Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foul or not

during our league match this week the brown went over the yellow pocket
    and stayed there,after playing about 6 more shots each as i got down to the table(but not addressing the white yet)the brown fell in.what happens our team thought that it was outside interferance and the brown be replaced with no penalty,but there team demanded a foul even tho i was not addressing the white but i was just getting down to take my shot.
    please could someone put us in the clear on this.

incidentally i went on to win the frame so it doesnt matter,but it did raise a few issues for a few of us. thanks

the brown is replaced and you would have carried on with your shot no foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
      the brown is replaced and you would have carried on with your shot no foul.
      right
      if you haven't touched it
      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

only classed as a foul if it is a not unreasonable time from last player taking thier shot - foul, points to you Or if it was ball they were going for, carry on with break

if it was a prolonged period of time then ball is replaced

unless you have addressed the table then it counts as a foul - (even if you addressed the white got up then went down again the first address counts)

Comment

i was in amongst the reds on the opposite side of the table when the brown fell in the yellow pocket,this was after it had been there for about 3-4 minutes.during which time we had both had about 6 to 7 shots while the brown was there.

Comment

Originally Posted by wizball64 View Post
            i was in amongst the reds on the opposite side of the table when the brown fell in the yellow pocket,this was after it had been there for about 3-4 minutes.during which time we had both had about 6 to 7 shots while the brown was there.
            then so long as you had not addressed the table /touched the table with your hand then its no foul and re spot and carry on

Comment

Originally Posted by wizball64 View Post
              Then it's no foul.

As soon as the brown was deemed to have stopped in the shot when it landed there, then if it drops of its own accord – be it 10 seconds or 10 minutes later – then it is simply replaced at no penalty to either player.

Even if you had played your shot and the balls were moving when it dropped, it's still no foul.

If the balls in a shot in progress would have hit the brown, then the whole shot would have been replaced and the same player would have replayed the shot, again at no penalty (unless, of course, some other unconnected foul had also occurred).

Comment

The Statman is, as ever, quite correct.

This is known as ball on edge of pocket.
                If a ball is on the edge of a pocket and, without being part of any shot in progress, falls into the pocket, it shall be replaced without penalty and the person at the table shall continue his break.
                If, however, the ball would have been involved in a shot in progress had it not fallen, then all balls shall be replaced and the striker shall replay the shot.

I seem to remember when I took my Class 1 exam, a version of this question causing an arguement between the 3 examiners I faced. The result was that even if a foul is committed during the shot in progress that all balls will be replaced and the striker shall play the stroke again.

I disagreed with the last part to my examiners and said that I would consider that in the interest of fair play that there had been a foul committed and that the ball on edge of pocket should be replaced. A foul would be called and the opponent becomes the striker.
                The examiners could not agree with each other, so I said I would call it under Rule 5 -Situation not adequately covered by rule.

I have not found anything concrete either way. To my knowledge, neither have the examiners.
                Some days I'm the statue.
                Some days I'm the pigeon.
                Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

thanks for all your responses at least this
                  paints a clearer picture for me,thanks again

Comment

Working...
                  X