Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Crucible matches

Hi everyone

I am looking to write a book about the greatest Crucible matches.

If anyone can highlight particularly dramatic, nerve-shredding encounters that would be brilliant.

Matches from before my time, in the Seventies and Eighties, are particularly useful.

Thanking you!

How do you plan on writing about great crucible moments if you weren't there to actually experience the atmosphere at the time? Are you looking for first hand accounts or are you going to watch recorded footage of the matches and just write about them?
    sigpic A Truly Beakerific Long Pot Sir!

Comment

I have access to the players and so will interview them to discuss the matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by jas875 View Post
        I have access to the players and so will interview them to discuss the matches.
        Didn't think of that
        Wish you all the best then I'm sure people on the forum will be able to give some suggestions.

Comment

Doherty v Hunter 2003 semi final

Comment

higgins v jimmy white semi final 1982 :snooker:

Comment

Higgins vs O'Sullivan
              Semi Final - Uk Championship 2009
              I'll play the black in the middle, one-handed.

Comment

2006 WCH: Hendry-Bond
                2007 WCH: Selby-Murphy
                2008 WCH: Swail-Liang
                2009 WCH: Higgins-Cope and Higgins-Selby
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCoVQZSihc

Love snooker.:fat:

Comment

*THAT* final in 1985.

Comment

91 QF James v Hendry

94 final White v Hendry
                    Last edited by hotpot; 20 March 2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

1980 Quarter-final - Alex Higgins v Steve Davis

It was the only time that "The Hurricane" defeated Davis at the Crucible..
                      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

hey jas, firstly what a brilliant idea, if your book takes of think it would help bring snooker back into the public eye so good luck mate,

for me it would have to be the jimmy vs hendry final when jimmy missed the black of its spot which allowed hendry to come a hoover up......am still gutted for jimmy lol think it was 1994. am sure one of the guys would correct me if i was wrong.

p.s whats jas short for if you dont mind me asking

Comment

i think it would help if people elaborated a bit as per the past 2 posts. otherwise we could end up with a huge thread with everyones personal favourites.

Comment

A few books have already covered this - Ray Reardon's 'Enjoying Snooker', Terry Smith's 'Snooker: The Players, The Shots and The Matches' and most recently Ian Welch's 'The Greates Moments of Snooker' spring to mind but an up to date work with player retrospectives would certainly be worthwhile. Casting aside personal bias I think some of the obvious classic matches are as follows:

1982 semi: Higgins v White: the two mercurial bad boys of snooker and Higgins's brinkmanship in the penultimate frame made this riveting viewing.

1985 quarter: Reardon v Parrott: experience triumphing against youth after midnight in this battle of Champions past and future. As much remembered for the sportsanship of the post-match interview.

1985 final: Taylor v Davis: need I say more.

1994 final: Hendry v White: probably the most exciting of their many battles at the Crucible

2003 semi: Doherty v Hunter: perhaps the greatest comeback of all time at the Crucible

2005 quarter: Ebdon v O'Sullivan: witness the meltdown of a genius

G.

Comment

There can be only one 1985 final: Taylor vs. Davis. go on Dennis wag that finger. I remember it was the first time that I was allowed to stay up late on a school night my mum and dad were both hooked on the game it was great.
                              What a night, drama, tensions and emotions it had the lot. there has been a few great matches over the years but this has to be the best overall for me. Davis takes the first session 7-0 . Dennis storms back in the second session ends the day only 9-7 down. Then they go nip and tuck all the way to 17-17. Into deciding frame and it’s a total twitcher from both them I had to have a look again on utube I never realized that the frame went on for 68 min and then Davis over cuts that black after Dennis had a run of luck not leave it stuck on after taking on a couple of doubles have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNpyNHrmjk

Comment

Working...
                              X