No announcement yet.

Newbie question but need to know!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While this is asking about ''newbie'' questions may I ask one while in the thread ;
    When is it that you can make a player ''retake'' out of a snooker? Just sometimes I've seen it now used... why?
    Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerfan91 View Post
      While this is asking about ''newbie'' questions may I ask one while in the thread ;
      When is it that you can make a player ''retake'' out of a snooker? Just sometimes I've seen it now used... why?
      I don't really understand what do you mean by ''retake'' out of a snooker but maybe this one will answer you. Is it REPLACE THE CUE BALL situation?

Just to give you a simple example here:-

Say that only colours (yellow until black) left on the table. After potting the last red, your opponent purposely leaving the cue ball perfectly behind the black so that you are snookered (Sometime I did this to make my mate a little headache....)

Then it is your turn and you must hit the yellow first, no matter what it takes. If you miss the yellow, and if your opponent still not satisfed where the cue ball left by you, he can ask you to RE-PLACE the cue ball until it hit the yellow at first place, or until he satisfied where the cue ball left by you even if you missed the yellow.

When your opponent said RE-PLACE the cue ball, all the balls (cue ball+colours) on the table has to be put to where they were exactly as the same spots before you take the shot.

Hope this one is a good explaination for you. Merry Christmas...!!!
      Last edited by brendan147; 24 December 2009, 08:37 AM.
      My cueing sucks

Comment

Yeah that's what I meant, keep replacing the white ball and forcing your opponent to keep re-taking his shot over and over again, thank you.
        Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by brendan147 View Post
          I don't really understand what do you mean by ''retake'' out of a snooker but maybe this one will answer you. Is it REPLACE THE CUE BALL situation?

Just to give you a simple example here:-

Say that only colours (yellow until black) left on the table. After potting the last red, your opponent purposely leaving the cue ball perfectly behind the black so that you are snookered (Sometime I did this to make my mate a little headache....)

Then it is your turn and you must hit the yellow first, no matter what it takes. If you miss the yellow, and if your opponent still not satisfed where the cue ball left by you, he can ask you to RE-PLACE the cue ball until it hit the yellow at first place, or until he satisfied where the cue ball left by you even if you missed the yellow.

When your opponent said RE-PLACE the cue ball, all the balls (cue ball+colours) on the table has to be put to where they were exactly as the same spots before you take the shot.

Hope this one is a good explaination for you. Merry Christmas...!!!

Brendan, I do not like to hijack posts but since you are on this, i have a few questions:

1) how many times can we request our opponents to "retake" the shot?

2) in what scenarios can a freeball be called and a retake be called?

cheers

merry xmas

Comment

1) how many times can we request our opponents to "retake" the shot?
            A 'Foul and a Miss' and, therefore, a 'retake' can be called as many times as the referee deems necessary until the point that snookers are required.

in what scenarios can a freeball be called and a retake be called?
            If, after a foul, the player is snookered on ALL balls that are or could be on, then the referee will call 'free ball'.
            It may be that in trying to hit the ball on, the player misses and leaves his oponent snookered. In this case the referee will call 'foul and a miss, free ball'. It will then be up to the player to either:
            (i) take the free ball;
            (ii) let his opponent play the next stroke from where the balls are (it may be a more difficult position than before);
            (iii) have the balls replaced and the player play the stroke again; or
            (iv) play for a ball on himself (unlikely).
            You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

thanks for the clarification.

cheerio

Comment

Aye same thanks for helping me.
                Dark side of the moon

Comment

Working...
                X