Try the best on every shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Try the best on every shot

A coach once told me, try the best on every shot. How do i know if i have tried the best on each shot? Sometimes it seems the more i focus on a shot the more pressure i get, for instance, i think about if my elbow is straight, my legs are aligned, head is straight, pause, grip etc etc, i cannot remember all. I know it should becomes automatic, but my mind can get fuzzy for that moment. Thanks for sharing....

dont do that on every shot in game
    you will end un in disaster

Heres the best method
    Go up and down the colours with the white and during this routine check for all the points one by one

Then try the same on long pots

When playing a frame just focus on the pre routine and post routine

Things will automatically fall in place

Comment

this is wat i usually do in practice... do my mental preparation, i.e. make my shot selection, potting angle, positioning, strength, stance, etc before actually getting down to play it... this would usually take just a sec or 2 for straightforward shots... having done that mental preparation, i'll stick to it when executing the shot...

if the shot came out wrong, be honest with myself on what i thought went wrong... was i gripping tightly? rushing the shot? not enough follow through? visualised incorrectly? not composed? etc... correct myself, replace the balls and execute again... the shot would probably come out better than the last time... then remember what was done better and apply that to subsequent shots.

it's easier said than done... but i find that if i stick to this routine, i can minimise bad habits, improve my technique and better my understanding on the positional aspect of the game...

my 2 cents worth...
      When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back. GET MAD!!

Comment

That coach told you the right thing but he should have added a bit more information as you have his idea wrong.

You should only focus on your technique when you are doing solitary practice.

When he said 'focus on the shot' he meant you should be entirely comfortable and confident in your technique and thus be able to deliver the cue straight and you should be focused on JUST THE POT AND WHERE YOU WANT TO STRIKE THE CUEBALL AND WITH WHAT POWER TO GET YOUR PLANNED POSITION.

By the way, planning the power and where to hit the cueball for correct position is always thought about and decided BEFORE your bridge hand hits the table and you concentration should be focused on doing EXACTLY what you planned to do when you were standing behind the shot.

Terry
        Terry Davidson
        IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
        X