Foul Shot or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul Shot or not?

A foul has been commited and you have the cue ball in hand. You place the cue ball in the D and behind the baulk line and position the cue ball using your cue. in the process you use the tip of your cue to move it into position before geting down to strike the ball.

Foul or Not?

Give reasons for your voting?
    Yes, foul stroke.
    28.57%
    No foul.
    71.43%
    Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Not unless the referee believes the cue tip touched the white while you were attempting a stroke

5. Playing from In-hand
    (b) If the tip of the cue should touch the cue-ball while positioning it, and the referee is satisfied that the striker was not attempting to play a stroke, then the cue-ball is not in play.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

that used to be a foul until they changed the rules

Comment

No its not a foul.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

No foul.

As RGCirencester quotes below:

5. Playing from In-hand
          (b) If the tip of the cue should touch the cue-ball while positioning it, and the referee is satisfied that the striker was not attempting to play a stroke, then the cue-ball is not in play.
          You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

no, it's not a foul i believe
            Stephen Hendry, the Golden Boy

Comment

All of the above are correct. The reason I ask is becasue I took my grade 3 Referees exam yesterday with Dave Fisher, I passed but was quite shocked to hear that this was not a foul. In my local league i had been awarded four points by another person doing this very thing in the 08/09 season and in 07/08 i'd had four away for doing it myself.

I was just intrigued as to how many folks thought it counted as a stroke.
              Live for the day you're in, tomorrow is just something that may happen

Comment

Originally Posted by goshow View Post
                All of the above are correct. The reason I ask is becasue I took my grade 3 Referees exam yesterday with Dave Fisher, I passed but was quite shocked to hear that this was not a foul. In my local league i had been awarded four points by another person doing this very thing in the 08/09 season and in 07/08 i'd had four away for doing it myself.

I was just intrigued as to how many folks thought it counted as a stroke.
                I thought it was a foul....

Untill i read these posts!
                Fantasy Game Overall Winner 09/10 - World Championship 2009 Fantasy Game Winner - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Overall Winner 09/10 - Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up 08/09 - UK Championship 2010 Prediction Contest Winner - Rileys @ Chorlton Pool Team Merit Winner 07/08, 09/10:snooker:

Comment

Yes, we must here appreciate the distinction between using the cue to position the ball, in which case it's not a foul if the tip should make contact with the ball; and getting down to play a stroke where, if you 'feather' the white with the tip as part of the preparation of the stroke, that IS a foul just as it would be at any other part of the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                    that used to be a foul until they changed the rules
                    I thought it still was, but appearently it has changed.
                    ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                    "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Watch Steve Davis hit the cue ball in error whilst feathering in the 1st round WSC 1982 against Tony Knowles.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbxbyoc4C4A

Comment

Originally Posted by JamesFoster View Post
                        Watch Steve Davis hit the cue ball in error whilst feathering in the 1st round WSC 1982 against Tony Knowles.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbxbyoc4C4A
                        Yes it seems his confidence and concentration was shot to pieces in THAT match.
                        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

i thought it was a foul...
                          thx for bringing up this question and clarifying the rules~

Comment

Originally Posted by karkit1028 View Post
                            i thought it was a foul...
                            thx for bringing up this question and clarifying the rules~
                            is there a place online to download the full up to date rule book
                            So it's Rorschach and Prozac and everything is groovy
                            World Masters - Lucky Dip 2011 winner
                            World Championship-Lucky Dip 2011 winner
                            Snooker island July 2011 - Australian Open prediction comp winner
                            http://www.leaguesnooker.co.uk/

Comment

You could just look on the world snooker website http://www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm
                              sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
                              X