Miss Rule Etiquette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Rule Etiquette

During a recent Snooker tournament a situation arose where I was tucked up by a fiendish snooker. At the time I was about 20 points behind with 4 reds left on the table.

Having tried unsucessfully to escape from the Snooker four times (the white being replaced by my opponent each time) my opponent replaced the ball for a fifth time I decided to concede the frame due to the fact that it was obvious I was not going to be able to escape & my opponent was not going to relent until I needed Snookers !

Each time I had obviously made every effort to hit the reds but alas did not have the angle (or the skill) required to hit them.

Whilst I guess my opponenent was totally keeping within the rules, I am not so sure that his actions were really within the spirit of the game.

When the shoe was on the other foot in a previous tournament where I had my opponent tucked up in a nasty snooker, once he had tried three times & failed to hit the intended object balls I decided not put the ball back a fourth time (even though nothing was on) as it was obvious that they had tried (just as I had) to hit the intended balls. Maybe I am just too soft ?

I have to admit to stating my discontent at my opponents actions (very unlike me really) when conceding but made sure that I remained as magnaminous in defeat as possible congratulating him on this excellent play elsewhere in the match.

I would be very interested to know my fellow forum memebers feelings on such a situation as I am sure it is not an isolated incident & will have happened to others also.

I guess it is down to to each individual.................

What tournament was it James , in our Tuesday league where the standard is quite decent we dont play misses as we all trust that the players will make a genuine attempt to escape a snooker .

Comment

It was an EASB event.

I am not pointing fingers at anyone as each individual is entitled to their own interpretation of the rules, I am merely interested in other forum members take on how they would have handled a similar situation (from both sides) as I am guessing I could have handled things better myeslf !

Comment

In the amateur game the miss rule is a great way for guys with no bottle to win frames without potting the balls. I have seen some unbelievable desperation using the rule.

With no ref I played the rule as follows. If I played the first miss I offered a miss. Depending on my opponents response is whether we played the rule. If my opponent played the first miss and offered a miss the same applied.

If my opponent did not offer and then later asked for one I refused to give it. I absolutely hated the guys who would say nothing and then put you back as quick as they could.

Comment

The EASB powers that be have advised TDs to announce that a referee should be called to adjudicate after two misses have been called, so that they can use their professional skill and judgement in impartially deciding whether further misses should be called, and certainly before awarding a frame for three misses.

Which tournament was it and where?

Comment

personallly i dont play the rule and many other players in my club don't as it can get nasty and complicated

Comment

The miss rule is a nightmare....thankfully ive never found myself in this sort of situation...but im sure it will come a time where i will be!
              what a frustrating, yet addictive game this is....

Comment

I've seen a number of situations with the Miss rule that I don't like:
                • Desperadoes putting you back no matter what because they're desparate for the points.
                • People taking advantage in the Tuesday night league I play in were the Miss rule isn't played by playing "safety shots" instead of a genuine escape attempt.
                • Eejits who are nowhere near good enough thinking the Miss rule is how they see it applied on TV i.e if you miss it's a miss.

On the last point in particular I've seen players penalising themselves as well as trying to do it to their opponent when it's obvious that their level of skill means that they have very little chance of getting anywhere near escaping from a tricky snooker.

Comment

If we are applying the miss rule we have a sort of unofficial house rule that limits you to a maximum of 3 misses. We play in a very friendly spirit though!
                  王可

Comment

We played one of our ranking tournaments yesterday and I had a case like this. My opponent fluked a snooker which left me frozen behind the yellow and with one red tight behind the black. I had 20 points at the time.

The only escape I could figure out was a 5-cushion escape sort of like a cocked-hat double as 2 or 3 cushions were out because of how the remaining colours were placed.

First attempt I hit the black and left him the red on an easy pot for a black and possible clearance. He called a miss and put the balls back. Second attempt I over compensated and missed again. Third attemp I missed the red by about 1/2in and left a free ball but he put the ball back. Fourth attempt I hit the red but left it on and he cleared up to win the frame.

Here's what this little exercise told me. The first attempt leaving him a red he didn't have the confidence in himself to clear the table even though when he was forced to later he was able to do it.

I lose a lot of respect for players such as this who take ADVANTAGE of the miss rule plus the fact that although I'm a fairly skilled player a snooker such as this is in the Steve Davis class and although I hit it at my fourth attempt it was just luck really as the cushions were not true and the table was very slow and I had to really pound the ball just to get 5 cushions worth.

I think it's time for a change in the miss rule...after 3 attempts ball in hand in the 'D' and play on.

Terry
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Its such a shame to hear about people abusing the miss rule.......

Why don't people play the game the way it should be, take the chances when they arise and not just when there forced into it!!

I know we all want to win..... but its also about fair play!!
                      Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
                      Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

I think the question highlights the need for the rule to be altered.

I personally always play, even in practise, the pro-standard miss rule - play until you hit the ball. It's the same for both players, it teaches you angles etc. It leaves you with some sort of a successful shot rather than an unsuccessful one.

I think in an EASB event the players should all be good enough to be playing the same. I qualify this, however, by stating that for over ten years on all snooker forums I've been on, I've argued for the rule to be altered. The rules should be universal - the same for everyone regardless of ability. A well played or fluked snooker should never be overly rewarded with 20-30 points or more! One shot should never gain anyone that many points.

An alternative such as Terry suggested - 3 misses, ball in hand should be applied. Or just a maximum of 3 misses period. Play from where the ball lies or put your opponent back in if you don't like it - you've at least gained 12 points.
                        I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

I think the miss rule is fine for pros as it's virtually a level playing field. Terrys example above is a perfect example of a guy with no bottle to finish the frame finishing it by another means.

In the amateur game no more points after three misses, put it back once more and play on. Loss of frame if the snookered player plays a different shot the fourth time.

Comment

If you try so hard and don't make it 4 times, then...

WHAT A REF was there? The opponent only? If you just CAN'T DO IT, then that's not a miss, just a foul...

THAT's where the problem arises. It's not the rule itself, it's the players having no idea how to use it/call misses.

Comment

Well you can't blame them really. The referees on TV call anything and everything a miss nowadays.

Very few instances (and fewer referees) where they will acknowledge that it was a valid attempt to break the snooker.

Comment

Working...
                              X