Cue Ball question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue Ball question

Ok, I know that if you pot the cue ball it is a foul, but I am wondering what happens to the cue ball after it has been potted, where is it placed on the table so that the next player can have his turn?

Originally Posted by Random147 View Post
    Ok, I know that if you pot the cue ball it is a foul, but I am wondering what happens to the cue ball after it has been potted, where is it placed on the table so that the next player can have his turn?
    The oncoming player has ball in hand and may place it anywhere inside the D at the baulk end of the table.
    "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
    - Linus Pauling

Comment

Just to be totally pedantic, you can't pot the cue ball in snooker. A pot is defined thus:

A pot is when an object ball, after contact with another ball and without any infringement of these Rules, enters a pocket. Causing a ball to be potted is known as potting.

Pedants, like referees, will normally refer to incidences of balls entering the pocket when a foul is committed, as pocketing the ball.

Comment

Thanks for the replys and I am very new to snooker I just got a set of snooker balls yesterday so I'm totally new to the game.

I have a few more questions

1. Is it a foul if you are attempting to pot a red ball but the cue ball touches a colored ball before the cue ball touches the red ball? and vice versa? and how many points does the other player get if this happens(foul points)? Also if the cue ball touches the colored ball but still ends up potting the red ball does the player who shot the cue ball get the 1 point for the red ball?

2. Is it true that as long as reds are on the table the incoming players object ball is always a red no matter how many turns they have previously had?

Comment

Thanks for the replys and I am very new to snooker I just got a set of snooker balls yesterday so I'm totally new to the game.

I have a few more questions
          The rules can be found here..
          http://www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm

1. Is it a foul if you are attempting to pot a red ball but the cue ball touches a colored ball before the cue ball touches the red ball? and vice versa? and how many points does the other player get if this happens(foul points)? Also if the cue ball touches the colored ball but still ends up potting the red ball does the player who shot the cue ball get the 1 point for the red ball?
          1a. If you're on a red and hit a colour, or on a colour and hit a red then it is a foul, yes.

1b. This one can be complicated, the opponent gets the highest value of the balls involved, or 4, whichever is higher. So, attempting to pot a red and hitting the black gives them 7 (black). Likewise attempting to pot the black and hitting a red gives them 7. Anything involving a red, yellow, green or brown gives 4, unless it also involves a ball with a higher value.

1c. If you foul, you get no points for the shot on which you foul. So, no, they don't get 1 for the red if they also pot a colour on the same shot.

2. Is it true that as long as reds are on the table the incoming players object ball is always a red no matter how many turns they have previously had?
          Yes and no. Yes the 'ball on'/object is a red. But, in the case of the 'free ball' rule following a foul (where all reds are snookered) the player may nominate a colour as if it was a ball on, in this case the colour is worth the value of the ball on, red, 1 point.
          "Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error"
          - Linus Pauling

Comment

Originally Posted by nrage View Post
            The rules can be found here..
            http://www.worldsnooker.com/rules_of_snooker.htm

1a. If you're on a red and hit a colour, or on a colour and hit a red then it is a foul, yes.

1b. This one can be complicated, the opponent gets the highest value of the balls involved, or 4, whichever is higher. So, attempting to pot a red and hitting the black gives them 7 (black). Likewise attempting to pot the black and hitting a red gives them 7. Anything involving a red, yellow, green or brown gives 4, unless it also involves a ball with a higher value.

1c. If you foul, you get no points for the shot on which you foul. So, no, they don't get 1 for the red if they also pot a colour on the same shot.

Yes and no. Yes the 'ball on'/object is a red. But, in the case of the 'free ball' rule following a foul (where all reds are snookered) the player may nominate a colour as if it was a ball on, in this case the colour is worth the value of the ball on, red, 1 point.

First, thanks for all your help

Second, back on my number 2 question, lets say player 1 takes the first shot of the match and "breaks up" the red balls, he does not pot anything, then player 2 comes up and pots a red, then he trys to pot a color but fails, he does not foul he just fails to pot the color, then player 1 comes up and pots a red, then he trys to pot a color, and also fails to pot it. Then player 2 comes back up, so is his object ball a red or is his object ball a color since he failed to pot a color on his last turn?

Comment

The rules will help you with a basic understanding of the game:

Section 2 rule 3:

(e) For the first stroke of each turn, until all Reds are off the table, Red or a free ball nominated as a Red is the ball on, and the value or each Red and any free ball nominated as a Red, potted in the same stroke, is scored.

Comment

Originally Posted by Souwester View Post
                The rules will help you with a basic understanding of the game:

Section 2 rule 3:

(e) For the first stroke of each turn, until all Reds are off the table, Red or a free ball nominated as a Red is the ball on, and the value or each Red and any free ball nominated as a Red, potted in the same stroke, is scored.
                Thanks , I should have read over the rules before I asked another question.

Comment

Read the rules of course, but please don't be afraid to ask questions on the forum, even if you think they may seem stupid. It's great to see someone taking up the game stateside!

Every time you come to the table your previous visit has no relevance. You have to start again every time!
                  Oh, and that's a bad miss.

Comment

Working...
                  X