How often do you change your tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you change your tip?

Right now I am considering changing my tip, because it seems to be getting a little flat.

I was wondering, how often do you change your tip and what tips do you use?

Hey google. it really depends on how often you play mate. as an example i play 5nights a week for around 2-4 hours a time. I change mine once every 5-6 weeks. someone who plays less (which is most as i have too much time on my hands during the day!) would be less. As a rule the best time would be when the tip is getting close to the ferrel. Well done on your 38 break yesterday!
    im dreaming of...a century:rolleyes: ..But one day...it will come.;)

Comment

I play everday for a few hours, so I might change it soon, because it is getting a little shorter than it was when I first got the cue.

And thanks, the next target is 40

Comment

I like to experiment with my tips, when I put a new one I try different brands/sizes tips, ones I don't like normally last about a week before I chop em off. When I'm happy with one though, I tend to leave it until it wears quite well down, maybe 3 months. (I play once a week ish).

As for brand, I've always been happiest with blue diamond, but it's another thing that's down to preference. Elkmaster and BD are the big two, I'd always suggest going with one of them first if you just want a pretty mainstream, quality tip. Either way it'll most likely be better than the one that came with your cue.

Comment

I suppose I just sandpaper it down when I want my new one?

Comment

i change the tip when it needs done

that is, when its too small to be good consistency (particularly when the edges are too close to the ferrule), or its damaged.

i use different types of tip, depending on what cue its going on and also depending what the cue gets used for. (9 ball, snooker etc....)

Comment

Originally Posted by googlefooger
              I suppose I just sandpaper it down when I want my new one?
              Depending on how well it's stuck you should be able to just push it off with your thumb, or failing that you can cut it off with a sharp knife.

I wouldn't use sandpaper as:
              a) it'll take all day
              b) it leaves a smooth surface, you need some roughness for the new tip to stick
              c) and thirdly you don't want to sand your ferrule. As it is, it'll be perfectly flat, and you should aim to keep it that way. Scraping the crud off with a blade rather than sanding it off ought to be kinder to the ferrule.

Once you've got all the old tip off, cut the new one roughly to size with a blade, (try to cut in a downwards direction only), then glue it on with superglue gel or tip cement (avoid liquid superglue), leave to set and then finish off with blade and sandpaper (again in a downwards direction to avoid pulling all the fibres apart).

Make sure when you glue it that's it's stuck all the way around. Don't be alarmed though if it comes sraight off when you start using it, that occasionally happens. Just sand the glue off the tip, scrape the ferrule clean and try again. Some people say using a wafer of tissue paper between the ferrule and tip helps it bond better, might be worth trying if you're having trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, when the time comes I'll definitely try that.

Comment

Originally Posted by googlefooger
                  Thanks for the advice, when the time comes I'll definitely try that.
                  ive retipped hundreds of cues. i always use light sandpaper (W/D) to ensure a smooth finish for the new tip.

less than 3 off those ive retipped have came off.

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                    ive retipped hundreds of cues. i always use light sandpaper (W/D) to ensure a smooth finish for the new tip.

less than 3 off those ive retipped have came off.
                    In that case, semih sounds like the guy you should be listening to. I've retipped maybe 50, had 4 or 5 come off.

How do you prepare the surface of the tip, out of interest?

Do you see where I'm coming from about concern for the ferrule though? It's quite hard unless you know what you're doing to keep a surface flat while sanding it. Brass isn't that tough.

Comment

robert

not saying youre wrong, as some people i know say the same, but ive found it makes little difference

ill post how i retip cues in a mo

Comment

- cut off the old tip at the ferrule with a sharp knife

- put sandpaper on a table

- hold the cue upside down and sand the top of the cue in a circular motion, so that you dont wear out one side more than the other

- turn the cue around and lightly sand the top down to a very smooth finish

- measue the ferrule width

- choose a new tip at least 1/2 a mm bigger in diameter than the ferrule

- sand the flat side of the tip in a circular motion, again so that the tip doesnt get sanded lop sided

- put a small spot of superglue gel on the flat side of the tip, covering less than half of the area with glue, as it will spread out.

- prss the tip down onto the prepared cue and hold in place with your thumb, pressing down firmly for about 2 minutes or so

- leave the cue to stand for at least 10 minutes, but longer if you can. absolutely no need to leave overnight or similar ridiculous times

- turn the cue upside down again. press down on the cue slightly and, using a sharp knife, trim the excess of the tip. pressing down on the cue will hel to stop the blade of the knife separating the glud tip from the cue.

- once youve turned the cue around and trimmed down the overlapping part of the tip your cue is nearly ready to use

- use sandpaper to slightly dome the tip always going from tip middle to the sides. never upwards, moving down grade of paper unto a finish where you like your cue tip to be shaped

- use the finest sandpaper you can source and spin it around the ferrule a few times, and then do the sides of the tip with it also

- to shine the ferrule, use worn fine sandpaper on it, spinning the cue around it, then use the paper side to buff it, spinning the cue around again.

- chalk the cue and your off

Comment

I only changed when needed, I got it changed about a month ago 'cos I was virtually hitting the ball with my ferral, but before that a good few months.

Comment

When I was playing I would leave putting a tip on till the last moment,, until I was nearly hitting the ferrule. I never played well with a new tip for weeks .
                            "I tried to be patient, but it took too long"

Comment

also, when retipping, if you havent got superglue gel and intend using superglue then you need to prepare the bottom of the loose tip once its been sanded or else the normal superglue will seep through the tip and can possibly make it go "off"

to do this you:-

- take the already sanded tip and burnish the flat end on an old varnished bit of wood so that you get a smooth/shiny finish. the tip is now sealed and ready for application with normal superglue.

Comment

Working...
                              X