No announcement yet.

Red drops into pocket without a stroke?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red drops into pocket without a stroke?

Not sure if this has been answered before. While playing a frame today, my opponents shot on a red resulted with the ball resting on the lip of the pocket. As he rounded a table corner he nudged the table and the ball dropped. This is pretty clear in that I believe the point doesn't count and the next shot would be mine. However, if the ball remained over the pocket and I addressed the cue ball to take the shot on that red and before stroking the ball falls into the pocket....what would be the result? Would the ball be respotted in the original position or would it count and take a shot on another red?

If you have not made a stroke and the red falls in the pocket it is replaced where it fell from by the refferee and you continue.

9. Ball on Edge of Pocket
    (a) If a ball falls into a pocket without being hit by another ball, and being no part of any stroke in progress, it shall be replaced and any points scored shall count.
    (b) If it would have been hit by any ball involved in a stroke:
    (i) with no infringement of these Rules, all balls will be replaced and the same stroke played again, or a different stroke may be played at his discretion, by the same striker.
    (ii) if a foul is committed, the striker incurs the penalty prescribed, all balls will be replaced and the next player has the usual options after a foul.
    (c) If a ball balances momentarily on the edge of a pocket and then falls in, it shall count as in the pocket and not be replaced.
    If the stroke had been played, say you played at the red and then it fell in the pocket while the white was in motion, all balls would be replaced by the refferee and you would play the shot again.

I am not sure about the condition of the non striker knocking the table and causing the red to fall in though. If he is walking round then the red would be deemed to have stopped there more than momentarily, and so would be replaced as above. I am not sure though if him intentionally (or otherwise) kncoking the table would be a foul
    Last edited by RGCirencester; 22 January 2010, 02:01 AM.
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

Working...
    X