Do Snooker Players Retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Snooker Players Retire?

There have been numerous threads about players like O'Sullivan and Higgins and how much they can win before 'hanging up the cue,' but I am curious if snooker players ever retire officially.

As for other sports, for example cricket, there is usually a press conference or a media release stating that the player will retire. But for snooker, I just get the feeling that players just wait until they slide down the rankings and eventually fade into the background.

Some do completely retire although most carry on playing for a while in the amateur ranks or at some lower level.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Or just play for fun
      Many snooker players retire from professional snooker but still work in snooker-becaming commentators,coaches, etc
      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
        Or just play for fun
        Many snooker players retire from professional snooker but still work in snooker-becaming commentators,coaches, etc
        That's pretty much hit the nail on the head.
        Dark side of the moon

Comment

Originally Posted by gettingbetter View Post
          There have been numerous threads about players like O'Sullivan and Higgins and how much they can win before 'hanging up the cue,' but I am curious if snooker players ever retire officially.

As for other sports, for example cricket, there is usually a press conference or a media release stating that the player will retire. But for snooker, I just get the feeling that players just wait until they slide down the rankings and eventually fade into the background.
          I think the last players to officially retire from playing were the likes of dennis taylor, john virgo etc....I havent heard of anyone else having done so since their generation.

Many other big names from the 1980s onwards- thorburn, knowles etc seem to be continuing to play in non-proffessional tournaments...
          "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

I've noticed that retirement is not fashionable nowadays. The pros just play on the Tour until they drop out and some even try and re-qualify (quite a few succeed too) even in their 40's. The only retirements recently have been because of medical reasons (Chris Small, Robin Hull) although some lower ranked newcomers decided it's not worth continuing as they were simply not good enough (Kevin Van Hove, Declan Hughes). But a good example for today's trend is David Roe who is dead certain to be relegated (in fact he didn't have much chance avoiding relegation even before the start of this season) he's obviously way past his best, yet he continues as long as he can. Who knows, he might even appear on PIOS next season.

Comment

I'm not sure if its anything to do with fashion, but people like Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Tony Drago, who some might think are not far away from retiring, just seem to love playing. I think they might well still be playing at some level, well into their old age. I think its mainly players who develop eyesight problems or some other physical problem that stop playing alltogether, as the frustration of not being able to perform as well as they could must outweight any pleasure.

Personally, I think someone very proud like Hendry who cannot bear to loose will be biggest name to officially retire from snooker since Dennis Taylor.I just cannot imagine him slogging it out in a Prestatyn Pontins Cubicle to one man and his dog.
              "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

More appropriate than ever are, I think, the famous words of the famous General Douglas MacArthur: "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
                Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
                Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
                  I'm not sure if its anything to do with fashion, but people like Steve Davis, Jimmy White and Tony Drago, who some might think are not far away from retiring, just seem to love playing. I think they might well still be playing at some level, well into their old age. I think its mainly players who develop eyesight problems or some other physical problem that stop playing alltogether, as the frustration of not being able to perform as well as they could must outweight any pleasure.

Personally, I think someone very proud like Hendry who cannot bear to loose will be biggest name to officially retire from snooker since Dennis Taylor.I just cannot imagine him slogging it out in a Prestatyn Pontins Cubicle to one man and his dog.
                  I didn't mean fashionable literally of course. What I meant that it's not the trend these days. The case of Davis, White and Drago shows how much experience (and of course talent) matters and it's probably one of the reasons why young players find it hard even to stay on Tour.
                  Yes, Hendry might be the most likely to retire if he drops out of the top 16, but you never know..

Comment

As you get older you do tend to wanna settle down with a quiet life and stuff but the vast majority who haven't hit the bottom ground and ruined there career still practice alot and enter regular competitions.
                    Dark side of the moon

Comment

I think and hope that Hendry will at least give it a season at Pontin's, would be disappointed if he did not even try. Couldn't see him sticking it out for as long as someone like White though.
                      sigpic
                      http://prosnookerblog.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by Mignon View Post
                        More appropriate than ever are, I think, the famous words of the famous General Douglas MacArthur: "Old soldiers never die; they just fade away."
                        "Old billiards players never die - they just get snookered" is written on Steve's mug

Can't make a better screenshot, sorry.
                        Winner of crucible77's 2008 World Championship Fantasy Snooker Game
                        2008-09 Fantasy Snooker Seasonlong Champion

Comment

Working...
                        X