Jump Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jump Shot

I remember seeing this shot in last years WSC and thought then that it was a foul. I have seen several examples of this type of shot, where a ball on is just slightly masked by another and the player strikes down on the cue ball and makes the cue ball leave the bed of the table just enough to jump over the edge of the snookering ball.

It's the shot where he escapes from a snooker to hit the red behind the black and jumps the edge of the pink while striking down to play the swerve shot.

Section 2/ 19 Jump Shot

A jump shot is made when the cue ball passes over any part of an object ball, whether touching it in the process or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXFUp8h1l5Y

wtf he hasnt jumped over pink
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

What time in vid?

EDIT: 2 min 4?
      sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I couldnt see a jump either - just a really really good swerve ????

Comment

The pink wasn't really in the way the blue was, he didn't jump over the pink?
          sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

watching the slo-mo replay it is a close call - the very edge of the white may go over the edge of the pink (which is a foul) ... but I think I'd give him the benefit of the doubt ...

Comment

I remember this shot and on first viewing it doesn't look like a jump shot.

However, have a look at the attachment....
              Attached Files

Comment

Very difficult to decide, even with the slo mo replay. The referee, Alan Chamberlain I think, had to make the decision there and then, didn't call it, so in his eyes, it wasn't a jump shot.
                You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by dantuck_7 View Post
                  I remember this shot and on first viewing it doesn't look like a jump shot.

However, have a look at the attachment....
                  As you can see, the white is behind the pink as well as behind the blue. In order to play the swerve, the white obviously goes over the edge of the pink in order to miss the blue by as much as it did before coming back on line to go around the blue. The referee should know that in order to play a swerve shot, the white first pushes out before coming back on line or beyond the line. So in order for this to happen the white MUST jump over the edge of the pink.
                  This is what happens with the old trick shot of putting three balls in a line, touching each other, removing the centre ball and trying to play a ball through the space that's left. The only way to achieve this without moving the two balls is to raise the butt of the cue, strike down and therefore jump the edges of both balls.

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                    watching the slo-mo replay it is a close call - the very edge of the white may go over the edge of the pink (which is a foul) ... but I think I'd give him the benefit of the doubt ...
                    I wouldn't, it's a clear case of the referee knowing the rules, but not knowing the game.

Comment

It haven't jumped at all!
                      I mean it didnt get over any sides od the pink!
                      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
                        It haven't jumped at all!
                        I mean it didnt get over any sides od the pink!
                        I originally thought this as well, but if you run through the clip on youtube and pause it around 2:08 there is one point where the white is noticeable off the table. Repeatedly click on the play/pause button from 2:05 and you'll see it.

I think we're being too critical on Jan Verhass here, even with slow motion replays it isn't conclusive that the whit has jumped over part of the pink... it's entirely possible that the white is just in the air momentarily, due to the effect of playing down in order to get the swerve on.

I think it could be a legal shot!

Comment

I've seen this shot before; I think it is being harsh on the referee to criticise him when we've got the benefit of slow-motion replays and whatnot and all he has is the moment when it happens.

Besides, if the referee has the slightest doubt that the foul occurs, he should give the striker the benefit of the doubt.

It is so marginal that I think any referee can be forgiven for having such a doubt.

Comment

What the referee says goes anyways... don't it?
                            Bit similiar to referees on a football pitch?
                            Dark side of the moon

Comment

It's hard to judge.. looks more like a legal shot

Comment

Working...
                              X