No free balls in US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No free balls in US?

I play pool in the US, and recently started playing snooker, and at the club where I play I questioned the regulars about freeball situations, strategies, and they all looked at me as though I were an alien. They never use it. Can someone explain alittle about it, and why it would be noninclussive to the US Snooker rules?

They also play 7 points for all fouls, is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Renegade
    Renegade_56

Mike Wooldridge Black Shark

Raffle For Chris Nitti Custom Pool Cue

www.classifiedbillards.com/mybb

Wikipedia has a good explanation regarding the use of a free ball. It is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rules_of_snooker#Free_ball

With regards to fouls, no, 7 points is not the standard. A 'regular' foul (in-off or scratch stroke, missing object red ball, knocking cue ball off the table, etc) is worth 4 points; fouls on the blue, pink, and black are worth 5, 6, and 7, respectively.

Comment

thanks pard, that clears it all up, though I still don't see why my American compadres chose different rules. I'd like to hear how Americans play at their own local clubs if there are any that happen to read this.
      Renegade_56

Comment

In my experience, Americans tend to do things their way, with complete disregard for the rest of the world anyway, so can imagine they'd make their own snooker rules if they don't like the rest of the worlds.

Comment

renegade:

These are local club rules and if you happen to be gambling or even playing loser pays for the table it would be helpful to yourself to check and see what rules your opponent plays under.

Also, you should work to introduce the proper rules in your area and you can get a copy of the rules from the IBSF website in .pdf and also on snookerline.com at the BC Cue Sports link.

These rules have developed independently in the US since for years they had no connection to the international bodies that govern snooker. There might be a copy on the US snooker website too, snookerUSA.com

Terry
          Terry Davidson
          IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

renegade 56
            i too dont see how Americans inject there own rules . im lucky enough to be in the UAE for now and get the opportunity to watch the Premiere Snooker League , It is cool to see how snooker is really played. ive read some of your posts on AZ . i was in cherry point for 5 years and am glad to see they are getting a snooker table and rid or those awful robertson tables in BJs . mr stixx is a pretty good place and has a tight deep shelf snooker table . and if you can break a century on it , you've got game

Comment

Originally Posted by Renegade_56 View Post
              I play pool in the US, and recently started playing snooker, and at the club where I play I questioned the regulars about freeball situations, strategies, and they all looked at me as though I were an alien. They never use it. Can someone explain alittle about it, and why it would be noninclussive to the US Snooker rules?

They also play 7 points for all fouls, is this correct?

Thanks in advance,

Renegade
              hi I used to play Snooker in New York City usa about 40 years ago a place called Mcgirs in Mahhatten on a Snooker Table 6 ft by 12 ft all snooker points fouls were seven points and we used to play one red ball with all the colours on there spots the table was very tight and i remember there was a screens under the table and you use to put your clothes with a lock because if you put your clothes hanging on the wall they would be stolen the likes of Willie Mosconi Lassiter use to play there and the place was open 24 hours those were the good old days. cheers Leonard from Canada

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
                hi I used to play Snooker in New York City usa about 40 years ago a place called Mcgirs in Mahhatten on a Snooker Table 6 ft by 12 ft all snooker points fouls were seven points and we used to play one red ball with all the colours on there spots the table was very tight and i remember there was a screens under the table and you use to put your clothes with a lock because if you put your clothes hanging on the wall they would be stolen the likes of Willie Mosconi Lassiter use to play there and the place was open 24 hours those were the good old days. cheers Leonard from Canada
                Just 1 red? Wow! (I hope Barry Hearn doesn't hear about this.) That's missing out on most of the game, why would you do that? Were the rest of the reds pinched like your clothes?

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
                  we used to play one red ball with all the colours on there spots
                  I'll give you a game......

Ermmmmmmmmmm...............

YOU CAN BREAK
                  Highest Break
                  Practice: 136 (2005)
                  Match: 134 (2006)
                  In 2011: 94
                  Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Are there no dots, no commas, in fact NO punctuation marks at all, on Canadian keyboards, montrealer?

An pain in the a.. it is to read such a thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
                      I'll give you a game......

Ermmmmmmmmmm...............

YOU CAN BREAK
                      That CAN go terribly wrong...

Comment

Originally Posted by PatBlock View Post
                        Just 1 red? Wow! (I hope Barry Hearn doesn't hear about this.) That's spot missing out on most of the game, why would you do that? Were the rest of the reds pinched like your clothes?

-
                        Hii the reason why they played one red which was spoted before the pink spot because with 15 reds the game would last over 40 minitues as we played for money and the game would finish faster

Comment

Originally Posted by Krypton View Post
                          Are there no dots, no commas, in fact NO punctuation marks at all, on Canadian keyboards, montrealer?

An pain in the a.. it is to read such a thing.
                          HI no wonder your name is KRYPTON are you from Mars just kidding

Comment

Originally Posted by rhettman80 View Post
                            renegade 56
                            i too dont see how Americans inject there own rules . im lucky enough to be in the UAE for now and get the opportunity to watch the Premiere Snooker League , It is cool to see how snooker is really played. ive read some of your posts on AZ . i was in cherry point for 5 years and am glad to see they are getting a snooker table and rid or those awful robertson tables in BJs . mr stixx is a pretty good place and has a tight deep shelf snooker table . and if you can break a century on it , you've got game
                            hi pard, yep Cherry Point is actually where I work. I'm sure you remember the old BJ's Billiards. Well it's under new management, been completely remodeled, and is going pretty strong now. The old Robertsons are being replaced with Gold Grown 3's, and the snooker table will be delivered tomorrow, but they still have to order cloth and set it up. Mr Stix is really goin down fast. You're right, the old snooker table is very tight.

When ya comin back, I can use some pointers!

Renegade
                            Renegade_56

Comment

Renegade.
                              My company sends people to fayetteville sometimes and if I get up there I definetly will. However I'm not all that good for pointers since im a pool player by birth. Snooker is very scarce in the southeast esp in Alabama where I am . Most people play golf which I think is disgusting , disgraceful and terrible for a stroke . When I was there BJ s had one apart in the back and never would set it up I was pd. becuase the only other place I knew of with a snooker table was in VA beach which this junkie made the trip many times ,. If I read correctly ,you purchased a mike wooldrige cue? how is it . I ordered a shark the other day. cant wait to get home and strike some. Good shooting

Comment

Working...
                              X