Black ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black ball

if there is just the black ball left and my opponent is leading by 10 points, is it still possible for me to win (can't you tell I'm a novice)

No, there isn't. You cannot try for snookers with only the black left.
    Robbo's potting is so good he doesn't need to bother with positional play like the rest of the players. He laughs in the face of those who spend hours on the practice table perfecting their cue ball control! ~ Forman
    2009 Grand Prix Fantasy Game winner

Comment

no the game is over you have to be 7 or less.

Comment

no, because you can't get a snooker with a single ball on the table, and if you pot the black you will only gain 7 points.

Comment

Originally Posted by balcon View Post
          if there is just the black ball left and my opponent is leading by 10 points, is it still possible for me to win (can't you tell I'm a novice)
          No.

The first score or foul on the black ends the game. So even if your opponent fouls, you will still lose the frame, but by only 3 points instead of 10!

If the difference is 7 points then a foul or pot could level the scores – so we have a re-spot. (if the black or the white is still on the table after the foul, you DO NOT play from the position left; the black is spotted, the white from the D)

Comment

The only time when potting the black ball could win you the match in your scenario, is if the match is decided on aggregate scores. In this case, even though you are 10 points behind with only the black left, by potting the black you could win by say 1 point (frame scores being 67/70 after you pot the black; aggregate scores, say over 2 frames, being 157/156).
            If, after potting the black, the aggregate scores are level (despite you losing that frame), then it is a re-spotted black to decide the winner.
            You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

I have always wonder why you can't lay a snooker behind one of the pocket's cushion? You know what I mean? If you are that skilled I think you can actually lay a snooker there
              #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

I have always wonder why you can't lay a snooker behind one of the pocket's cushion? You know what I mean? If you are that skilled I think you can actually lay a snooker there
                No. Section 3 Rule 4 states:
                When only the Black is left, the first score or foul ends the frame excepting only if the following conditions both apply:
                (i) the scores are then equal, and
                (ii) aggregate scores are not relevant.

So, once the pink is potted and a player is more than 7 points in front (or behind), then unless aggregate scores are involved, that is the end of the frame (and/or match).

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                  No. Section 3 Rule 4 states:
                  When only the Black is left, the first score or foul ends the frame excepting only if the following conditions both apply:
                  (i) the scores are then equal, and
                  (ii) aggregate scores are not relevant.

So, once the pink is potted and a player is more than 7 points in front (or behind), then unless aggregate scores are involved, that is the end of the frame (and/or match).
                  But what if a player snooker himself behind a pocket after he has potted the pink and the score is for example 58-50 (after potting the pink), if he misses the black, then the score is 58-57 but according to the rules the frame is over when there is only the black ball left. Could the player concede frame victory at the moment when he's snookered behind the pocket?
                  #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Player A is 52-50 in front with only Pink and Black left. Player A pots the Pink. He is now 58-50 in front. He decides to attempt the Black but fails to hit it. He is now, as you state, 58-57 in front. When he attempted the Black and missed it, that was a foul. Therefore, as the opening line of Section 3 Rule 4 states, "When only the Black is left, the first score or foul ends the frame....."

Comment

No, even if your opponent was to make a foul, it would be end of frame.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                        Player A is 52-50 in front with only Pink and Black left. Player A pots the Pink. He is now 58-50 in front. He decides to attempt the Black but fails to hit it. He is now, as you state, 58-57 in front. When he attempted the Black and missed it, that was a foul. Therefore, as the opening line of Section 3 Rule 4 states, "When only the Black is left, the first score or foul ends the frame....."
                        By this, you could actually loose a frame even though you have a 58-57 lead?

Comment

Originally Posted by Viktortheman View Post
                          By this, you could actually loose a frame even though you have a 58-57 lead?
                          If you have a 58-57 point lead at the end, you have won the frame! The foul ends the frame, not loses the frame.
                          "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                          David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest View Post
                            If you have a 58-57 point lead at the end, you have won the frame! The foul ends the frame, not loses the frame.
                            OK, I get it now But it's a tricky situation and if its occur, I hope the referee knows the rules

Comment

Working...
                            X