No announcement yet.

I need a coach...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, the older you get the more there is to remember because it doesn't come as natural as it used to.

Comment

just my opinion and I'm sure someone will have something to say about it - i can see coaching is a really good thing for people starting out and for those that don't really have a clue for the game but for me i think people can get too bogged down with the searching for something to make them better, look at Davis, hendry, white there isn't anything you could show or teach them that they don't already know so why aren't they playing like they once was. even the current top players including o'sullivan can play as if they've never seen a cue before. i personally believe most of this game is in the head if you know what i mean. when i play well and i think this goes for most players i don't think of nothing other than this is in and thinking of the next shot. when I'm not having a good day I'm thinking hmmm this is wrong or that's wrong and then it plays on ya mind which in turn mucks up ya game even more. so for me i think as long as you got a good basic technique and keep as still as possible on the shot, you should just play and forget about all the heading doing stuff lol. at the end of the day there is no set way of playing this game as such because nearly all players are different in the way they play.

Comment

Wow, thanks for so many replies, I thought about going to see Nic Barrow and also Del Hill, my friend sort of put me off of Del Hill slightly as he tends to do this different cueing thing which is different to what i do and that Nic Barrow's technique is more like my own.

I currently play a lot of frames with James Popplewell, Simon you played him at hte amateurs (assuming your the same Simon Dent! ) he is a very decent player, and has hit 128 against me and a number of high breaks he is themayorofflair on here. A very good player who is more or less unplayable when he is on form and i really enjoy playing him and have learnt a hell of a lot just from picking the balls out of the pockets when playing him!!! Unfortunately we have both been in this horrible "dark" snooker place and neither of us are playing very well atm, and ive just come back from Riley's with James and even though he wasnt playing his best he still managed to knock in a few 70's and a number of 50's and 60's so he is a very good player.

Recently ive been struggling to even make a 30 break which is so frustrating but somehow today i managed to turn on the style and knock in a 62 which i almost beat my highest break..

funny how this game goes!

i do think starting from scratch and learnin the basics before i try to do anything else will solve so many problems..maybe i will treat myself to a lesson with Nic as a christmas present to myself this year!

i dont know of anyone in Woking who would be available to coach me, my friend also suggested i go see Paul Mount at south west snooker academy but its a long drive away..

@tornado_taylor i understand what your saying...although i think i just need a reassurance that what im doing is correct, like i just dont have that confidence in myself that im doing what im supposed to be doing correctly and i feel like ive developed so many bad habits that that is what is holding me back and i wish i could just iron out my problems...like my stance, my bridge hand, my cueing rhythm etc...its more or less, ALWAYS different, i never really think about it, but now im thinking about it its never really hte same...i just cue as i feel but maybe if i had more of a routine and practiced it i can become more consistent, i just need someone to help me with that initial process...

thanks everyone for your comments!
        what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

good luck mate i hope you get your game back together and i believe like you say - it is a confidence thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by tornado taylor View Post
            good luck mate i hope you get your game back together and i believe like you say - it is a confidence thing.
            If coaching plays no part and it's all in the head and getting a few basics right then tell me why all the world champions of recent years in cluding davis, hendry and ronnie had coaching while they where winning WC's and still continue to receive coaching?

Comment

did they need coaching? its not working for them now. what does that tell you. its not as simple as telling someone what to do or we would all be on the tv.

Comment

i think you both have fair points...in my personal opinion i feel it would be a good thing to have someone helping you through things, i think its more about just giving encouragement and coaxing that confidence out of you, i guess thats what im after from my coach...someone who can build me back up and correct my flaws..its like having your trainer in your corner in a boxing ring..he doesnt really do anything but just tell you to keep going etc and points out bits and pieces that your either doing wrong, or what you should do that your not doing...

i dont know im all messed up haha
                what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

i get 50% off table fees at rileys victoria or watford clubs

anyone want coaching or practice?

Comment

Originally Posted by bretty View Post
                    Thanks for mentioning me Jaycho.

Hi Saddler79, my contact details are on Del's Snooker Farm website, alternatively you can e-mail me at snookercoaching@ymail.com if you are interesting.

Thanks,

Andy Brett.
                    What if I am boring! Thanks Jaycho and Andy. I will have a look at the details and let you know. Ive been playing CASUALLY for 16 years now and am probably too set in my ways with a limited number of hours in the week to implement any radical changes to my game. However, with the help of a good coach in fine tuning the basics of alignment and cue action I certainly feel I have the potential to push my game on a bit.

Comment

Sorry Saddler79 I meant to write interested, however I sure you are very interesting

Comment

You may find it worthwhile to check out franksandellcuesport.co.uk where you will find details of coaching in superb conditions in an area only about 1 1/2 hours away from you.

Comment

Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                          You may find it worthwhile to check out franksandellcuesport.co.uk where you will find details of coaching in superb conditions in an area only about 1 1/2 hours away from you.
                          Where are you exactly? I can't find it anywhere on the website...
                          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
                          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Coaching

Luke,
                            You may find it worthwhile to check out this site. www.franksandellcuesport.co.uk. Not far from you at Worthing Sussex.:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tornado taylor View Post
                              did they need coaching? its not working for them now. what does that tell you. its not as simple as telling someone what to do or we would all be on the tv.
                              I feel sorry for all those coaches out there as nobody really needs them

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                                I feel sorry for all those coaches out there as nobody really needs them
                                did i say that? if these top coaches have all the answers why ain't they top pro's. if a player goes for coaching and thinks he's benefited from it even a little bit then that's all good and worthwhile. i know mr barrow as i played at the same club as him years ago and for hour upon hour he would play a shot and right down in a book his analysis on it and i think that was detrimental to his game in the end but for the effort he put in studying the science of the game he has made a great name for himself as a coach and all the best to him for that. as i said its just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X