Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller table waste of time in practice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smaller table waste of time in practice?

Hello, I am 15..

I have had my small table up for the past 1-2 months and i practice abotu 3/4+ hours a day on it. But is it a "waste" of time getting good on my table? because its too small?

When i start going down to snooker clubs or places with bigger tables in them, will it be compeltely different to my table and i will be back to basicly,crap..and it will take ages to get good to a bigger table??

-thanks

edit:
    Its 6Ft :S
    Last edited by DarrenReeder94; 8 May 2010, 12:13 PM.
    Name/Age: Darren Reeder, 16 (27th june 1994)

So different sized table, different height, different sized balls and different cloth and cue? Once you get the basic cue delivery techniques I think this can only harm you.

It is for younger and shorter people. If you are fully grown or almost so you would get greater benefit from practicing on a rugular 12ft table but of course you will be a little lighter in the pocketbook.

So if you can afford it and you have the height then get on a full sized table as much as you can.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      So different sized table, different height, different sized balls and different cloth and cue? Once you get the basic cue delivery techniques I think this can only harm you.

It is for younger and shorter people. If you are fully grown or almost so you would get greater benefit from practicing on a rugular 12ft table but of course you will be a little lighter in the pocketbook.

So if you can afford it and you have the height then get on a full sized table as much as you can.

Terry
      I got no room for a full size table. Once i can get a job im going to try to save up for one over a few months (trying to get a job in tesco or somthing over summer holidays) Althoug i am going to have to try to sort out the space problem :S....

will it be a massive change over to a bigger table? or just take a little while to get to use bigger balls/table e.t.c.? (i dont want to waste my time on my small table if it wont help my game :S )

Comment

It will help build your cue action .

Comment

Originally Posted by mick 142 View Post
          It will help build your cue action .
          mhmm, thats what i was thinking..

i just feel like im wasting my time because i get confident on my small table...then i go to full size and ill be back to square one.

Comment

yeah but if you go from a full size to smaller like a pool table, you'll find it easy. lol

Comment

I have played on a small table at home for many years and have always found that playing on a full size table very difficult because it is so much bigger. It will look the size of a football field at first and is in any case much more difficult to play well on due to the balls and pockets being smaller relative to the table size. But the basic techniques are the same and you will learn a lot on a small table that can be adapted later. About the only part of the game you won't learn anything about will be rest shots.

Comment

Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
                I have played on a small table at home for many years and have always found that playing on a full size table very difficult because it is so much bigger. It will look the size of a football field at first and is in any case much more difficult to play well on due to the balls and pockets being smaller relative to the table size. But the basic techniques are the same and you will learn a lot on a small table that can be adapted later. About the only part of the game you won't learn anything about will be rest shots.

So you think if i practice for next few months on my table then HOPEFULLY by end of 2010 i can have full size, it should help me alot of cue ball controll and angles and stuff?

And basicly the only thing i cant practice with is distance?

Comment

I played on my small table for years, and without it I doubt I'd have half the ability I have today. It teaches you angles and you can practise your cue action. Like you said though, distances are something you can't measure and you won't be able to get as much spin as the cloth will probably be very fluffy and felty like mine was! The first time I took the break-off shot on a full size table the white went up and down the table about 5 times! Just make sure when you do play on a full-size table to get the pace up the table first, hit the white up and down a few times. You'll be amazed how quick it is.
                  :snooker:
                  High break: 117
                  2013 Midlands University Snooker Champion

Comment

Originally Posted by Tom Read View Post
                    I played on my small table for years, and without it I doubt I'd have half the ability I have today. It teaches you angles and you can practise your cue action. Like you said though, distances are something you can't measure and you won't be able to get as much spin as the cloth will probably be very fluffy and felty like mine was! The first time I took the break-off shot on a full size table the white went up and down the table about 5 times! Just make sure when you do play on a full-size table to get the pace up the table first, hit the white up and down a few times. You'll be amazed how quick it is.
                    so playing on my table will help improve my game then..Thanks! i play for a few hours every day and its just good to know im not wasting my time by doing this.

Comment

the only thing it can possibly help you with is your cue action, and you cant really work on it that effectively on a small table. imo (from personal experience) it does more harm than good.

Comment

Originally Posted by DarrenReeder94 View Post
                        ... it should help me alot of cue ball controll and angles and stuff?

And basicly the only thing i cant practice with is distance?
                        It will definitely teach you a lot about angles, positional play, break building and the rest, and spin on the cueball can be done on a small table too.

As for whether it's wasted time, are you enjoying playing several hours a day? If so it can't be wasted time!

Comment

Originally Posted by BarryH View Post
                          It will definitely teach you a lot about angles, positional play, break building and the rest, and spin on the cueball can be done on a small table too.

As for whether it's wasted time, are you enjoying playing several hours a day? If so it can't be wasted time!
                          I agree with that , i like many others learned all the shots and my way around the table so to speak on a six footer and when i started on a full size it stood me in good stead , ok when you move onto a bigger table its a different kettle of fish , but adleast you know how to play the shots even if the feel is totally different .

Joe Davis once said its better to play on the carpet than not to play at all .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                            I agree with that , i like many others learned all the shots and my way around the table so to speak on a six footer and when i started on a full size it stood me in good stead , ok when you move onto a bigger table its a different kettle of fish , but adleast you know how to play the shots even if the feel is totally different .

Joe Davis once said its better to play on the carpet than not to play at all .
                            Thanks for posative reply,

I have played on full size once in my life and i remember it was so hard (i went hemsby last augest and played in snooker club).. i am going to go hemsby again this year for 2 weeks (i convinced mum to go for two weeks for more snooker time ;-) ) and i am hoping i can be a little better at playing by then

----

so, thanks everyone, i am going to keep playing on my smaller table untill i can get a bigger one..

P.S..
                            If i cant get full szie (no space) is there a smaller table i can get with same size balls/Good cloth etc.?

Comment

You can get a six foot slate bed table , or an eight and nine and ten foot .

Aint there anywhere near you where you can play on a full size .

Comment

Working...
                              X