Putting your opponent off his game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Putting your opponent off his game: Keep him in his chair. =o)

Noel
    I don't play competive snooker but I have recently been dragged into playing for my local pub UK 8ball pool team and that seems like good advice to me Noel ...

to put it another way, if I hit all the stupid little ****ing balls in the holes before he does, I win

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
      I dont apologise for flukes but not for mind-game reasons simply because im not sorry. If I fluke a pot ill hold my hand up but if I get a lucky snooker I wont apologise. I say if it gives you an advantage do whatever you feel necessary.
      If I'm playing in a league match (and this is the only time that I use this to my advantage), I do the exact opposite of what RocketRoy suggests. In fact, I truly am not sorry if I get a fluke (who is?), but I always take the time to remind my opponent that he's had a bit of bad luck ... including when I don't leave anything, if I get a lucky kiss on one of my own breaks, fortunate snookers etc etc.
      There are so many self-pitiers that play the game, it's very easy to make them feel sorry for themselves- and- If a player is bemoaning his bad luck- then he can't play as well.
      This works better I think than angering an opponent by 'doing a Davis' and not apologising.

Comment

It all depends how strong minded your opponent is. If my opponent kept telling me how bad my luck was it wouldnt affect my game as id know his intentions and try to use it to my advantage.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
          It all depends how strong minded your opponent is. If my opponent kept telling me how bad my luck was it wouldnt affect my game as id know his intentions and try to use it to my advantage.
          Then there must be a lot of weak minded players in my league lol.
          Mind you .. I'm pretty subtle about it ... everybody thinks I'm just being the perfect gent - not a devious little sod

Comment

A bloke in our league has a really sexy missus, not beautiful in a hollywood sort of way, but dead sexy with great legs, and every time he plays she sits in the front seat at the top end of the table and does that Sharon Stone thing.
            Damned if I can beat him.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
              A bloke in our league has a really sexy missus, not beautiful in a hollywood sort of way, but dead sexy with great legs, and every time he plays she sits in the front seat at the top end of the table and does that Sharon Stone thing.
              Damned if I can beat him.
              Now that's just not cricket
              I'll have to get my missus to wear her short denim skirt when I'm playing against somebody ...

Comment

Just pull him to the side and say "Your other halfs skirt is a bit short and she is flashing her minge mate", just wait for his face to turn red then say
                "I never noticed myself it was one of my mates, just thought i better tell you buddy".
                A good thing to do is to tell your mates what your going to do and when you tell him it was your mates that noticed wave to them and get them all to wave back they should get a kick out of it too

Comment

A favourite of mine is if you leave your opponent in towards the end of a frame and they are in a good position to win is to put the cue down to one side and start to storm off saying that you are going to the bar or toilet. Or, if its the last frame of the match, start to pack your cue away as if you're certain they will clear the table. Its amazing how many times they miss when this psychological pressure is put on them. Evil but effective.

By the way I only do this to my mates who use far worse ploys to put me off

Comment

Originally Posted by saddler79 View Post
                    A favourite of mine is if you leave your opponent in towards the end of a frame and they are in a good position to win is to put the cue down to one side and start to storm off saying that you are going to the bar or toilet. Or, if its the last frame of the match, start to pack your cue away as if you're certain they will clear the table. Its amazing how many times they miss when this psychological pressure is put on them. Evil but effective.

I was gonna say!! I hate you!!

The unscrewing of a cue is a sign of a concession or forthcoming concession you know.
                    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
                    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I have to agree one hundred percent with RocketRoy on this one ... as soon as you start to unscrew your cue against me, I'll just say 'thanks for the game' to accept the concession, and unscrew mine. It's something that eight ball players do, and we all know how insecure they are ... still, if your mates employ worse tactics against you, then fair play to you

Comment

I suspected this may be an official concession (is this purely in terms of ettiquette or rules?) but what they dont know wont hurt them .

However, what i have to put up with is far less subtle: a 'rogue cough or sneeze' while you are cueing or having my opponent stand right in front of the line of my shot on the other side of the table and shamlessly rocking the cue from side to side pretending they are chalking their cue. The flavour of the month seems to be the 'squeaky chalking' of the cue strangely which also seems to occur just as you are playing a shot.

Just for the record, believe it or not we are actually older than 2 years old and play regular matches for a team in a local league. Its just nice to take snooker less seriously at times and relax with a few beers

Comment

Originally Posted by burwatchampion View Post
                          Just pull him to the side and say "Your other halfs skirt is a bit short and she is flashing her minge mate", just wait for his face to turn red then say
                          "I never noticed myself it was one of my mates, just thought i better tell you buddy".
                          A good thing to do is to tell your mates what your going to do and when you tell him it was your mates that noticed wave to them and get them all to wave back they should get a kick out of it too
                          No, no, no, no ,no ,no, no,
                          no minge on view, she does wear underwear, I've had a real good look many times, and why spoil a good thing. Sex is better than snooker, even if you're only looking.

Comment

The flavour of the month seems to be the 'squeaky chalking' of the cue strangely which also seems to occur just as you are playing a shot.
                            Where can you buy this squeaky chalk ?

Comment

Its all in the chalking action. Its a fine art but when you master it, it doesnt half make your ears ring!!

Comment

Firstly, I stand by my original suggestion that keeping your opponent in his chair is the best way to put him off his game.

Secondly, just as having to stand in a qeue to pee after 4 pints is an opportunity to practice "patience"... blanking out the sounds of chalking or an eyeful of minge is a chance to perfect zen-like "mushin" for your shot on.

Thirdly, hire this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeckPzbUW-w&NR=1

=o)

Noel
                                Last edited by noel; 17 July 2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X