• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gym and Snooker

Hello there guys!

I'd like to ask something.

I've been playing for 4 years.

Recently I started to go to the gym, not the snooker one , and now I realized

my game became worse.. as though, I lost the feeling of a shot I had before..

Does it somehow have to do with the gym exercises?

And do body development and snooker come together?

Thanks for the reply

Well my theory is training will effect your snooker . I was e serious natural bodybuilder and noticed that it affected my snooker as my wrist was turning meaning i was putting on unintentional side .

As my training became more intense my snooker got worse , to the point where i stopped playing for five years .
    Ive stopped traing and returned to snooker lately and the problem has nearly gone and i,m hitting the ball a lot straighter .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
      Well my theory is training will effect your snooker . I was e serious natural bodybuilder and noticed that it affected my snooker as my wrist was turning meaning i was putting on unintentional side .

As my training became more intense my snooker got worse , to the point where i stopped playing for five years .
      Ive stopped traing and returned to snooker lately and the problem has nearly gone and i,m hitting the ball a lot straighter .
      Thank you for the fast reply!!

Well, I am so sorry to hear that, because I'd like to continue them both..

My problem is the feeling... I am feeling my arm is heavier then it was before and I am also feeling that my cueing is not straight enough...

Comment

I would think that hotpot is right about snooker and weight training not going together. But if that is what you like to do, then just carry on doing both.

In my opinion, they do not go together, as I have also done both.

Just carry on enjoying yourself.
        :snooker:

Comment

I think it depends on what type of exercices you're doing and what's your objective. Are you planning to get some cardio exercises just to be in shape or do you want to go weightlifting to gain muscle?

If the 1st choice is a good one (see Ronnie is running a lot, Ebdon is swimming too), as it allows your body to be sharp and your endurance to improve, the second induces a transformation of your body so you might lose some of the 'fluidity' (sp?) you had previously.
          Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

I play better [ sometimes ] when i put a bit of weight on !

So i don't bother going on a diet [ not that i ever did ] .That's my excuse

Assume that when your body changes shape it will effect your cue action .

I.e if you play with the cue close to you and you lose weight , it must effect your action .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I find that the two don't mix too well. I use to go to the gym frequently around 2 years ago, and I would go to the gym around 5 times a week. I would normally focus on having a good cardiovascular workout, and then 3 hours later I would be playing Snooker. More often than not, my cue action would be (greatly affected), and my cue arm would be unsteady, and I was unable to push the cue through in a straight line..
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I guess the problem is when you bulk up you lose alot of flexibility and your range of motion becomes limited as well, basically you don't become as natural as before. I guess you can get used to the new bulk by playing alot but since keeping your physique is also hard, when you slim down you have to adjust again?

The only thing that serious snooker players need is cardio either running or swimming. It would be funny to see someone as big as arnold play snooker, they would be all hard and rigid and not fluid at all

Comment

If your gym workouts are to build size & strength - your snooker will suffer.
                  The muscle fibres used when playing snooker (your cue action) are called TYPE 1 SO. They will not grow bigger and are fatigue resistant. They are the same muscle fibres that a violinist would use. The muscle fibres used for weight training are called TYPE 2 FG/FOG. These are the fibres that grow. The recovery process after a weight training workout can still be taking place up to 10 days or even more depending on the exercise done. This recovery process affects the "muscle memory" in your TYPE 1 SO fibres. It doesn't mean you will always play poorly but you may experience playing well one day then playing a few days later and feeling like you had not played in months. Have you heard of the term "muscle tone"? Muscles that are regularly trained (even if they are not getting bigger) are firmer - even when relaxed. Again, this is not a good condition for a snooker player. You will find top pro snooker players of every shape, weight & size over the last 83 years - but not one with a musclular physique.

Comment

Originally Posted by wayync View Post
                    I guess the problem is when you bulk up you lose alot of flexibility and your range of motion becomes limited as well, basically you don't become as natural as before. I guess you can get used to the new bulk by playing alot but since keeping your physique is also hard, when you slim down you have to adjust again?

