Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please

Hi
    I am starting this new post ,because i have developed a problem whilst playing match snooker , that i wish to share with fellow members .

Firstly i will establish my level of ability which is relevant to the post .

I play in a north west of England league on a handicap of around - 20 . i have a high break practice of 118, and 73 in a match .
    So i am a suppose an average club player .

My point, i started playing snooker five years ago after a ten year break ,in that time i reached finals, and played to a reasonably high standard , but since last year , and all of this season [the last ten games ,] when playing match play, [ against ANY standard of player ] i can no longer hold the cue properly , or pot balls that are close together , my arms feel like i have just done 100 press ups , and i jab at every shot , my cue action does not help, i literally cue like Alex Higgins , head up after ball has been struck .[ but it worked for thirty years }
    It i guess must be a nerve problem , but as i stated it does not matter who i play it still happens .

My questions 1. has anybody else suffered this ?
    2. can it be cured ,or does it go on its own accord.
    3 what on earth is wrong .

I would really appreciate any help, as i will have to quit if i cannot sort it .

PS Just to add further point, last night played doubles tournament , same thing happened , lost match , played friendly game after 50 odd break .

Hi Hignbreak ,

Much the same as you . H/B 104 in practice 73 in a match .

Had been cueing poorly for sometime and at the ripe old age of 40 went to see a coach . Told me some pretty basic stuff but some of it was new to me . This then helped me in the next league match i played last week and knocked in the 73 . I seemed to concentrate more due to what i'd been taught . I suppose it gave me better focus .
    Do you think a liitle coaching session would help ? I only had a 2 hour lesson , but will be going back for a few more .

They do say that you can't teach an old dog new tricks but in my case you can !
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by highbreak 8 View Post
      Hi
      I am starting this new post ,because i have developed a problem whilst playing match snooker , that i wish to share with fellow members .

Firstly i will establish my level of ability which is relevant to the post .

I play in a north west of England league on a handicap of around - 20 . i have a high break practice of 118, and 73 in a match .
      So i am a suppose an average club player .

My point, i started playing snooker five years ago after a ten year break ,in that time i reached finals, and played to a reasonably high standard , but since last year , and all of this season [the last ten games ,] when playing match play, [ against ANY standard of player ] i can no longer hold the cue properly , or pot balls that are close together , my arms feel like i have just done 100 press ups , and i jab at every shot , my cue action does not help, i literally cue like Alex Higgins , head up after ball has been struck .[ but it worked for thirty years }
      It i guess must be a nerve problem , but as i stated it does not matter who i play it still happens .

My questions 1. has anybody else suffered this ?
      2. can it be cured ,or does it go on its own accord.
      3 what on earth is wrong .

I would really appreciate any help, as i will have to quit if i cannot sort it .

PS Just to add further point, last night played doubles tournament , same thing happened , lost match , played friendly game after 50 odd break .
      maybe you are thinking too much about your game technically? eg wondering if you are cueing straight/grip/stance etc? when sometimes you just need to get down and play the pot?

it definitely sounds like a problem in your own head, i suffer from this a lot in matches too

Comment

You're bottling it basically. Just relax and chill out and try to remember you're supposed to be enjoying it! If you can learn to calm down, your relaxed arm, grip, shoulder etc will all help you to deliver the cue smoother/straighter/better.
        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's thus far ., but if you read my post in the NERVES article ,it is something that i have never really suffered from , not the nerves that make you lack bottle anyway .

I really do think that my bad cue action , and some other problem like the yips has triggered this issue, as i stated it's EVERY shot in matchplay, [ even the break ] not the pressure shots, and thus far this season every player i have played i have had to give a head start to, [ between four, and thirty five points start ] so it's not the fact of being frightened of the opponent either .

I have decided to stop playing completely until Jan next year , then give it another go , but i will no longer enter competitions .

I will pass on any improvement re this issue to the forum , in due course , as it may help a fellow player see the signs earlier ,or help them in the future .

PS Keep the reply's coming in though .

Now........ where did i put my golf clubs

Comment

Working...
          X