Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does a 1-piece cue can you better feel than a 3/4 jointed cue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    Yes, it seems like the trend is to go back to one piece.
    Looks that way mate
    I believe if it's not for convenience, many would have choosen 1piece :Snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cueman View Post
      Personally for me a jointed cue was popular during the 80's and 90's because the tables were a fair bit slower than today so the extra weight of a jointed cue helped with moving the cueball around. Now as the game is played on ultra fast tables the touch is so important that I think many players just feel its easier to control the cueball with a 1 piece cue as its lighter and does give a much better feel though its subjective to the player and their ability.
      That's an interesting idea and may hold some truth, but let's not forget Hendry dominated the 90s with a 1-piece cue...

I can't really explain the resurgence of the 1-piece cue in recent years. There's certainly no advantage as far as transport goes (they're a nightmare to get in the car), and I don't think there's any advantage in playing terms either. Maybe it's just the domino effect of popularity.

Comment

or in the asthetical sense, a 1 piece looks better for me without that brass joint cutting across
        John Lim

Targets to beat: -line up 63, 78 (Nov 2012)- -practice match 67 (Nov 2012)- -competition 33 (Oct 2011)-

Comment

Yes, I personally do not like the look of the brass ring. So, even my 3/4 cues do not feature any brass ring. Just my personal preference.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

The tendancy is for 3/4 cues to be more powerfull, ie deep screws from range etc. Whereas one pc have more close control. Although this does vary a lot from cue to cue. Basically the short answer is try both and see which you prefer

Comment

i'd prefer a 1 piece cue any day.

You hardly ever see many good quality 1 piece American cues. do you think there's a reason apart from the American's perception of an ideal cue?

Comment

Don't think Americans are into making cue business...

Comment

Originally Posted by TheRowdyOne View Post
                  i'd prefer a 1 piece cue any day.

You hardly ever see many good quality 1 piece American cues. do you think there's a reason apart from the American's perception of an ideal cue?
                  I have never seen any American one piece cue except the really old cues and house cues.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I have played with both and a properly jointed 2 piece cue hits every bit as good and is much easier to transport. I never liked the brass jointed cues and feel that a course threaded steel pin and a wood to wood contact will give you a great hitting cue. I would worry more about getting a choice bit of wood and a quality tip for a great hitting cue.

I just think the trend has been more of a tradition and old school reaction. I would guess most of these players have never even hit with a well made two piece maple cue which imho gives better feel than ash and will stay straight

Comment

Ronnie O'Sullivan was using some US half jointed cue when he played pool, which he played quite well with. He also had John Parris made him at least one half jointed Ultimate cue, which he gave away. From what I understand, he has been always playing with a one piece when he plays snooker.

I hope you are not implying he chose to use a "warp" one piece over a 'straight" half jointed cue because it is traditional.

I am just joking.

On a serious note, a lot of snooker players in the UK have had plenty of chances to hit with some very nice US pool cues. There are pro 9 ball tours in the UK, and Europe. There are lots of chances to try out nicely built US pool cues in the UK especially if you are a very famous player. There are also some very nice pool cue makers in Europe.

It seems to be a choice they make regarding which cue they deem to be the most suitable for a particular game. For example, Tony Drago uses a half jointed cue when he plays 9 ball but he does not simply use the same cue with a different shaft when he plays snooker--he uses a different cue. Steve Davis does the exact same thing. Steve Davis has had many different pool cues made for him for 9 ball over the years, which he does not use when he plays snooker.
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                        Ronnie O'Sullivan was using some US half jointed cue when he played pool, which he played quite well with. He also had John Parris made him at least one half jointed Ultimate cue, which he gave away. From what I understand, he has been always playing with a one piece when he plays snooker.

I hope you are not implying he chose to use a "warp" one piece over a 'straight" half jointed cue because it is traditional.

I am just joking.

On a serious note, a lot of snooker players in the UK have had plenty of chances to hit with some very nice US pool cues. There are pro 9 ball tours in the UK, and Europe. There are lots of chances to try out nicely built US pool cues in the UK especially if you are a very famous player. There are also some very nice pool cue makers in Europe.

It seems to be a choice they make regarding which cue they deem to be the most suitable for a particular game. For example, Tony Drago uses a half jointed cue when he plays 9 ball but he does not simply use the same cue with a different shaft when he plays snooker--he uses a different cue. Steve Davis does the exact same thing. Steve Davis has had many different pool cues made for him for 9 ball over the years, which he does not use when he plays snooker.
                        Tip size would be the main reason I suspect.

Comment

I have had loads of cues over the years and whereby a 1 piece cue will offer a nice feel through the grip, so too will a well made 3/4 cue.
                          I had a 1 piece omin and had it jointed through the splices to offer easier travel and it hit the ball just the same as before i got it converted but, i did get Robert Osborne to do the conversion. So as i said as long as it is well made it should not make a great deal of difference and it will always come down to personal preference.
                          "Don't think, feel"

Comment

3/4 cue

hi everyone... i'm new here but have been playin the game for more than 10 yrs... but there's something i still don't understand: what are the pros & cons, advantages & disadvantages of a front heavy balanced cue? what are the characteristics of a front heavy cue?

Comment

Working...
                            X