Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you play for money, or share the bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you play for money, or share the bill?

Do you play for money, or share the bill?

How else do you play?

Always share the light bill, but now and then will play the last frame for £2 to make things a bit more serious - just to stop you going for that crazy pot lol

Comment

Same here, share the table cost with an occasional small side bet to make things interesting. When one my mate visits he offers to pay for the table if I do a 30+ break knowing that his money is safe!! I'll catch him out one of these times.

Comment

When I was younger I would invariably play for money and loved doing so. Though nowadays I prefer going halves on the table, whoever and whenever I play..
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Have you seen amateur Tennis players play for money ? I rather see snooker as a SPORT than GAMBLING.
          Last edited by Asi; 26 August 2010, 10:34 AM.
          Proud winner of the 2009 Premier League Semi-Final Prediction Contest

Comment

Normally play for money and split the light . Not too much money . Normally £10 first to four plus might throw in the odd high break prize . Tend not to do that too much as i never win it
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

We always play for the light plus an extra £5 for the highest break.

It normally evens itself out

Comment

Well, in Canada in the snooker clubs it's very normal to play for the table time and in most cases play for 10pounds a frame too, with the exception of the Legions where they have the light meters and everyone shares the light costs.

I happen to agree that gambling shouldn't be an integral part of snooker but it does put a little pressue on both players and keeps the frames more serious.

I don't normally play for money but I do normally play for the table time, although I don't go to a snooker club very often as the closest one to me is a 2hr drive into Toronto (although a lcub closer to me in Kitchener is re-opening after a long 'upgrade' of 4 months but it's still a 40minute drive away.

Terry
                Terry Davidson
                IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I used to play for table time and drinks sometimes, but I wouldn't call that playing for money. It's child's play. I'm not a money match player and never will be thankfully.
                  20 quid bet can turn into 1000 very quickly. It can become very addictive. Be careful. I wouldn't recommend playing for money to anyone.

Comment

In our club we play for table fees. 16usd/per hour. 2.5 hours. lets say 6 frames. PlayerA wins 4 PLayer B wins 2. PLay Both players pay for what they lose:

16 x 2.5 = 40USD/ 6 games = 6.66 per game

PlayerA owes: 2 x.6.66= 13.33 PlayerB owes: 4 x 26.64

Rounded up or down for whole dollars.

Comment

P.S

Terry - is Kirk Stevens still playing in that club (JD's?) down in Cambridge Ontario?

Comment

When I first learned to play, we always shared the table costs. When we improved a bit, we would either play for the cost of the table, or play for a little side bet, which got a little bigger as we got a little older.

If we did not play snooker, then would play golf on the snooker table or some other game, always for money. Some of us would make a good bit of pocket money that way. Most of the time it would be golf.

Now have started to play again after such a long lay off, we each put the same amount in the machine for the lights.
                        :snooker:

Comment

I normally play my friend for £2 per frame with the start changing by 5 points per frame (ie if I win a frame giving him 25 it will be 30 next frame) so not very much money changes hands normally and if it does one night, the other normally has a good chance the next time.

Comment

jono:

JD's in Cambridge closed about 2 years ago but I didn't know Kirk practiced in there. I know Bob Chaperone used to practice there when he lived in Cambridge, before he moved back to Sudbury.

Kirk sometimes goes into Shooters in east Toronto to practice, along with a bunch of other players like Cliff, Floyd Zeigler, John White (he owns Shooters), Eriks Malderis and some other players I can't think of right now.

Terry
                            Terry Davidson
                            IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Usually share the table bill, but having a few quid on things makes it more interesting.

Tryed a few methods over the years either start at £3 1st frame then go up £1 each frame till you get to £10 a frame.

Then been known to play double or quits whatever the amount or double or quits plus £10 or £20.......I was £160 down once & played double or quits plus £20......theory being i was sure to win at least one one frame during the night usually the very last one, mate was none to happy though he won the session 9 frames to 1 & ended up being £20 down.....lol

I must point out this was before i was a family man as i'm skint now, but still like to play for a few quid keeps the old school snooker hall ways alive & well in the modern game.

Comment

Working...
                              X