quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick question

when i was playing a few months ago in a knockabout at the club, the other player hit his shot, the white jumped onto the cushion off the angle of the pocket and rolled half way down the cushion staying there...

what do you do in that situation???

(I obviously claimed the 7 points from a foul on the black and put the white in the D)

Staying on the cushion and just sat there? Did it come back on the table?
    www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

stayed actually on the cushion not touching the frame of the table just sort of balanced on the top of the actual cloth on the cushion!!!!

Comment

It's a foul and the cue ball is in-hand. Here is what the rule book says:

14. Forced Off the Table
        A ball is forced off the table if it comes to rest other than on the bed of the table or in a pocket, or if it is picked up by the striker, whilst it is in play except as provided for in Section 3 Rule 14(h).

9. In-hand
        (a) The cue-ball is in-hand
        (i) before the start of each frame,
        (ii) when it has entered a pocket, or
        (iii) when it has been forced off the table.
        (b) It remains in-hand until
        (i) it is played fairly from in-hand, or
        (ii) a foul is committed whilst the ball is on the table
        (c) The striker is said to be in-hand when the cue-ball is in-hand as above.

So you made the right decision

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
          when i was playing a few months ago in a knockabout at the club, the other player hit his shot, the white jumped onto the cushion off the angle of the pocket and rolled half way down the cushion staying there...

what do you do in that situation???

(I obviously claimed the 7 points from a foul on the black and put the white in the D)
          Very rare occurence that the cue ball stayed there. Usually in such a case the ball rolls toward the pocket.
          My deep screw shot
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

I should think you made the right decision as it went of the bed of the table

Comment

Kyra has it right - the ball was 'forced off the table' because it didn't come to rest on the bed of the table or in a pocket, so it is a foul (seven points in this case), and is played from in hand by the next player.

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                stayed actually on the cushion not touching the frame of the table just sort of balanced on the top of the actual cloth on the cushion!!!!
                Play it as it lays!

Wait... that's golf!?!?

[ Have any of you seen Cliff Thorburn's shot with the cue ball sitting on top of the baulk end rail?
                He shoots the cueball off the rail to pot the black ball, placed dead centre, tight against the top cushion.
                The difficult part is that his left hand bridge is not on the table at all... it's in mid-air.

He pots it. ]

=o)

Noel

Comment

Working...
                X