Rules question:Ball falls in after long delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules question:Ball falls in after long delay

Apologies if this has been asked before. I was playing a match recently and the black got knocked right into the jaws of the pocket and was millimetres from dropping. Several shots after my playing partner enquired what would the rule be if it dropped without anyone playing a shot onto it. If the black had dropped while someone had addressed the cue ball would it be a foul against that person? Or after a certain period of time would it just be re-spotted with no penalty?

I may be wrong but didnt this happen in a professional match sometime ago but I cant remember what the outcome was.

Im fairly confident im right in saying that if it is a red it is simply replaced in its original position (ie over the pocket) but if its a colour it is replaced on its spot with no penalty. Provided of course it isnt helped in and gravity takes over.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I believe it is replaced in its original postition regardless of what ball it is. I think the Referee should replace the ball over the pocket and lpay would then continue.

15. Ball Moved by Other than Striker
      If a ball, stationary or moving, is disturbed other than by the striker, it shall be re-positioned by the referee to the place he judges the ball was, or would have finished, without penalty.
      (a) This Rule shall include cases where another occurrence or person, other than the striker’s partner, causes the striker to move a ball.
      (b) No player shall be penalised for any disturbance of balls by the referee.
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

You may well be right RGC mate but I thought the rule was different for red and colour. Ill ask my referee buddy in the morning
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

Comment

Just had official clarification

It IS replaced. RGC is correct. I am wrong

Comment

As usual

Time to learn the rules Roy... You've been playing longer than me!
            sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
              As usual

Time to learn the rules Roy... You've been playing longer than me!
              Careful now young man respect your elders ill get you on one soon!

Comment

As already stated the ball is replaced back intothe jaws of the pocket.

Another example for you. There is only the balck ball left on the table and it is hanging over the corner bag. The white is played towards it and the black drops in with no contact between cue ball and object ball. The white then drops into the pocket.

Both balls are removed from the pcket and placed back on the table in the positions they were before the shot occured and no foul is given.

It is the referees discretion as to how long to leave it before the players visit has finished.
                Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

Here is another one for you

Black on the edge. You go for a pot, trying just to hit it. Dead weight. Black drops before cueball reaches it. Cueball stops where the Black was before. Where to place Black now?

Comment

Originally Posted by glove147 View Post
                    Here is another one for you

Black on the edge. You go for a pot, trying just to hit it. Dead weight. Black drops before cueball reaches it. Cueball stops where the Black was before. Where to place Black now?
                    Same as the previous post.

The black and white would both be placed where they were before the shot, and the shot will be re-played by the same player.

Comment

hey this brings one question to my mind. what if it's the cue ball? if let's say,
                      a player hits the cue ball, and it ends up just on the edge without dropping.

Scenario 1

when it's my turn to play, just as i am going down to play it, the cue ball drops. is this a foul, and whose foul is it? mine or the other player?

Scenario 2

just as i am walking towards the cue ball, before i reach it, it drops. whose foul is it? or is there any foul in the 1st place?
                      Stephen Hendry, the Golden Boy

Comment

Same answer to both scenarios. It is not a foul and the cue ball is placed back on the table in the jaws of the pocket as close to it's original position as poss.
                        Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

Working...
                        X