No announcement yet.

were you entertained?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the general consensus thus far is that the majority of people enjoyed the tournement. If maybe I changed the angle a touch and asked which world champs is or were everyones favourite and why?

Mine personally as sad as it maybe was the 1986 comp, purely for Joe Johnsons general play, I can't remember a tournement where someones long potting was so consistant time and time again. And for me the way he outplayed Davis in the final and in his prime was one of the best matches for my money

I know for certain there I will be in the minority
    Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

I found this years tournament much better than last years, where there was three players in the semifinals that wasn´t expected and a huge favorit up against a player with a complex against him. That beeing said I also think there are too many framewinning clearances in snooker nowadays. If you watch snooker from the 80´ties, there are ovations when a player passes 50, today there´s silence.

I wonder what would happen if the old and very slow tables from back then was reintroduced, probably a lot of complaints about people missing the centuries.
      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
        So the general consensus thus far is that the majority of people enjoyed the tournement. If maybe I changed the angle a touch and asked which world champs is or were everyones favourite and why?

Mine personally as sad as it maybe was the 1986 comp, purely for Joe Johnsons general play, I can't remember a tournement where someones long potting was so consistant time and time again. And for me the way he outplayed Davis in the final and in his prime was one of the best matches for my money

In 1986 I was 3 but the best long potting I can remember is Murphy in 2005.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post

This is a good one, and one I'm going to have to think about, as I've watched them all from 1980 to 1997, and then 2002 followed by 2004 to the present day. I think the ones that spring to mind are: 1982, 1985, 86, 87, 90 and 94. 1985, 86 and 87 were all particularly memorable for different reasons, as were 90 and 94, but my favourite one has to be 82, I think. Alex at his very best, and he needed to be, against Reardon who wanted it an 8th time. It's over-used, but "Genius at work" was the only way to describe Higgins, and 82 was his chef d'oeuvre.
          You're not alone in liking '86, by the way, it was 2nd on my list, archalf! Not so sad after all, my friend.
          Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

hmmmmm

We havnt had a decent tournament since 2005.

2006, Dott, Ebdon final, need i say more!

2007, dismal

2008, bearable, 2 147s however did entertain, but awful final!

Iv been following snooker closely for over 25 years and have attended many tournaments, from quallifiers to several world championships, including finals. I am a keen student of the game and found every part of this years championship substandard.

The pockets were far too big, manholes. To see balls constantly bouncing down the rails and dropping is ridiculous. The commentary is pathetic. Several times commentators would say ' i dont know much about so and so etc'. F beor beinging paid to commentate these 'amateurs' should read up on the players involved.

Even more annoying are factual errors. John Parrott is notorious for this. Example, Wenbo made 147, 139, 137, 129,and 93 in a quallifying match. In truth he made 147, 139,139, 115. Also he stated Ronnie played John Higgins in the final of 1991 world junior masters, when infact Higgins played Mark Williams in the final.

Furthermore, untill the investigations into Ebdon and Burnett are properly concluded a dark cloud will hang over professional snooker.
            Last edited by circle; 6 May 2009, 10:27 PM.

Comment

So, which is your fave, then?
              Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

yes, I was entertained. I think Higgins played a great tournament, fighting back and never gave up. we also saw some fine safety battles. I think yes, two great weeks.

Comment

Until the Final, yes.

Comment

The game used to be difficult, so difficult that only a few or even one would reach the pinnacle.

But another thing for me is that the game, because it was so difficult, had a beauty about when played at it's zenith. Those of us who played it knew just when someone was playing beautiful snooker, because we couldn't even dream of playing like that.
                    This years WSC is summed up for me by Michaela Tabb, heavily made up, wearing chandelier earings, not allowing her natural beauty to shine.
                    Just like the Betfred.com WSC, eighty odd century breaks, but on easy tables where someone playing beautiful snooker can be beaten by someone slamming them in off the jaw, unnatural and tarted up.

Comment

Working...
                    X