• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
    You only get one life so go for it
    Exactly my thoughts, Alex. Go for it.

Comment

Originally Posted by monkey View Post
      Well, the last few months ive become greatly interested in snooker and i would really love to attempt to do it as a career. Now i know the chances of this are very slim, and at the minute im not too good. Im 15 years old, almost 16. Do you think its too late for me to practise like hell and try and make a name for myself in the snooker world? I mean, nothings impossible if you try hard enough...
      For God's sake! You're a baby!

I'm planning my first attempt at the PIOS (or whatever is replacing it) next season, at the age of 27. Mind you, I have been playing since I was 12 which I suppose is different to you...

Depending on your natural ability, you can make it to a good standard within 3-4 years, with lots of dedication and regular practise.

So, you could hit the semi-pro tour in your early 20s, which is fine.

My advice - go to your local club, find out the best player and practise with him. You'll never get anywhere unless you practise with very good players. Bear in mind though - you'll be spending 1-2 years picking balls out of pockets...

Also, play in as many competitions as you can.

But don't worry - you've got bags of time yet... (and remember - only freaks of nature like Hendry, O'Sullivan, Zhang etc make the Crucible in their teens)
      Last edited by FOXMULDER; 30 April 2010, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by levon View Post
        "Here's something to practice at home".
        An excellent exercise with a plastic bottle, I do it sometimes at home.
        http://www.snookergames.co.uk/tuition.html
        In pool training they use 250 or 330 g (whichever is the smaller than 0.5) coca-cola glass bottles. Though I think for snooker one needs a straighter/more precise cue action than that one.

2nd Watford about your chances.

But 15 years old doesn't sound like too late (Hendry started at 13 or 14? ), try intensive trainings for a year or 2, but directed ones, consulting a coach, and see how is it going.
        Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

thanks alot guys for the motivationEvery match that i see on the tv just inspires me more and more, probably will never reach a good standard but i can attempt it at least. Also, 8 hours a dayThat sounds a bit tuff? Thats like 40 quid a day on tables

Comment

you need to practice 8 hrs a day for 10 years you have to think the pros coming through now are 16/17/18 and they have been doing it for years there nothing saying you could get to a pro standard but making it to the top of the game starting at 16 is highly unlikley in todays game maybe in the 70s/80s it was possible but not today.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
              you need to practice 8 hrs a day for 10 years you have to think the pros coming through now are 16/17/18 and they have been doing it for years there nothing saying you could get to a pro standard but making it to the top of the game starting at 16 is highly unlikley in todays game maybe in the 70s/80s it was possible but not today.
              But are 12-14-16 year old kids practicing 8 hours a day already? Maybe closer to 4?
              They got school, for example. And can they keep concentration for that long?
              Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                making it to the top of the game starting at 16 is highly unlikley in todays game maybe in the 70s/80s it was possible but not today.
                Maybe not the top of the game, but that doesn't mean you can't have a good career as a professional.

Take for example Barry Pinches - this guy turned pro in 1991 but didn't make the Top 32 until 2004, when he was 34 years old.

Ultimately it's not about age, it's about standard of play. Look at Davis!

Comment

Go for it! :snooker:
                  sigpic

Comment

just cant belive 8 hours a day, that would get so boring

Comment

Originally Posted by monkey View Post
                      just cant belive 8 hours a day, that would get so boring
                      so do you want it or not?

btw, that's probably better than 8 hours in the office cubicle, looking into perspective. but only if you're really good - to earn from it, well if earning from it is an issue for you.
                      and you'd need to miss uni pretty much, in case you'd intend to go there. or ask hawkins how did he manage that.
                      trying to become a snooker pro would need quite similar time resources, training & dedication than for any other sport - having a full time job in it from about right now.

anyways, if you feel like doing it, try yourself out, but for at least as long then as Olive advised.
                      Last edited by ore; 30 April 2010, 11:02 PM.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

well i was going to go today for a few hours practise, but looks like im stopping at home to watch the robertson and selby matches later. I just cant miss them:snooker:

Comment

The only way you'll make it is if you get a table.

Otherwise, I'd stick with education!

Comment

Originally Posted by ibrahim View Post
                            impossible is nothing my friend. as u know practice makes perfect . so keep practicing and who knows one day u might become the next ronnie.
                            very well said i must say, impossible is nothing, you can do anything you want if you put ur mind to it no matter how old you are,

Comment

argh, ive just seen a video of this 10 year old chinese kid knocking the balls in like mad. Made me think that maybe it is impossible at my age to get good now lol

Comment

why does everyone think if you old you can not make it, its not age that does not matter one bit, its how you play and that comes down to confidence and self beleaf in your game and a little bit of magic

Comment

Working...
                                X