Conceding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conceding

In tonights match between Judd Trump and Steven Maguire, Maguire conceded the 4th frame when there were enough points left for him to win.
    The referee warned him, as is in the rules, which to me semed a bit odd.
    The match is a best of 5, so if he if he were to do it in the 5th frame, he would lose the frame and match. But then as the 5th frame IS the final frame, does it really matter? I suppose because it is against the rules, the referee had no choice.
    You are only the best on the day you win.

Yes he has to. Otherwise it wouldn't be against the rules in the penultimate frame. But I see what you're saying.

Comment

I see your point too. About 2 year ago Worldsnooker realeased a change of section 4-5 in the rule book (conceding). Point (a) was changed. Point (c) was not changed. But the WSA stressed that this rule has to be strictly applied. The referee must warn the player if he concedes a frame without needing snookers.

Comment

Kyra

I also think it has since been updated to say that the referee can use his discretion and not warn the player if he leaves frame ball unmissably over the pocket. (I have seen someone leave the decisive final black over the hole and not be warned when he conceded, fairly recently; Ding was warned for the same at the Crucible in 2009.)

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
          Kyra

I also think it has since been updated to say that the referee can use his discretion and not warn the player if he leaves frame ball unmissably over the pocket. (I have seen someone leave the decisive final black over the hole and not be warned when he conceded, fairly recently; Ding was warned for the same at the Crucible in 2009.)
          Do you know when it has been updated ? Maybe your information is of a newer date.
          I know that it is at the discretion of the referee, if a player concedes when he is not the striker. But I'm not sure what about the other situation.

Comment

Not off hand I don't, no.

You are definitely right; that was an update a couple of seasons ago. I think then there may have been a flurry of players being warned in circumstances such as leaving the final black over the pocket, or perhaps the last red hanging in the jaws when 30-odd behind.

So I think they gave the referee discretion specifically when it is frame ball that is left, and it is unmissably over the pocket.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
              Not off hand I don't, no.

You are definitely right; that was an update a couple of seasons ago. I think then there may have been a flurry of players being warned in circumstances such as leaving the final black over the pocket, or perhaps the last red hanging in the jaws when 30-odd behind.

So I think they gave the referee discretion specifically when it is frame ball that is left, and it is unmissably over the pocket.
              im not sure when it was updated however i have absolutely no doubt Barry Hearn was behind changing it.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                im not sure when it was updated however i have absolutely no doubt Barry Hearn was behind changing it.
                The change I was referring to was released in 2008. Pre-Hearn era I'd say

Comment

I am going to a referee seminar in a couple of weeks. Due to personal circumstances, I have been 'out of the loop' as regards refereeing for a couple of years. I will pose this question and post an answer. (If any other rule updates arise, I'll post those as well).
                  You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Working...
                  X