Best Cue Action

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Cue Action

I was wondering who you thought had the best cue action, on T V they are allways going on about ste lee, i am not sure cue action for me is how effortless everything looks and for me it has to be ronnie can get great power from little effort, all due to timing and action

The Rolls Royce of cue actions is Dave Harold.
    "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

Shaun Murphy

Comment

I was always a sucker for Jimmy White's cue action. Smooth as silk.

Comment

In his heyday, Steve Davis had the best action, especially on the delivery, followed by Stephen Hendry. These days, there are several who are quite good.
          :snooker:

Comment

Joe Swail

Comment

Stephen Lee.

Comment

John Spencer.
                Used a very light old billiard cue, held together with a nail in the butt, yet could deep screw long shots with the old crystalate balls. Anyone here remember those old heavy crystalate balls before they became super ?

Comment

Its hard to say who has the best cue action . I suppose it comes to to personal preference . Some like a cue action thats kind of manufactured , or robotic , like Steve Davis , John Higgins , Shaun Murphy etc , while others prefer the more natural or unorthodox cueist , Jimmy White , Alex Higgins , Ronnie O,sullivan for example .

Hendry in his prime had a lovely action , a bit faster than he has today , and Ronnie,s action is beautiful , like a Rolls Royce . Players action that stand out for me are Jimmy White , Nigel Bond , Paul Hunter , Mark Williams , Alex Higgins , Ronnie O,sullivan , Steve James , Neil Robertson , and a few others .

To pick one i,d say Jimmy White .

Comment

Yea I agree with themayorofliar Jimmy Whites que action is good really smooth and he can get alot of power from his shots...

I also think Marco Fu's cue action is really good for some reason its proper smooth.
                    "Where's the white going?"

Comment

Yes vmax4steve, I do remember the old chrystalate balls, and they were harder to screw back than modern balls. I was reasonably ok at longish screw shots with them, but Players like Ray Edmonds of Grimsby and "Nip" Wright from Skegness could screw them from eleven feet away and back to the other end of the table. As could a lot of the older pro's. These days, most good players can do it.
                      :snooker:

Comment

[QUOTE=Le Ball Sack;470742]The Rolls Royce of cue actions is Dave Harold.

You are joking
                        Welsh Is Best

Comment

Steve davis had the best action .

Comment

I think Dennis and the other commentators are really remarking on who has the best 'ideal' cue action, or in other words the cue action that players should strive for.

Every pro has their own quirks in their technique. For instance Ronnie uses the middle 2 fingers for his primary grip (not sure of when he playes left-handed) and also starts dropping his elbow BEFORE he hits the cueball. This is the way he learned as a kid and he has continued with that technique.

In his prime, Hendry used to stand well to the left of the shot with both feet and had about 8" between his cue butt and his right hip, but he can't twist his back like that now that he's near 40 and has had to make his stance a little more othordox.

The point I'm making is, everyone has their own little differences which makes their cue action unique FOR THEM and it's what works FOR THEM. I might not necessarily work FOR YOU, like if you tried to copy Ronnie's delivery as a grown-up. I think a kid could learn it though.

So from the 'ideal' point of view and the 'perfect' cue action the 2 players who stand out are Stephen Lee and Shaun Murphy. But, I'm not saying the other players are wrong, all I'm saying is it might be difficult for a players attempting to improve to try and copy another player's or professionals style.

For instance, Cliff Thorburn had (and still has) his own unique style and technique. He cues up 2" from the cueball, holds the cue in a fingertip grip, his right elbow is outside to the right by about 4" and he has a short backswing. However, when Cliff was on top of the snooker world in the 80's I used to see SO many Canadian players who tried to emulate him, not realizing Cliff learned that style when he was very young and it's HIS style and cpying it would not be the correct thing for a player to do.

A player should start with some coaching to get the correct basics and then develop their own natural style from there and try and avoid any 'fine tuning' once they are able to deliver the cue straight.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

When he was in his prime, Stephen Lee.
                              Now, Shaun Murphy.

Comment

Working...
                              X