No announcement yet.

Butt Diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The butt diameter is usually measured across the widest point, so usually near enough right at the base of the cue. Most cue makers tend to go for a standard 29.5mm these days if you don't specify, Parris is usually 30.5mm which is what my cue is. 1mm doesn't sound much but I had a cue made without specifying the butt diameter and it was 29mm and it was amazing just how slim that seemed to my other cue.

Comment

indeed

However, most players move their grip up and down the butt depending on type of shot.

im about to order a new custom cue, butt diameter and shaft taper are my concerns.

Comment

Originally Posted by circle View Post
        However, most players move their grip up and down the butt depending on type of shot.

im about to order a new custom cue, butt diameter and shaft taper are my concerns.
        What you should do is go to your local B&Q and buy a pair of callipers, you can pick up a basic model for a couple of quid, most likely, this way you can take the cue(s) you want and measure away to your heart's content.
        Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

i have to say i'm dissapointed....

18 posts under the thread "Butt Diameter" and not one person has mentioned how fat their wife's arse is!

surely im not the only one childish enough to snigger at the thread title?
          Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by steedee View Post
            i have to say i'm dissapointed....

18 posts under the thread "Butt Diameter" and not one person has mentioned how fat their wife's arse is!

surely im not the only one childish enough to snigger at the thread title?
            Well, if it'd have said 'butt width', then perhaps, but as it's diameter we're talking about, I don't reckon many would know - most calipers only measure up to 30cm!
            Il n'y a pas de problemes; il n'y a que des solutions qu'on n'a pas encore trouvées.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put in a fruit salad." Brian O'Driscoll.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
              Well, if it'd have said 'butt width', then perhaps, but as it's diameter we're talking about, I don't reckon many would know - most calipers only measure up to 30cm!
              Sorry, Keith but i have to correct you there....
              Most calipers only measure up to 150mm.
              (we machine guys all have them and we speak in mm. cm is for carpenters... )

So it is even more nor suited to measure a butt width.
              I am confused... Oh wait... Maybe I'm not...

Comment

Originally Posted by ChatLag View Post
                Sorry, Keith but i have to correct you there....
                Most calipers only measure up to 150mm.
                (we machine guys all have them and we speak in mm. cm is for carpenters... )

So it is even more nor suited to measure a butt width.
                I stand corrected; I was thinking of a ruler!! Not an engineer, me.

Comment

Originally Posted by KeithinFrance View Post
                  I stand corrected; I was thinking of a ruler!! Not an engineer, me.
                  That's understandable as a ruler is more the tool of a teacher.

Comment

Originally Posted by chatlag View Post
                    that's understandable as a ruler is more the tool of a teacher.
                    Very true, my friend. :d

Comment

Reminds me of something that happened when I was making my final year electronics project. I find some mechanical engineers quite funny, I needed a heatsink made for my electronics project about a month ago, so I found some 1mm sheet aluminium and took it to the mechanical engineers to cut on the guillotein. First off he asked how big I wanted it cut, I said, well 1 inch to 1.5 inches high, something like that. He couldn't understand that I didn't care how big and made me decide on a specific size, which he then went to measure with a pencil and a ruler.
                      After I'd finally got that cut I said, any chance you could drill two holes in it to bolt onto the chips. He replied "OK but you'll need to get some callipers out and tell me the exact distance". I had a green pen with me, so i put the piece of metal up to the chips, and drew to circles and told him thats where I wanted the holes. Again he insisted this wasnt good enough and I would have to get some callipers. In the end i gave up and went to our workshop in the electronics lab. I centre punched the two green circles, stuck a few bolts in and low and behold it fit!!!
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

It is the same with our mechanic and electronic guys. They speak different languages and live in seperate worlds. And they are making jokes about the others all the time.
                        But at the end of the day they respect each other and have a really good cooperation.

Comment

Working...
                        X