Newbie question but need to know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie question but need to know!

What happens when the ball is touching a colour for the other player? it cant be an instant foul can it?

No, but you must play away from it.

Comment

What happens when the ball is touching a colour for the other player? it cant be an instant foul can it?
      I'm not sure I understand your question, but I will answer as best I can.

If the cue ball ends up touching a ball NOT ON, then the player must play away and still hit a ball that is or could be ON.
      If the cue ball ends up touching a ball that is ON, then the player MUST play away or else it is a push stroke. He can still go for a ball that is ON.
      If after potting a red, the cue ball ends up touching the yellow, for example, the referee will, and should, state 'Touching Ball' and ask the player to nominate his colour. The player can nominate the yellow and just play away or nominate another colour of hois choice. If the latter, as long as the yellow does not move whilst playing the stroke and the player hits his nominated ball, it will not be a foul.
      Hope this helps.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

I'm not too sure I fully understand your question but I'll try and help.

If you are meaning you pot a red and then it touches the black it is a touching ball you either can try and pot the black (I don't think many people would even try), or play safe and hopefully snooker your opponent.
        Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerfan91 View Post
          I'm not too sure I fully understand your question but I'll try and help.

If you are meaning you pot a red and then it touches the black it is a touching ball you either can try and pot the black (I don't think many people would even try), or play safe and hopefully snooker your opponent.
          If it is touching ball on the black you can.t try and pot it because it would be a push shot. You can try and pot a different colour or simply call black and play away safe.
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

But if the black is pottable I'm sure you could go for it if you called the black.
            Dark side of the moon

Comment

Not unless you played off a cusion then hit the black. If you play directly towards a touching ball it is a push shot and a foul

Comment

Learn something new everday, cheers pal! !
                Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                  Not unless you played off a cusion then hit the black. If you play directly towards a touching ball it is a push shot and a foul
                  and hit a differnt ball first.....

and the other scenario...

say its on the black again and its down to the yellow, you have to hit the yellow, it would still only be a 4 point foul if you didnt hit it and missed everything else on the table...

Comment

Yes but say you were touching the black, and it was right over the pocket, you cannot play directly towards it or it would be a foul, but you can play off the opposite side cusion to pot the black. It wouldn't matter if you missed it because you would be deemed to have hit it as soon as you struck the ball but as long as the black did not move when you played your sot it would be legal to pot it that way.

Comment

Originally Posted by RGCirencester View Post
                      Yes but say you were touching the black, and it was right over the pocket, you cannot play directly towards it or it would be a foul, but you can play off the opposite side cusion to pot the black. It wouldn't matter if you missed it because you would be deemed to have hit it as soon as you struck the ball but as long as the black did not move when you played your sot it would be legal to pot it that way.
                      RG, i was on about when just the colours left on tabkle

Comment

I get ya now I thoguht you meant "on the black" as in colour after the red

Comment

Lol... i cant believe this is still going on, ya gonna confuse the boy (the op)

He only asked a simple question for gawd sake...

The Op only wanted to know ..ie..if he plays a shot say to a red and misses the pot and left the white touching a colour is it an automatic foul when the next player takes a shot...

Checkside seems the only 1 to get what he meant, and as checkside said, NO, but you must play away from the ball...

Just to clear it up for the op coz he's gonna be confused as.... when he comes back to this....

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                            Lol... i cant believe this is still going on, ya gonna confuse the boy (the op)

He only asked a simple question for gawd sake...

The Op only wanted to know ..ie..if he plays a shot say to a red and misses the pot and left the white touching a colour is it an automatic foul when the next player takes a shot...

Checkside seems the only 1 to get what he meant, and as checkside said, NO, but you must play away from the ball...

Just to clear it up for the op coz he's gonna be confused as.... when he comes back to this....
                            you know what us lot are like though, we need to go ijn depth on to things and sort out every possible situation on a shot ;o)

some say we could be cliff thorburn in net guises!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by cally View Post
                              Agreed...Checkside was right about the basic rules here. But the original question from TobyMc seems a little "uncomplete" situation to me though...quite confusing eyh?
                              My cueing sucks

Comment

Working...
                              X