Foul or not? Player assisting a referee after a miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul or not? Player assisting a referee after a miss

Parrott just moved the white ball with his hand when trying to replace the balls. Isn't that a foul?
    TSF World Champion 2010
    TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
    BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
    Parrott just moved the white ball with his hand when trying to replace the balls. Isn't that a foul?
    Yes it is a foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
      parrot is known to break the rules just ask steve davis
      Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
        Yes it is a foul.
        No it isn't a foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
          No it isn't a foul.

oh yes it is
          Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Really? Well I never!!!

Comment

No it isn't a foul.
              Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
              oh yes it is
              Really? Well I never!!!
              I think it is a foul as the referee is the only person who should move the balls and not the player. In amateur snooker this would happen quite a lot if a miss was being called but in professional snooker you should leave it to the referee.

Section 3 Rule 15
              15. Ball Moved by Other than Striker
              If a ball, stationary or moving, is disturbed other than by the striker, it shall be re-positioned by the referee to the place he judges the ball was, or would have finished, without penalty.
              (a) This Rule shall include cases where another occurrence or person, other than the striker's partner, causes the striker to move a ball.
              (b) No player shall be penalised for any disturbance of balls by the referee.

Comment

I think it is a foul as the referee is the only person who should move the balls and not the player. In amateur snooker this would happen quite a lot if a miss was being called but in professional snooker you should leave it to the referee.
                It was certainly a foul when I did it once in an international match. I had a brain storm and assisted the ref, who was grateful but my opponent started jumping up and down and saying foul, foul, foul... yeah and I loved her too!!!
                Janie Watkins
                On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
                All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

I seem to remember O'Sullivan doing it too during the Regal Scottish back a while. Seems a tad harsh really.
                  TSF World Champion 2010
                  TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                  BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

It's not a foul.

Where is Dawref when you need him?

Comment

It's not a foul.

Where is Dawref when you need him?
                      Rob to the rescue... hoping world snooker website isnt wrong about the rules lol!

As i understand it the balls were being replaced after a miss and he touched the white to move it? (didn't see the actual incident) In which case this section would be in effect.

14. Foul and a Miss
                      (g) When any ball is being replaced after a miss, both the offender and the next player will be consulted as to its position, after which the referee’s decision shall be final.
                      (h) During such consultation, if either player should touch any ball in play, he shall be penalised as if he were the striker, without affecting the order of play. The ball touched shall be replaced by the referee, to his satisfaction, if necessary, even if it was picked up.
                      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                        (h) During such consultation, if either player should touch any ball in play, he shall be penalised as if he were the striker, without affecting the order of play. The ball touched shall be replaced by the referee, to his satisfaction, if necessary, even if it was picked up.
                        That's the rule I was looking for.

And thanks for the video link Alex, it was just a matter of time before a video emerged on Youtube.

Comment

So, it's not a foul then!

Comment

So, it's not a foul then!
                            It IS a foul. John Parrott toched a ball when helping to replace it after a miss and the rule says if any player touches a ball during the consultation then he shall be penalised, so it's a foul.

Comment

It IS a foul. John Parrott toched a ball when helping to replace it after a miss and the rule says if any player touches a ball during the consultation then he shall be penalised, so it's a foul.
                              You sound VERY sure bongo but it doesn't say that it is a foul and that's my point.

Dawref where are you? Need an expert here.

Comment

Working...
                              X