No announcement yet.

Question about Jump Shot & Four-handed Snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes Statman. You are correct. It was quite late when I posted reply.
    You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
      Yes Statman. You are correct. It was quite late when I posted reply.
      Cool, no problem. Hopefully it will not be as late when the situation crops up for real!

Comment

(e) Partners may confer during a frame but not
        (i) whilst one is the striker and at the table

Does this mean that if the striker comes at the table but hasn't taken position for the shot, he can't confer with his partner? What is the reason/logic behind this rule of not conferring with the partner once at the table and till the break ends ?

Is it lawful, and if not then what will be the penalty if the striker is snookered and his partner helps him to get out of snooker by keeping his finger on a specific point on the cushion and the striker then plays at that point of the cushion ?

(d) A penalty of seven points is incurred if the striker
        (ii) uses any object to measure gaps or distance,
        Last edited by Hyperonic; 16 April 2009, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Does this mean that if the striker comes at the table but hasn't taken position for the shot, he can't confer with his partner?
          Yes. Once their opponents have finished their turn, they are no longer the striker. Therefore, as soon as one player approaches the table, even though he may not have taken up a position, he is considered the striker and therefore, cannot confer with his (her) partner.
          Unfortunately, in Pool, conferring is allowed, and I think that this has been considered the same in snooker. As far as I am aware, conferring has NEVER been allowed in snooker

Is it lawful, and if not then what will be the penalty if the striker is snookered and his partner helps him to get out of snooker by keeping his finger on a specific point on the cushion and the striker then plays at that point of the cushion ?
          No. It is not lawful. In pairs, the striker's partner is considered an extension of the striker. (see Staman's response to my reply below). Therefore, by using his finger for marking where his partner should hit the cushion, would not only incur a penalty of seven points (as you have pointed out) but also be construed as conferring.

Comment

What counts as an object to measure gaps or distance? For instance, can a player use his fingers - e.g. to try to work out whether a colour will spot?

(He must be able to use his eyes and brain, otherwise the game would be difficult. If not his fingers, what about his nose?)
            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

What counts as an object to measure gaps or distance? For instance, can a player use his fingers - e.g. to try to work out whether a colour will spot?
              His chalk, a coin, keyring, etc. Anything that will aid him in playing his next stroke. What I have seen players do, is to use their finger to see where to hit the cushion and leave a sort of mark there. They then aim to hit that point on the cushion.Most players use their cue, and leave a chalk mark. If I'm refereeing and a player does this, I usually just walk round and brush the chalk off. If a player continually does this, I may warn him. If the mark was already there from a previous stroke, then that is OK. The player himself hasn't put it there deliberately to aid him in getting out of any future snooker.

Not sure what any other referees on this forum think.

Comment

Working...
              X