Please clarify what happens in this situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please clarify what happens in this situation

We had a situation in a match last night where a player potted the yellow, and the cue ball went acroiss the table and cannoned into and potted the green as well. The referee called a foul, rightly so, and put the yellow and green back on their spots, but then he picked up the white by mistake.

What happens in this situation? Is it:

a) The referee should place the white back in the same position it was in before he picked it up (or as near as he can by memory)

or

b) The player who's visit it now is gets the white in hand and can place it anywhere in the D?

My guess is this would be treated in the same way as when you ask the ref to clean the cue ball, i.e. the ball should be replaced (option a).
    Cheers
    Steve

Correct.

The cue-ball should be replaced in the original position.

Tim
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for that
      Cheers
      Steve

Comment

And the ref should be sacked
        sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Too right. What makes it worse is that he's a grade 2 or 3 qualified ref!!

I'm competitions secretary for the league and he's been stripped of the honour of reffing the League Singles Final now
          Cheers
          Steve

Comment

Originally Posted by Welshsteve View Post
            Too right. What makes it worse is that he's a grade 2 or 3 qualified ref!!

I'm competitions secretary for the league and he's been stripped of the honour of reffing the League Singles Final now
            If he made the mistake and simply corrected it, in the proper manner, I think that is a bit harsh.

However, if he wasn't sure what he should do once he had picked up the white (which I assume may be the case, since you posted this thread?) then maybe less harsh!

Comment

He didn't have a clue what to do, and it wasn't the first mistake either. He made a few mistakes with the scoring as well.
              Cheers
              Steve

Comment

He didn't have a clue what to do, and it wasn't the first mistake either. He made a few mistakes with the scoring as well.
                was he pi55ed?

i make ref errors all the time when im drunk

im only allowed to ref the firs match now
                Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by steedee View Post
                  was he pi55ed?

i make ref errors all the time when im drunk

im only allowed to ref the firs match now
                  LOL no he's just a bit old now and not in the best of health we don't think. But he insists he's ok and refuses to go to the docs/hospital, even his son can't persuade him to go.
                  Cheers
                  Steve

Comment

That's a different matter then. Your comment that he has been scrapped from the Singles Final suggested that that was solely because of the cue-ball mistake.

Comment

Working...
                    X