Match stats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Match stats

When the match stats come up with the players' percentage for safety play, I always wonder what the definition of a 'successful' safety shot is. Is it a safety shot your opponent fouls from, fails to gain an advantage from, leaves you an easy pot from.... what??

I would say a snooker was a 'successful' saftey shot, but if your opponent escapes from it and doesn't leave you a pot, was it successful?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

It is based on if your opponent pots of not.

Player 1 safety
    Player 2 safety
    Players 1 safety
    Player 2 Safety

This would give player 1 a 100% safety success

Player 1 safety
    Player 2 safety
    Players 1 safety
    Player 2 pot Red

This would give player 1 a 50% safety success

Comment

Good question, Billy! I've always been wondering about this as well.

So, if I got this right: if player A plays a poor safety, and player B does NOT pot but replies with an excellent hard-to-get-out-of snooker, then A's initial safety shot would still be rated as "successful"?

Comment

Yeah I think that is correct.

What you got to think about is automated systems that deliver us the statistics, somebody is there tapping in if a pot is made, a long pot is made, a pot is not made and a long pot is not made or indeed a safety shot is made, a computer then gives you the stats based on simply equations.

If you had to stick a human judgment into this then its not that automated as everybody's judgment is different, now when I was doing the stats for the Williams v Higgins game lastnight, I had to make a call that anything that traveled over half the tables length not including doubles would be classed as a long pot, I am not sure if this is the same as the BBC do it but that was my decision and I will use that line of measurement from this point on if I do more stats.

Comment

Funnily enough I thought this was the way it worked as well, but in one of the semi's this year the safety percentage was at 88% and then a shot was played which left a ball close to a pocket and it dropped to 87%. Higgins missed the ball but it remained at 87%.

Comment

Interesting, you could always ask David Hendon! I know that Clive Everton and Dave supply The BBC with head to head stats and player info, maybe he will know how it works if I am incorrect.

Comment

Well thanks very much for all the replies, people. I'm not sure we're any nearer the answer, but ferret's answer is a starting point.
              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Working...
              X