An Absurd, But Possible, Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Absurd, But Possible, Situation

It's a black ball game and a player plays a shot with sufficient power that both balls leave the bed of the table and bizarrely land on the same cushion - literally on the cushion rubber.

Would the opponent then be allowed to shoot the cue ball along the cushion rubber to try to pot the black into one of the pockets?

Could the frame continue in such a way?

No, if either ball comes to rest on a cushion it's a foul.

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
      It's a black ball game and a player plays a shot with sufficient power that both balls leave the bed of the table and bizarrely land on the same cushion - literally on the cushion rubber.

Would the opponent then be allowed to shoot the cue ball along the cushion rubber to try to pot the black into one of the pockets?

Could the frame continue in such a way?
      The game is ended with a foul on the black.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

There's a famous shot from the World Championship played by Alan McManus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXBOcg2tra4

So, if that brown stopped on the rail it would have been a foul?

Comment

I've made that shot before. If it drops back onto the table or in a pocket, it's fine. But on the rail or the floor, it's a foul.

Comment

i have to and seen it many times but if it stays on the cushion its a foul. whats the rule on this a player hits the cue ball on to a red so hard the red flys off the table. hits the corner of a shelf or some other object and lands back on the table is it a foul or not i say no.

Comment

My mate once played Alex Higgins at Potter's in Salford. Alex was on a break and played a green very hard and it jumped up on to the rail and was running along the cushion towards the middle pocket and my mate picked it up! LOL! Higgins went barmy at him and stormed out of the club screaming about amateurs. LMAO.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                i have to and seen it many times but if it stays on the cushion its a foul. whats the rule on this a player hits the cue ball on to a red so hard the red flys off the table. hits the corner of a shelf or some other object and lands back on the table is it a foul or not i say no.
                as long as the red comes to rest on the bed of the table, it can go anywhere else beforehand,so it is not a foul.

Comment

That could be useful, if you don't like the referee!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by ste bed View Post
                    If I was refereeing I would call foul. It has been forced off the table.

I would class the wall as an outside agency which has influenced the ball, so under the "Ball moved by other than striker" rule I would judge where the red would have landed were it not for the influence of the wall – that would be the floor so still a foul.

Comment

I think you might be on shakey ground with that one Statman.
                      The Rules only cover balls being MOVED by other than the striker not deflected, rebounded or anything else.
                      Some days I'm the statue.
                      Some days I'm the pigeon.
                      Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

Originally Posted by APK View Post
                        I think you might be on shakey ground with that one Statman.
                        The Rules only cover balls being MOVED by other than the striker not deflected, rebounded or anything else.
                        Would you allow the shot to stand, then?

Comment

I have heard that if it hit a piece of fixture then it is not illegal but if it was rebound or deflected by something other than that then it is not legal.
                          Say, if someone was sitting on the rail and the ball hits that person and got back on the table it was a foul. Or if it hits a piece of chalk on the rail or one which accidentally has fallen on the table then the shot is illegal.
                          But I am not 100% sure.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                            If I was refereeing I would call foul. It has been forced off the table.

I would class the wall as an outside agency which has influenced the ball, so under the "Ball moved by other than striker" rule I would judge where the red would have landed were it not for the influence of the wall – that would be the floor so still a foul.
                            The meaning of 'Forced off the Table' is clearly defined in the rules:

14. Forced off the table
                            A ball is forced off the table if it comes to rest other than on the bed of the table or in a pocket, or if it is picked up by the striker, whilst it is in play except as provided for in Section 3 Rule 14(h).

It is where the balls come to rest that matters. Provided the balls come to rest on the bed of the table (or legally end up in the pocket) then a shot is legal, regardless of whether it has left the table in the interim. The cushions are *not* the bed of the table, so the OP's shot would be a foul.

Statman, the application of the 'Ball Moved by Other than Striker' rule is questionable. For a ball which is off the table, the only time I'd invoke it was if someone other than the striker (or his partner) takes action to redirect the ball back onto the table.

15. Ball Moved by Other than Striker
                            If a ball, stationary or moving, is disturbed other than by the striker, it shall be re-positioned by the referee to the place he judges the ball was, or would have finished, without penalty.
                            (a) This Rule shall include cases where another occurrence or person, other than the striker's partner, causes the striker to move a ball.
                            (b) No player shall be penalised for any disturbance of balls by the referee.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                              The meaning of 'Forced off the Table' is clearly defined in the rules:

14. Forced off the table
                              A ball is forced off the table if it comes to rest other than on the bed of the table or in a pocket, or if it is picked up by the striker, whilst it is in play except as provided for in Section 3 Rule 14(h).

It is where the balls come to rest that matters. Provided the balls come to rest on the bed of the table (or legally end up in the pocket) then a shot is legal, regardless of whether it has left the table in the interim. The cushions are *not* the bed of the table, so the OP's shot would be a foul.

Statman, the application of the 'Ball Moved by Other than Striker' rule is questionable. For a ball which is off the table, the only time I'd invoke it was if someone other than the striker (or his partner) takes action to redirect the ball back onto the table.

15. Ball Moved by Other than Striker
                              If a ball, stationary or moving, is disturbed other than by the striker, it shall be re-positioned by the referee to the place he judges the ball was, or would have finished, without penalty.
                              (a) This Rule shall include cases where another occurrence or person, other than the striker's partner, causes the striker to move a ball.
                              (b) No player shall be penalised for any disturbance of balls by the referee.
                              So, if the ball hit a piece of chalk on the cushion and was bounced back on the table it was legal?
                              How about if it jumps up in the air hits the light and comes back to rest on the table, is that legal?
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X