An Absurd, But Possible, Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    So, if the ball hit a piece of chalk on the cushion and was bounced back on the table it was legal?
    How about if it jumps up in the air hits the light and comes back to rest on the table, is that legal?
    i would say the chalk was a piece of the players equipment,the light fitting isn't,so a foul for hitting the chalk,no foul for hitting light fitting??

Comment

I tend to agree with flame's logic.

Comment

How about if it jumps up in the air hits the light and comes back to rest on the table, is that legal?
        I've definitely heard Dennis Taylor say, more than once, that if a ball bounces off the table, hits the light fittings, then bounces back onto the table, it's a perfectly legal shot, or words to that effect. I know he's no reff, but he probably knows his stuff.
        The fast and the furious,
        The slow and labourious,
        All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Thanks everyone.
          So, if hitting the light is not a foul, is it logical to follow that hitting the wall or a pole is also okay as long as the ball comes back to rest on the table.
          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            So, if hitting the light is not a foul, is it logical to follow that hitting the wall or a pole is also okay as long as the ball comes back to rest on the table.
            yes as long as the ball comes to rest on the bed of the table.

Comment

Or (legally) in a pocket!

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                Or (legally) in a pocket!
                quite right.

Comment

Thank you so much everyone. I have learned something new again.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                    Even if it has also hit the floor? (Ok, I know we would need a very springy floor but...)

Comment

If it hits the light and shatter the bulbs, do you clean up the broken glasses with the balls on the table and then just resume play? What if the cloth is cut because of that?
                      Do you say because it is now impossible to restore the table to its original condition you need to start a new frame on another table?
                      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

If it hits the light and shatter the bulbs, do you clean up the broken glasses with the balls on the table and then just resume play? What if the cloth is cut because of that?
                        Do you say because it is now impossible to restore the table to its original condition you need to start a new frame on another table?
                        I remember a table light shattering (of its own accord) at a tournament once. I think it might have been in the old pro tour events back in the early 1990s.

There weren't more than a couple of reds left, as I recall, and the TD and referee made a diagram of where all the balls were so that the position could be recreated on another table and play resumed. It was considered that glass splinters would be too dangerous, until the table could be thoroughly cleaned.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                          I remember a table light shattering (of its own accord) at a tournament once. I think it might have been in the old pro tour events back in the early 1990s.

There weren't more than a couple of reds left, as I recall, and the TD and referee made a diagram of where all the balls were so that the position could be recreated on another table and play resumed. It was considered that glass splinters would be too dangerous, until the table could be thoroughly cleaned.
                          Thank you for posting this, this is not something I have seen nor heard.
                          I love this forum with all its knowledgable posters--learning something new all the time. Thank you.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                          X