No announcement yet.

Amateur Foul & Miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In our league all matches are refereed by your opponent... In general, misses are not called unless you can see a ball, there is an easy one cushion escape, or there is an easier escape route than you are trying! We are fortunate to have 99.9% of our league members 'playing' fairly and judge it by how they would fair with the same shot.

However, when it gets to the semi's and finals of league competitions the county referees do their bit!! It seems they are bound to use ALL the rules But, of course, the player DOESN'T have to take the miss and opponents tend to still use their discretion over the referee...

I remember playing in a county event semi-final one year with a referee who was a bit of a killjoy on the rulings. I was 2-1 up in a best of 5 and nearly fourty points infront with 2 reds left and was put in a snooker:

White ball was around the D area somewhere with the brown sitting infront of it.
    The 2 reds where next to each other behind the black spot (black was on its spot)

Not too difficult apart from the fact that if I played a 'one cushion' escape via the right hand cushion I needed to hit where the middle pocket was!! And the green was partially obstructing the line anyway. playing via the left hand side 'one cushion' escape was also obstructed with the blue on the cushion where i needed to hit! Needless to say having played quite a few misses trying with side/swerve and in one instance only missing by fractions and still being called a miss I decided the shot was impossible to get out of using only one cusion and confronted the referee and asked how he fells I should hit it! He said he was calling a miss because it was a 'one cushion' escape!!!! I explained that the obstructions on the table made this a very difficult snooker to escape and he should be more lenient.... I EVENTUALLY hit the reds of TWO cushions after giving away all but 5-6 points of my lead, left a red on and watched my opponent clear up!! He won the decider after that too!! I wasn't happy.

(Yes, my opponent wasn't a fair sportsman and took every miss that was offered)
    Highest Break
    Practice: 136 (2005)
    Match: 134 (2006)
    In 2011: 94
    Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Working...
    X