Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a coach...

Ok, i need some serious help...

i think i need to start from scratch, go over the basics and learn to do things properly...i probably should of done this before instead of trying to teach myself and trying to work out the best way myself. It seems im really struggling at the moment and have been for quite some time, i seem to flutter between buzzing one day and potting balls like their going out of fashion and then im useless the next and its so frustrating!

I did have a couple of sessions with a coach who pointed me in the right directions for break building etc (im not sure he is a proper coach but he helped me nonetheless) but i think i just need to start from scratch and work on the basics, i find myself doubting things like my stance, my bridge hand, my cueing, what my eyes are doing, what my head is thinking and ultiatmely i end up missing stupid shots just because im so conscious of whatever else im doing at the time...

i just want to have fun and knock in a frame winning break everytime i get to the table! haha (not too much to ask is it?)

lol

can anyone suggest someone who is decent in my area of Egham, Surrey? TW20 postcode...i dont mind travelling so long as its not TOO far and i dont have millions to spend but i realise you get what you pay for.

kindest regards!
    Luke
    what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

If your serious get your self down to the snooker farm and see del hill, be the best snooker decision you'll ever make.

Comment

Nic Barrow is nearer than Del to you Luke and seems to have put srrikimiki onto the right path.
      :snooker:

Comment

i am in northampton if you are interested.

gavin
        coaching is not just for the pros
        www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Anybody know of any good coaches in the west midlands area?

Comment

Originally Posted by Luke Hooper View Post
            Ok, i need some serious help...

i think i need to start from scratch, go over the basics and learn to do things properly...i probably should of done this before instead of trying to teach myself and trying to work out the best way myself. It seems im really struggling at the moment and have been for quite some time, i seem to flutter between buzzing one day and potting balls like their going out of fashion and then im useless the next and its so frustrating!

I did have a couple of sessions with a coach who pointed me in the right directions for break building etc (im not sure he is a proper coach but he helped me nonetheless) but i think i just need to start from scratch and work on the basics, i find myself doubting things like my stance, my bridge hand, my cueing, what my eyes are doing, what my head is thinking and ultiatmely i end up missing stupid shots just because im so conscious of whatever else im doing at the time...

i just want to have fun and knock in a frame winning break everytime i get to the table! haha (not too much to ask is it?)

lol

can anyone suggest someone who is decent in my area of Egham, Surrey? TW20 postcode...i dont mind travelling so long as its not TOO far and i dont have millions to spend but i realise you get what you pay for.

kindest regards!
            Luke
            Luke , I'm going for lessons at King's Cross Snooker Club this week but the guy also works out of a club in Tooting . John Woods is his name.
            "john@gone2pot.net"

What about also trying Woking Snooker Club .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Luke

I've seen your posts in the past and am always impressed with your enthusiasm for the game, well done!

From my 30 yrs playing experience which varied between periods of inconsistency to consistency, there is only one thing that is common when playing consistently well and that is to keep the same cue action. For me that has meant that I am able to sight the shot, stay on the shot and, when the cue goes through, it stays on the line I chose in the first place.

But let me tell you, after 20 years of playing with my heart and taking and playing shots as I fancy them, if anyone said roll that ball in dead weight, plain ball, I couldnt do it as I realised I never really had a cue action. I was playing with side all the time with particular pace, so if I needed a slow shot I tended to drag them. And this was from a 100 break player but it was no good making big breaks if I couldn't do ALL the shots that I needed to play.

So I too had to start from scratch. The best thing I did because now I believe I have a greater repertoire of shots than ever and am able to rely on it in matches, so if you need to make that decision to change everything dont be afraid to do so!

Just a quick tip, play a shot and stay down, put the cue through and if you know and feel its not going to be straight when you cue, then regardless of the angle you selected, its likely your cue arm delivering off line, try moving the elbow over to the left or right to suit.

Happy playing!

Comment

Originally Posted by saddler79 View Post
                Anybody know of any good coaches in the west midlands area?
                Andy Brett,

He's based in solihull so probably about 40mins away from you.

PM me if you want some contact details for him or have a look on Del Hill's site.

Comment

Originally Posted by Luke Hooper View Post
                  ... in my area of Egham, Surrey? TW20 postcode...i dont mind travelling so long as its not TOO far and i dont have millions to spend but i realise you get what you pay for.
                  I'm not as good as you as a player (high break only in the 20's) but I am also very keen to work on my basic technique etc. I've been watching any and all coaching videos I can find and practicing the basics for the last 3-4 months, so..

If you want someone to practice with, and I mean doing basic set drills and paying close attention to technique on every shot etc..

And, if we can sort out somewhere near enough for both of us to get to (I'm in Ewell SW19) then maybe we can give that a go and see if it helps/works for both of us.

It's not a replacement for getting actual coaching, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and it will help us both

Send me a PM if you're interested.
                  "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                  - Linus Pauling

Comment

Simon, how long did it take you to rebuild your game when you deconstructed it? And who helped you in that process?
                    Andy Guest
                    www.mysnookerstats.com - free download now!

Comment

luke:

Although it's going to cost you I would recommend you set something up with Nic Barrow, perhaps a 4hr or all-day session with video analysis. He is in Milton Keynes and is on here so you can PM him or else 'nic147(at)thesnookergym(dot)com'.

Also, the suggestion to go to thesnookerfarm and get a day with Del is a good one although as far as I know Del doesn't do the video analysis with Dartfish like Nic does and this is a very valuable tool to show the student just exactly what was going wrong and allows Nic to analyse and correct any faults you may have very rapidly. I use the same methods here too but a little too far away for you I would imagine

Terry
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

I live in Crawley, West Sussex and coached juniors for 5-6 years, 3 of whom went on to win town titles and one of whom won the county U21 title. As Simon said (no pun intended) you seem so keen Luke I wouldn't mind coaching you, but surely someone at Woking could take you on? Ask to play a few sessions against Mark Leonard and see if he'd help you, or at least know of someone more local to you who may be interested in helping you out.
                        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Thanks for mentioning me Jaycho.

Hi Saddler79, my contact details are on Del's Snooker Farm website, alternatively you can e-mail me at snookercoaching@ymail.com if you are interesting.

Thanks,

Andy Brett.

Comment

Andy, Hello again, I would say a couple of year,s because instead of continually hitting a ball hard and using spin to get what I want, I needed to begin to use the grip/wrist with little backswing to cue properly, especially with the faster cloths etc.

I did have some coaching from the late Sydney Lee in Norwood London when I was 14 yrs but it doesn't count as it happened years before I deconstructed.

Any one who knows me will tell you that I am a bit of a cueing nut, and really I did it on my own and watching/reading.

Comment

Originally Posted by simon dent View Post
                              Andy, Hello again, I would say a couple of year,s because instead of continually hitting a ball hard and using spin to get what I want, I needed to begin to use the grip/wrist with little backswing to cue properly, especially with the faster cloths etc.

I did have some coaching from the late Sydney Lee in Norwood London when I was 14 yrs but it doesn't count as it happened years before I deconstructed.

Any one who knows me will tell you that I am a bit of a cueing nut, and really I did it on my own and watching/reading.
                              Yes, I was worried it would have been a lengthy process - you've got to be brave to start it, haven't you?! And it makes a lot of sense that you do it on your own - I find that trying really hard just to feel what my arm is doing makes me naturally cue that bit straighter. Cheers!
                              Andy Guest
                              www.mysnookerstats.com - free download now!

Comment

Working...
                              X