The only thing that serious snooker players need is cardio either running or swimming. It would be funny to see someone as big as arnold play snooker, they would be all hard and rigid and not fluid at all
                    Flexibility is lost when bodybuilders grow butdo not incorporate a stretching program into thier training. The thin skin (fasca) that surrounds the muscle and holds it together has a poor blood supply and stretching helps expand it. Arnold used to do a lot more stretching exercises than the other guys in the '70s and was one of the most flexible too.

Comment

Heavy weights no problem to me,solid stance i get and hands are working nicely. Made my highest brake 143 and knocking easy brakes 50-120 when playing about 15 frames. Bought heavyer cue from Tony Wilshaw about 19 oz and potting balls better than ever. Dont have to use too much force and power.Hand goes better and cueball moves superb. I hope to oyu others the same. Its between ears,think positive.

Comment

Originally Posted by mick farrell View Post
                        If your gym workouts are to build size & strength - your snooker will suffer.
                        The muscle fibres used when playing snooker (your cue action) are called TYPE 1 SO. They will not grow bigger and are fatigue resistant. They are the same muscle fibres that a violinist would use. The muscle fibres used for weight training are called TYPE 2 FG/FOG. These are the fibres that grow. The recovery process after a weight training workout can still be taking place up to 10 days or even more depending on the exercise done. This recovery process affects the "muscle memory" in your TYPE 1 SO fibres. It doesn't mean you will always play poorly but you may experience playing well one day then playing a few days later and feeling like you had not played in months. Have you heard of the term "muscle tone"? Muscles that are regularly trained (even if they are not getting bigger) are firmer - even when relaxed. Again, this is not a good condition for a snooker player. You will find top pro snooker players of every shape, weight & size over the last 83 years - but not one with a musclular physique.
                        So do you think regular running and swimming cardio will affect play? I'm pretty sure being fit will be better then being fat and lazy. at least your stamina, energy level and attention will be better

Comment

Originally Posted by seppo147 View Post
                          Heavy weights no problem to me,solid stance i get and hands are working nicely. Made my highest brake 143 and knocking easy brakes 50-120 when playing about 15 frames. Bought heavyer cue from Tony Wilshaw about 19 oz and potting balls better than ever. Dont have to use too much force and power.Hand goes better and cueball moves superb. I hope to oyu others the same. Its between ears,think positive.
                          I guess it affects some people more then the rest. I'm sure if you have a regular workout routine in which you are consistently keeping your body at an optimal shape/level, you can perform well.

It's only when you decide one day i wanna be healthy and fit then you stop working out for a month your game will suffer because your body doesn't adapt to the inconsistency.

Comment

So do you think regular running and swimming cardio will affect play? I'm pretty sure being fit will be better then being fat and lazy. at least your stamina, energy level and attention will be better
                            Running or swimming will not affect play. Stimulating muscle growth means training your muscles to momentary failure. FG fibres are stimulated with a set lasting up to 30 seconds (4 to 8 reps)-power lifters use very low reps but get big. FOG fibres are stimulated with a set lasting between about 90 seconds (15 reps max -slow negatives)- bodybuilders tend to alternate between FG & FOG stimulation. Anything over 2 minutes or so does not stimulate growth but like running or swimming are good for getting fit.

Comment

I guess it affects some people more then the rest. I'm sure if you have a regular workout routine in which you are consistently keeping your body at an optimal shape/level, you can perform well.

It's only when you decide one day i wanna be healthy and fit then you stop working out for a month your game will suffer because your body doesn't adapt to the inconsistency.
                              I am healthy,not pumping hormones and beeing size of massive bodybuilder. I have been keeping brake from gym and game goes well. I do also long walks and it gives me that energy. I do practise sometimes tired after work because and try to do my best doing well. Have to be ready to play in any condition. No talks,its between ears! I have also hard work. That is idiot to say wanna be healthy one day and game will suffer,those kind of people i try to AVOID. Always complaining havent beeing playing enough,tired,some other things in mind and so far. Think positive and dont tell to other people game starts to suffer some day,keep your own game in mind. Lets say you masturbate with your cueing hand,does it matter to your game??????

Comment

Working...
                              X