X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O'min cues (and maple cues)

Hello TSF,

I guess this is my first post on this forum

I am currently unhappy with my somewhat poor Riley cue. I can't stand the finish which causes me to play with a glove...
    I recently played a bit with my pool cue with a Predator Z^2 shaft and found that I enjoyed the plain maple shaft more than the ash shaft of my snooker cue. The grains in the ash seem to confuse me a bit.
    So anyways, I decided I wanted a snooker cue with a maple shaft to see if that is better. Apparently it is not that common, and since I want a good cue with a nice finish I thought of having a cue made.
    So I have contacted O'min through the site http://originalomin.com/ and I got an offer for a cue with maple shaft for 220 USD.

So my questions are:

It seems originalomin is a retailer selling O'min cues and it is not directly O'min. Is there any other way to order an O'min cue?

Are there any other cue brands or makers I should consider for a maple cue, keeping it in mind it should be pretty cheap since it is just an experiment?
    By the way I am located in Denmark.

Sorry for the long read.

Thanks in advance,
    Your pal LordJesus

Originally Posted by LordJesus View Post
    Hello TSF,

I am currently unhappy with my somewhat poor Riley cue. I can't stand the finish which causes me to play with a glove...
    I recently played a bit with my pool cue with a Predator Z^2 shaft and found that I enjoyed the plain maple shaft more than the ash shaft of my snooker cue. The grains in the ash seem to confuse me a bit.
    So anyways, I decided I wanted a snooker cue with a maple shaft to see if that is better. Apparently it is not that common, and since I want a good cue with a nice finish I thought of having a cue made.
    So I have contacted O'min through the site http://originalomin.com/ and I got an offer for a cue with maple shaft for 220 USD.

So my questions are:

It seems originalomin is a retailer selling O'min cues and it is not directly O'min. Is there any other way to order an O'min cue?

Are there any other cue brands or makers I should consider for a maple cue, keeping it in mind it should be pretty cheap since it is just an experiment?

Sorry for the long read.

Thanks in advance,
    Your pal LordJesus
    hi,

im not sure a maple pool shaft will feel the same as snooker.

what is so confusing to you about the ash that makes you want to change?

there are plenty cue makers who will make you a good cue in ash of maple.

omin are good but there are alternatives in the UK. try welshpooltrading or craftsman. they are pretty cheap. greenbaize is another option.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not looking for the same feel as with my pool cue par se. I'm not entirely sure why it is confusing with ash grains, but I guess I feel like there's a whole lot going on in front of me, when the pattern of the grain slides back and forth. With my pool cue it was just the same texture sliding back and forth, nothing 'moving'.
      I just want to have a maple snooker cue so that I can try it and compare it with the ash cue. Therefore I'm not looking for an expensive cue. And as I am in Denmark, where there are virtually no snooker cue stores, I can't try out a cue with maple shaft. Only option is to order from somewhere.
      I'll look into your suggestions.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not looking for the same feel as with my pool cue par se. I'm not entirely sure why it is confusing with ash grains, but I guess I feel like there's a whole lot going on in front of me, when the pattern of the grain slides back and forth. With my pool cue it was just the same texture sliding back and forth, nothing 'moving'.
        I just want to have a maple snooker cue so that I can try it and compare it with the ash cue. Therefore I'm not looking for an expensive cue. And as I am in Denmark, where there are virtually no snooker cue stores, I can't try out a cue with maple shaft. Only option is to order from somewhere.
        I'll look into your suggestions.
        yes i understand where you are coming from and £100+ gbp is quite alot for an "experiment". i was able to switch from ash to maple and am playing my best snooker with a maple cue. but just to give you an idea on others, a friend of mine has spent more than triple of what you will be spending on a maple and just cant get on with it and hates it. now hes going back to ash. its wise to stick with what you know but if there really is too much going on for you, then perhaps changing is the best way you can go.

simple reason i changed was that i was just so fussy with my grain that i hated grains altogether lol

Comment

Hello TSF,

So my questions are:

Sorry for the long read.

Thanks in advance,
          Your pal LordJesus
          The site you visited and got the quote is their agent in Malaysia, I think. Try this http://omincues.com/contact_eng.php It's Omin's factory, and his sister is handling the email correspondences. Perhaps buying from a store in UK might save you on the delivery cost. I have friends who own Omin's Maple and the wood quality is very good. PM me is you need advices, but I can't help on ordering it for you. His sister can help you a lot in choosing the cue
          It's in the Shaft

Comment

Working...
          X