Snooker rule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker rule?

wonder if anyone knows what the outcome or rule is.

i was put in a snooker which was physically impossible to hit so what would happen?

14. Foul and a Miss

The striker shall, to the best of his ability, endeavour to hit the ball on. If the referee considers the Rule infringed, he shall call FOUL AND A MISS unless only the Black remains on the table, or a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball on. In the latter case it must be assumed the striker is attempting to hit the ball on provided that he plays, directly or indirectly, in the direction of the ball on with sufficient strength, in the referee's opinion, to have reached the ball on but the obstructing ball or balls.

Comment

In this case the player plays the cueball towards to object, commiting a mandatory foul and incurring a four point penalty. If the snooker had been a little less good, the player may have accumulated a dozed "foul and a miss" penalties before finally escaping the snooker. Is there something wrong here? This part of the rule is fine but the Miss rule is just too much. Replacing disturbed balls violates the purity of the game. Balls can never be replaced exactly. Balls should never be touched by human hands except to respot the colours and to place the cueball in the D. The "Go Again" and "Free Ball" rules are sufficient compensation for missed escapes from snookers.

Comment

Originally Posted by jwarren987 View Post
        In this case the player plays the cueball towards to object, commiting a mandatory foul and incurring a four point penalty.
        Not necessarily four point penalty: it depends on what balls not on surround the cue ball and what the (nominated) ball on is. If you're on a red but surrounded by colours it depends on which colour you hit first; similarly if you're on a colour but surrounded by reds, it depends on what colour you nominate.

Comment

I agree of course but I was too lazy to enumerate all the possibilities as you just did.

Comment

Working...
          X