Unsure of the rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure of the rules

Last night in a league match this happened....with 1 red left on the table the guy jawed a black and left it hanging in the corner pocket.After what was probably at least 20secs the opponent went to the table to play the last red , but before he even touched the table the black dropped into the corner pocket.

All of 6 of us having been playing league snooker for years but this has never happened to any of us , so we did not know what the ruling was . I believe that if he had touched the table it would have been a foul shot.

Can anyone advise what is the correct ruling ? Does the black get re-spotted or is it replaced in the jaws of the pocket?:snooker:
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

It's a foul by the lad that jawed the black.

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post
      Last night in a league match this happened....with 1 red left on the table the guy jawed a black and left it hanging in the corner pocket.After what was probably at least 20secs the opponent went to the table to play the last red , but before he even touched the table the black dropped into the corner pocket.

All of 6 of us having been playing league snooker for years but this has never happened to any of us , so we did not know what the ruling was . I believe that if he had touched the table it would have been a foul shot.

Can anyone advise what is the correct ruling ? Does the black get re-spotted or is it replaced in the jaws of the pocket?:snooker:
      The ball is considered to have dropped into the pocket without being part of any shot.

So it is simply replaced where it was, on the edge of the pocket. No foul against either player. Play carries on as normal.

Slightly different if the next player had played a shot and the black would have been involved in the shot but dropped beforehand - but no foul, still.

Comment

Originally Posted by mr p View Post
        it's a foul by the lad that jawed the black.
        thats wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          thats wrong
          That's right. It's wrong.

Rules change depending on where you are.
          If any ball moves without the striker striking it is replaced after the tremors stop... in Haiti for instance.

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
            The ball is considered to have dropped into the pocket without being part of any shot.

So it is simply replaced where it was, on the edge of the pocket. No foul against either player. Play carries on as normal.

Slightly different if the next player had played a shot and the black would have been involved in the shot but dropped beforehand - but no foul, still.
            I have a question as well.. Is there any time rule for a ball to be potted?

I mean, some balls drop in the pocket after one or two seconds of hanging over.. How many seconds should pass before it's called a miss and needs to be re-placed on where it was, just like the situation above?

If the player was on a break, the referee could call the break's end, and it would not count after the declaration.. But what if that happened on the first red?

I know that this situation is very unlikely to happen( for a ball to wait over the pocket for 10 seconds and then drop suddenly ), but I still wondered if there were any restrictions..
            All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
              I have a question as well.. Is there any time rule for a ball to be potted?

I mean, some balls drop in the pocket after one or two seconds of hanging over.. How many seconds should pass before it's called a miss and needs to be re-placed on where it was, just like the situation above?

If the player was on a break, the referee could call the break's end, and it would not count after the declaration.. But what if that happened on the first red?

I know that this situation is very unlikely to happen( for a ball to wait over the pocket for 10 seconds and then drop suddenly ), but I still wondered if there were any restrictions..
              3 or 5 seconds I think...
              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Thanks for the answer.. I think this is a must-rule, otherwise you would have to wait for hours to see if a jawed ball will eventually fall
                All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Thanks for the answer.. I think this is a must-rule, otherwise you would have to wait for hours to see if a jawed ball will eventually fall
                  LOL I just imagine the situtation when ball is hangling over the pocket and the play was delayed to see what will happen next

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
                    LOL I just imagine the situtation when ball is hangling over the pocket and the play was delayed to see what will happen next
                    Actually, if such wait was part of the game, it would become a slower one than chess

Imagine Ronnie making two centuries in a row, and then, the opposing player leaving the red over pocket and they start waiting
                    All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Actually, if such wait was part of the game, it would become a slower one than chess

Imagine Ronnie making two centuries in a row, and then, the opposing player leaving the red over pocket and they start waiting
                      Ebdon will keep on missing balls then

Comment

We have this in pool matches all the time. Had a mini-argument over whether your turn passes after either approaching the table or touching it. Touching makes sense imho.

Comment

There is no time limit in the rules. It is down to the referee to decide whether a pause was momentary enough that the ball essentially was on its last roll and hadn't quite come to a standstill when it eventually dropped, or if the ball had stopped and the subsequent fall was due to vibration or whatever after the shot was completed.

Comment

Working...
                          X