or not) makes it clear to the referee, and his opponent, what ball he is going to take. There can then be no argument afterwards.
    You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
      As a referee, I don't mind if a player verbally nominates or not. I would expect him (her) to verbally nominate when given a free ball, which colour he is going to take.
      Verbally nominating a ball (whether free or not) makes it clear to the referee, and his opponent, what ball he is going to take. There can then be no argument afterwards.

I can understand what your are stating but my question is that why is there emphasis or expectation for verbal nomination only for free ball and not for colour, after red has been potted ?
      If the striker is expected to nominate the free ball by declaring even when obvious, then why is he not expected to delcare for every obvious colour ball after potting red ?
      Why is the disctinction in emphasis or expectation made between the two cases when in the rules there isn't ?

Comment

You are correct in that in the Official Rules, there is no mention that a player has to verbally declare which ball he is going to strike after potting a colour or as a free ball.
        I have checked both the late John Street's and The Sussex Referees Asociation handbooks to see what is in them. There is nothing in the SRA handbook. However, in JS book, he states (free ball situation):
        "Again, here, the word 'nominates' does not necessarily mean 'declares verbally' as it may be obvious which ball has been nominated. Some referees think this is an exception where a verbal declaration is necessary but this is not the case."
        I think historically, players have always verbally declared which ball they are about to strike when given a free ball.
        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

"12. Nominated Ball
          (a) A nominated ball is the object ball which the striker declares, or indicates to the satisfaction of the referee, he undertakes to hit with the first impact of the cue-ball.
          (b) If requested by the referee, the striker must declare which ball he is on."

"13. Free Ball
          A free ball is a ball which the striker nominates as the ball on when snookered after a foul (see Section 3 Rule 10)."

There is no situation where you actually have to nominate a ball, unless
          the referee tells you to do so.

Comment

yes, interesting discussion and I understand and appreciate all that's been said ... that there's no reason you have to *verbally* nominate a free ball ...

but there again, say in a free ball situation with reds on the table, the natural ball on is a red - so if you choose a colour instead, isn't it wise to verbally nominate ...

you also see pro's verbally nominate if they are rolling up to a colour (potted a red - not a free ball) in case they don't reach ... even if it is blindingly obvious which colour they are rolling up to ...

surely the good advice is to verbally nominate if there could be any shadow of doubt ... after all, isn't there a catch all rule that the ref's decision is final ... even if the ref has got the wrong end of the stick ...

there can't be any shadow of doubt if you have said (for instance) "pink" and the ref has repeated "pink ball" as of course, all the refs do to show they have heard you ...

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
              but there again, say in a free ball situation with reds on the table, the natural ball on is a red - so if you choose a colour instead, isn't it wise to verbally nominate ...
              The same can be said about the obvious colour after potting red because the striker can play from one of the 6 colours on the table and in this situation also, the striker can remove the doubt as to which ball he is on by verbally nominating each time he goes for a colour after potting red.
              But you don't see that happening. The players themselves declare only when playing free ball, even when obvious, and when after potting red there are colours situated close together. You don't see declaration for obvious colour after every red once the break has started.
              Last edited by Hyperonic; 13 April 2009, 02:55 AM.

Comment

I think the reason this is so often said only about the free ball and not about the colour-after-a-red scenario is that, in previous versions of the Rule, verbal declaration of the free ball was compulsory.

In 1980 (1 December, I believe), the rule was changed to bring all colour nominations in line with each other. Since that date it is not compulsory to verbally declare your choice of ball unless requested by the referee.

Possibly, the rule covering failure to declare when asked was not updated to make clear that it then referred to both the colour-after-red scenario and also the free ball.

Comment

Working...
                X