No announcement yet.

Women vs Men

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The answer is obvious here. Snooker shots require physical movements. With men being physically superior, they can execute shots better.

I have no idea if the argument about men being more intelligent is true, but even if it wasn't... Even if there was a female player with the perfect shot selection and a perfect understanding of angles and the physics in snooker, there is no way she could execute shots as well as a top male player could.

If there is a sport where physical movements are important, but there are still some top female players... that just means there's not enough people playing it to filter the women out.

No offence intended of course.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
      The answer is obvious here. Snooker shots require physical movements. With men being physically superior, they can execute shots better.

I have no idea if the argument about men being more intelligent is true, but even if it wasn't... Even if there was a female player with the perfect shot selection and a perfect understanding of angles and the physics in snooker, there is no way she could execute shots as well as a top male player could.

If there is a sport where physical movements are important, but there are still some top female players... that just means there's not enough people playing it to filter the women out.

that is a bit sexist to be honest...........

there's no 1 way to play the game....

some people are physically strong and they thump a ball in....others are touch players.....

Dave Harold looks like a Strong man physically however hes got no cue power and plays on touch alone.....

Mark Williams is a touch player that rolls balls in. Although he has got a power game if he can avoid it avoid it he will...

there's no physical or mental reason why men are better than women at snooker.

just that more play it...

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post

really? can you explain why? It's not as if snooker was requiring much brute strenght is it?

I find the last sentence particularly endearing ...
        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
          really? can you explain why? It's not as if snooker was requiring much brute strenght is it?

If you have excellent control of the cue ball and knowledge of angles, I guess brute strength wouldn't really be required. You would always be in position with a good angle to play a shot which didn't require a lot of cue power.

It is mostly when you dont have a good angle that you have to depend on your cue power.

I have another thought on this. It seems to me (I dont have any concrete basis for this) that women in sports seem to succumb to pressure much more easily than men. Even when women play amongst themselves in a pressure situation (for eg. in tennis, badminton ) it seems like they are looking not to make mistakes or unforced errors . Just a thought
          "We have met the enemy and he is us" - Pogo

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
            that is a bit sexist to be honest...........

there's no 1 way to play the game....

some people are physically strong and they thump a ball in....others are touch players.....

Dave Harold looks like a Strong man physically however hes got no cue power and plays on touch alone.....

Mark Williams is a touch player that rolls balls in. Although he has got a power game if he can avoid it avoid it he will...

there's no physical or mental reason why men are better than women at snooker.

just that more play it...
            I don't think it's sexist to say that men are physically superior to women. The question is if that affects the ability to play snooker.

Well... It takes less effort for a man to play a shot. I suppose that gives them an edge in accuracy as well. Obviously the more physical strength the sport requires, the bigger the gap. It's not much in snooker but it does make a difference at the top level. You won't find a woman that can play a deep screw like Robertson can, probably not even one that can play it like Dott.

If you look at taking a free throw in basketball... When you're ten years old you try all sorts of tricks to even be able to throw it as far as the rim. Then you come to the point where it's not a problem for you, and you can apply proper technique that gives you a better chance of the ball going in. But when you grow physically stronger, you basically still use the same technique, but less effort goes into getting the distance and more into accuracy.

That's where I think women are at a disadvantage.

Comment

Originally Posted by tallguy View Post
              If you have excellent control of the cue ball and knowledge of angles, I guess brute strength wouldn't really be required. You would always be in position with a good angle to play a shot which didn't require a lot of cue power.

It is mostly when you dont have a good angle that you have to depend on your cue power.

I have another thought on this. It seems to me (I dont have any concrete basis for this) that women in sports seem to succumb to pressure much more easily than men. Even when women play amongst themselves in a pressure situation (for eg. in tennis, badminton ) it seems like they are looking not to make mistakes or unforced errors . Just a thought
              I don't think it's a question of pressure. But I do think that on average women are less competitive (again "on average"). That goes back to our nature of primates living in open spaces (just like baboons ... yes guys!) where the society is organised so that male compete for dominance over the group (and its protection by the strongest) while females are more oriented towards perpetuation of the species and caring for the young (and selection of the "best" father" for their offsprings ).
              Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
              http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Husband and wife driving along in car and she gets lost in countryside even though she read the map, husband says to wife: "Why are you so beautiful and yet so stupid?" Wife says "let me explain dear... God made me beautiful so you would be attracted to me and he made me stupid so that I would be attracted to you."

Comment

there's some interesting points in this thread monique's right about the genius and idiot thing.also the numbers issue is a big factor if you had 1 million men and 1 thousand women you are going to find a better percentage of players from the male group.as for phisical strenght there are some sports like football,rugby,tennis and basketball were women will never be as good. but in sports like snooker,darts,pool and even golf i dont see why a women cant be as good as a man there are some top women golfers obviously they cant hit as far but theres alot more to golf than distance. plus they can earn millions and make a living from it.

Comment

Darts is another that dosen't require physical strength or fitness as long as you can reach the board with the dart. must be the hunter instinct that someone mentioned previously.

Comment

Its hand and eye co-ordination, nothing more, nothing less.
                      Men have it naturally, some better than others, women, naturally, don't have it as good as as men.
                      Women can never compete with men at sport and games so that's why they have their own tours and championships.
                      The only ones that reach mainstream tv are the ones where they can show off their knickers, tennis, athletics, figure skating and beach volleyball, sexist ? yes, because that's exactly what it is.

If women played snooker dressed only in bikinis, then they too would make a good living at it, not the ones who win the tournaments, but the ones with the biggest tits and fittest arses, after all, Maria Sharapova hardly ever wins a tournament, but the media's eyes are on her every bloody wimbledon, cameras right up her skirt, and what a disapoinment last year, SHORTS.

Comment

I don't think it's a question of pressure. But I do think that on average women are less competitive (again "on average"). That goes back to our nature of primates living in open spaces (just like baboons ... yes guys!) where the society is organised so that male compete for dominance over the group (and its protection by the strongest) while females are more oriented towards perpetuation of the species and caring for the young (and selection of the "best" father" for their offsprings ).
                        could be but Christ there's been some fierce competitive women in Tennis...

then you got Liz Mccolgan and Paula Radcliffe they would run through the pain barrier to win.

i just think Snooker clubs up and down this country (i say this country because i have no idea of policy in other countries) has some weird attitude towards letting women in and they have been very much male dominated environment...therefore you get more men playing and its easier to get the men through the ranks...

Comment

As for the future of snooker, in all likelyhood the best quality matches will not be made by a woman...
                          but it's a certainty the best quality players will be.

You know what I mean.

=o\

Noel

Comment

I shall work on a way of cloning ronnie just to prove you wrong Noel
                            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

can anyone think of any sport where woman compete with men at the top level?
                              the only one i could come up with is horse riding.

i think men are naturally stronger and have better co-ordination than woman so even in sports that dont require a great deal of strength men will always dominate.

having said that i would love to see women competing on the main tour one day and wish rennae evans the best of luck in her attempt to qualify.
                              New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

synchronised swimming?

How about womens volleyball they're much better than men at that
                                sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X