snooker ball size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snooker ball size

I was wondering whats the size professional uses during competitions?

I've played on different snooker tables in different billiard places and there was one place that I find it harder to play and it seems the balls are a bit smaller..

but i can notice like a huge difference in terms of aiming them and potting balls in compared to places i usually go to where they have the 'bigger' ball.

And also if i played a lot or practiced a lot on those so called 'bigger' balls wont that affect me a lot when i play on tables with smaller balls?

They should be of diameter 52.5mm with a tolerance of +/- 0.05mm.
    "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest View Post
      They should be of diameter 52.5mm with a tolerance of +/- 0.05mm.
      Thats 2 1/16" in old money
      “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Originally Posted by submarine View Post
        Thats 2 1/16" in old money
        Approximately, yes, except that balls that are 2 1/16" would not be acceptable within the official rules. 2 1/16" is 52.3875mm, which is outside the permitted range of 52.45mm to 52.55mm
        David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Yes you're right, I will take myself away for some stern words!
          “There are a lot of good players capable of winning the title but as long as I’m still in it they’ve got a headache.” Stephen Hendry

Comment

Hmmm.... Wasn't it 52.4mm?

Comment

As davis_greatest said 52.5 ±0.05mm, though I doubt that they are ever measured. Usually they measure at the lower limit these days, just a tad over 2-1/16".

Comment

Section 1 Rule 2 states:

The balls shall be of an approved composition and shall each have a diameter of 52.5mm with a tolerance of +/- 0.05mm and:

(a) they shall be of equal weight with a tolerance of 3g per set

(b) a ball or set of balls may be changed by agreement between the players or on a decision by the referee.

There is no mention of imperial sizes in the official rules. This is a bit odd as the table dimensions, radius of the 'D', baulk line and distance of the black spot from the top cushion, all have distances/sizes in both metric and imperial measures.
                Last edited by DawRef; 6 April 2009, 08:04 PM.
                You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                  (a) they shall be of equal weight with a tolerance of 3g per set
                  Hi DawRef, can you confirm - even though there is no nominal weight in the specification - that the weight tolerance is not ±3g, but, that across the set there should be no more than three grams difference between the heaviest and the lightest ball?

The rule says "...WITHIN a tolerance of 3g per set.", since there is no nominal weight there can be no ± value, this is different from the size/diameter where the nominal dimension is given.
                  Last edited by moglet; 6 April 2009, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by moglet View Post
                    Hi DawRef, can you confirm - even though there is no nominal weight in the specification - that the weight tolerance is not ±3g, but, that across the set there should be no more than three grams difference between the heaviest and the lightest ball?

The rule says "...WITHIN a tolerance of 3g per set.", since there is no nominal weight there can be no ± value, this is different from the size/diameter where the nominal dimension is given.
                    im guessing it means no more than 3g difference between the heaviest and lightest ball.

Ive been wondering is there any set weight for an individual ball because ive played on an aweful lot of tables where the white ball is lighter than the rest, I dont know how this happens but if there was a standard weight for the balls then even if white gets changed between sets there wouldnt be a problem.

As the rules stand now it seems you could have two sets of balls with one set weighing twice as much as the other as long as they are within the 3g tolerance and both sets would be legal
                    New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Originally Posted by Forman View Post
                      As the rules stand now it seems you could have two sets of balls with one set weighing twice as much as the other as long as they are within the 3g tolerance and both sets would be legal
                      Yes, although the rules do say they must be of an "approved composition", whatever that is, so I don't think they would approve large ping pong balls.

Comment

I have never weighed them, but I heard once somewhere that a snooker ball will normally be somewhere in the region of 147g, rather splendidly!

I've always taken the weight tolerance to be between the lightest and heaviest ball in the set.

Comment

Indeed.

Aramith Tournament Champion Balls are just around 142g.
                          Difference from lightest to heaviest in my set is 0.4g.

Comment

Working...
                          X